A-7A Corsair II CAG bird VA-56 "Champions"

Alpha Delta 210

Hi

I am going to build the rather ancient Hasegawa LTV A-7A Corsair II from the box with the kit decals for the CAG bird of VA-56 "Champions" (bureau no 152675). I will probably start building this evening and continue tomorrow evening during "Dancing on Ice"!

April 29 and 30, 1975:

The USS Midway, with the A-7As of the "Champions" embarked, participated in Operation Frequent Wind which was the evacuation of American citizens from Saigon, South Vietnam.

Here is the starting point:

a7a.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

Crikey - that's coming together quickly!

Love the colour scheme on the box :)

Iain

Hi Iain

I like quick builds from the box, as I am like a big kid who likes to see the models take shape rapidly! This one needed more filling and sanding than I was expecting from a Hasegawa kit, which has slowed me down a bit.

I will be finishing the model in the same markings as the box art.

aye, quick stuff, i watching this with intrest as i have a 1/72 A-7 in my stash, will be good to see how you tackle this.

Hi moofles

It is not the best-fitting Hasegawa kit, but the big, colourful decals should disguise some of the poor fitting parts!

Why did you not opt for the hobbyboss version, or was it simply what you had in your stash at the time? either way, its looking a damned sight better then my MiG at the moment lol.

Hi Moofles

I wanted to take part in the Vietnam GB, and this was the first kit that I found in my to do pile that fitted the bill!

Hello again

I managed to prime the Corsair before the light faded this afternoon and will use the white primer with a couple of coats of Klear as the white coat for the underside. I will probably get the first coat of Humbrol 129 US Gull Grey brushed on during "Dancing on Ice" this evening.

Unlike my recent Airfix 1:72 Buccaneer build, I have decided to leave the raised detail on this model.

a7aprimed1.jpg

a7aprimed.jpg

Hi all

I have peeled off the Tamiya tape and painted the canopy. I have mauled the kit seat (not yet installed) so that it is a fairer representation of the real thing. The canopy, nose cone and wheels are all located temporarily. Sow's ear to silk purse? Not quite, but she is starting to look the part. I can't wait to liven her up with those colourful decals! It's such a shame that work gets in the way...

a7acanopy.jpg

a7acanopy1.jpg

Hi

I haven't had much free time to work on the Corsair this week, but I have managed to get the decals on. Despite their size and complexity, they all went on without a hitch. I applied a coat of Klear to the model and then when that was dry, I applied some Klear to the immediate area that the decal was going to be applied to. This seems to work for me. I will hopefully finish her today by applying the pylons and stores and applying a thin Raw Umber wash followed by coat of W&N Acrylic Satin Varnish .

a7adecals.jpg

a7adecals1.jpg