Tamiya 1/48th Lanc

My offering is one that I started some years ago but which has been shelved for one reason or another (most of them Messerschmitt Bf110G-4s!). It's the Tamiya 1/48th Lancaster which I'm building with Eduard flaps, Belcher Bits nacelles and Eduard internal fuselage details. It's probably about on the 30% complete mark, but some of what has been done so far will be reworked so that I'm more satisfied with it, so in the early stages I'll be going "backwards" most noticeably the wing surfaces.

Max

Edited by galgos

A little background history to my Lancaster:

Lancboxlid.jpg

It will be finished (hopefully) in the markings of 467 squadron Lancaster ME453, lost with all its crew on 3 March 1945 whilst attacking the Dortmund-Ems Canal near Ladbergen.

Max.jpg

It was shot down by either Heinz Schnaufer or Georg Greiner, both flying Bf110G-4's, the former based at Gutersloh, the latter Dortmund. The plane crashed on farmland belonging to the Langkamp family in the village of Pentrup. I visited the site two years ago and spoke at length to Herr Heinrich Langkamp, an 8 year old boy in 1945, who showed me the areas where the main wreckage was and some of the bodies:

walkingtofield.jpg

And I left a commemorative plaque on a tree facing the fields:

oakplaque.jpg

I have several small pieces of the Lancaster which were found by a local aviation enthusiast who has a metal-detector, including some exploded 0.303 shell casings which were produced in 1944 at Radway Green in Cheshire:

DSC_1817288.jpg

This model is a further homage to the crew and all of those who gave their lives in Bomber Command in WW2.

Max

Edited by galgos
  • Like 1

I wanted my Lanc to have its flaps lowered so I used the Eduard P/E set:

flapset2.jpg

flapsset1.jpg

which was a fiddly job but finally ended up looking ok:

DSC_0280_edited-1.jpg

The next job was cutting off the flap area on the wing:

flapareacut.jpg

which went ok. The panel lines on the wings surfaces and on the ailerons are far too heavy and will be sanded back to a better representation.

Max

There are quite a few faults with the Tamiya Lancaster, one of the most obvious is the position of the window by the wireless operator's position. As moulded in the kit, it's too far forward and needs correcting.

I put a piece of card behind the existing window and drew through it to get its size and shape. Then I cut it out and stuck it using PVA in its proper position before drilling the four corners and centre.

firstdrills.jpg

I put strips of masking tape to define the edges then took the card off.

markedout.jpg

The new window was cut out fairly accurately but still needs a bit of tidying up. The old position will be filled with plasticard. The windows along the fuselage sides have also been added, though by the time that ME453 was produced these had become redundant so they'll be filled and sanded prior to painting.

windowfinished.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Great start Max. Just a thought, a friend of mine at model club (Stever219 of this site) has suggested in the past using the kit clear part to fill in the wrongly located window aperture and use Krystal Klear to glaze the new window, a task which can of course be done towards the end of the build. Keep up the good work.

Tony :clif:

I'll be going "backwards" Nothing new there of course.

Not bad I suppose - and I trust you will be making some of the other necessary corrections, of which I know you are aware. However I see that you have not attempted to correct the fuselage section error. Tut tut. Mind you not much progress given you started it so long ago!! :smartass::tease:

Oh and in anticipation of your reply - do be careful - at your age. old boy.

Edited by miduppergunner

I'll be going "backwards" Nothing new there of course.

Not bad I suppose - and I trust you will be making some of the other necessary corrections, of which I know you are aware. However I see that you have not attempted to correct the fuselage section error. Tut tut. Mind you not much progress given you started it so long ago!! :smartass::tease:

Oh and in anticipation of your reply - do be careful - at your age. old boy.

Oh dear, not YOU again!! B****r off!! :rolleyes::wicked:

My intention is to have the main door open on my Lanc with crew etc standing around pre-op. As such of course some detail needs adding to the fuselage interior so a flare shute is a "must". Details of progress and test fits:

flare1.jpg

I enlarged an interior drawing to scale size to get an idea of the shute size and angle.......

flare2.jpg

.......then built it from plasticard. Some of the wiring will be added from 0.2mm leadwire when painted.

flare4.jpg

A trial fit to make sure it looks more or less right. As can be seen from this shot, I've already added some of the internal framing of the fuselage.

Max

• Like 1

I've been doing some work on the gun turrets. The things supplied with the kit looked more like matchsticks than .303 Brownings so I sent for some beautiful turned brass ones for all three turrets.

brassguns2.jpg

Since it seems as though most rear gunners opted to cut a section, or all, of the perspex from the turret to improve their ability to spot nightfighters, I decided to do the same. With a section open, and the accurate barrels, adding some detail to the turret was essential - all based on contemporary photographs.

rearguns2.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Those barrels are of course superb. Remains to be seen of course if the standard of workmanship compliments them. By the way old boy you can of course disclose the source of such purchases if you wish, on this site I believe. Some might like to know. And the turret is indeed encouraging. Clearly your pupilage has been beneficial. :smartass:

I'm using the Eduard PE set to provide extra detail with the navigator and w/op's equipment as well as the pilot's seat.

wopnaveqpmt009.jpg

wopnaveqpmt010.jpg

wopnaveqpmt008.jpg

The map on the nav's table is a scaled down one drawn on the actual operation on the final night of Lancaster ME453! It struck me as curious that the kit provides an H2S dome, but no internal "black boxes" so i had to scratch build the Rx/Tx, display and support structure.

navstation2.jpg

Max

Edited by galgos

A bit more work on the starboard side of the fuselage, including the ladder down into the bomb-aimer's section. I enlarged some plans to scale size then made one out of stretched sprue.

ladderetc002.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind that the ladder WAS painted yellow on the wartime Lancs; I've studied many contemporary photos where the tonal variation of the monochrome pictures indicate that the ladder was lighter than the rest of the interior but the clincher is that the nose section of DV372 (PO-F of 467 squadron) displayed in the IWM is as authentic as it gets, and her ladder is yellow!

baladder.jpg

Max