A-1J Skyraider. VA-165 'Boomers'

Ian

I've posted the obligatory box-shot in the 'show your builds' thread, so no need to re-post that here.

I have made some small progress, the interior is painted and I've started attaching the Eduard Zoom Set, accompanied by much swearing, growling and screams of frustration, so-much-so that my wife has banned me from doing any more unless the little-uns are already asleep or in nursery ! Isn't worth posting any progress pics just yet, I'll wait until all of the cockpit is done, which should be by the end of the week. After that, IIRC, the rest of the kit really does fall together. I've asked my good friend the ANCIENT MARINER if I can use his place to spray the thing, as our 'schloss' is still a wee bit upside down following the loft conversion, and my painting shed is still full-to-bursting with my stash !!

AFN

Ian

Edited by Ian

Taking some time off work to nurse Mrs Ian (the next two nights), she's caught a h*ll of a virus off one of her own patients, so when she's asleep or resting I'll get some time-in at the workbench.

Ian

Cockpit done, Eduard Zoom set added.... not too bad even if I say so m'self !

Skycockpit.jpg

As this is typed the fuselage halves are drying, don't anticipate too much in the way of rubbing down later !

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Getting there quite quickly now...

Sky1f.jpg

Still needs an underside !

Sky1a.jpg

Sky1c.jpg

Sky1e.jpg

After I get the lower fuselage together on Friday, I'll have to take an enforced break till the following week when I can get around to my mates' place to start spraying. As you can see the 'Out of the Box' mantra has been lost... I just couldn't help cutting-off the elevators ! :blush:

Thanks for taking the time to look. As ever all comments, crticism and questions are welcome.

Ian

Stop fannying about and come round and spray it. :bangin::wicked:

Hi Alan

You are talking about Ian here :winkgrin:

Steve, formally known as Aircav. B)

Edited by worm

• 2 weeks later...

Not as much stalled, but sidelined whilst I get on with a major 1:1 domestic decorating project. The sooner I get my wife's home/office and my new hobby-room done, the sooner I can ghet back to building and painting small pieces of plastic..... talk about frustrating !! :frantic:

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
Not as much stalled, but sidelined whilst I get on with a major 1:1 domestic decorating project. The sooner I get my wife's home/office and my new hobby-room done, the sooner I can ghet back to building and painting small pieces of plastic..... talk about frustrating !! :frantic:

Ian

Well I'm back - four weeks after the post above, I'm finally 'back-in-the-saddle' and tomorrow (Wednesday), hopefully I'll be able to get the first couple of coats of white on this thing. It's been so bl**dy frustrating seeing everyone else steam ahead, leaving me a l-o-n-g way behind... OK back to it, pics will follow in due course.

Ian

Yep, finally got some 'Paint-Shed Time' this morning and came-back-in with this:

Sky2b.jpg

Sky2a.jpg

Couple of 'general' views: Using Tamiya acrylic black (XF1) for the deep shadows around the control surface hinges, and the (very) dirty area around the front fuselage, then did some of the panels in XF10, Flat Brown and XF63 German Grey.

Here's a couple of close-ups of the aforementioned 'dirty' area:

Sky2aport.jpg

Sky2astbd.jpg

As ever, thanks for taking the time to look. Any questions, comments or criticism welcome. More soon, perhaps even tomorrow !

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple more coats of Tamiya flat white onto the undersides this morning, then was able to top them off with a thin coat of glossy (white). Looks ok to me, but I do wear glasses from time-to-time :nerd:

Sky3a.jpg

Sky3b.jpg

Next, the loadout, flaps and elevators will be assaulted ! - Thanks for looking.

Ian

The preshading has worked out very nicely I'd say, very nice work indeed sir! There will soon be four Spads in the galleries before long, but I don't see that as a bad thing at all, yours will be the only USN bird so it works out nicely. :)

Used a wee tin of Humbrol 129 that I've had for years-and-years-and-years, just keep topping it up and thinning it down again with White Ensign, Xtracolour and (more) Humbrol.... sprays 'as-smooth-as-silk' every time. Anyhoos this is the first of three coats.

Sky4a.jpg

Sky4b.jpg

Sky4c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian