Avro Lincoln B.2/4A 1/72 scale Airfix conversion

Hello canberraman,

I did mine by counting the frames in the closeup pictures available in the Stewart Wilson book "Lincoln, Canberra, & F-111 in Australian Service". My assumption was that the frames were the same distance apart as a Lancaster. There are several good pix( pg.30,45 for example). My method was to count the number of frames between the rear transport joint and the strenghening fishplate on the fuselage.

The Lincoln Warpaint 34 has some also.

Added: I think the difference is about 4 frames. I spliced 2 Airfix dambuster Lancs together to make mine!

Edited by Tony Whittingham

Wasn't the Australian Lincoln longer?

Not sure if the difference, if any, was in the nose or fuselage though!

Hello canberraman,

I did mine by counting the frames in the closeup pictures available in the Stewart Wilson book "Lincoln, Canberra, & F-111 in Australian Service". My assumption was that the frames were the same distance apart as a Lancaster. There are several good pix( pg.30,45 for example). My method was to count the number of frames between the rear transport joint and the strenghening fishplate on the fuselage.

The Lincoln Warpaint 34 has some also.

Wasn't the Australian Lincoln longer?

Not sure if the difference, if any, was in the nose or fuselage though!

Hello Tony C,

As Far as I know the Aussie Lincoln Bombers were the same as RAF ones. Only the MR versions had extended noses.

Hope this helps,

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Ok, after what seems like an eternity things have moved on a bit over the last month and the Lincoln build is largely complete, and the first coats of paint have been applied.

Firstly however, Neil's suggestion that the Flightpath fuselage length from aft of the wings to the tailplane being too long was rather concerning, but it seems to depend on which set of plans you study. Using the Warpaint plans it does look about right but against the SAM ones it does seem a bit long - I will leave it for you all to decide but at this late stage I am not inclined to do any further major surgery!

The build was given a coat of Halfords primer whch exposed a number of flaws and scribing scars that were mainly filled with Tippex. The primer was then rubbed with 3200 grit Micromesh to give a nice smooth finish for top coating.

lincoln-16.jpg

lincoln-15.jpg

The black undersides were applied using Humbrol 85 Satin Black rattle can spray. The upper fuselage and wings were brush painted with Xtracolor Medium Sea Grey. The black exhaust stripes were masked and painted in Revell matt black, props and antenna using appropriate Xtracolor enamels.

lincoln-20.jpg

lincoln-19.jpg

lincoln-18.jpg

lincoln-17a.jpg

A few small details were applied after painting. The final stage will be application of Klear, decals, weathering and then a final matt varnish. the end is finally in sight!

Thanks for looking!

Mark

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this yet. It's inspiring to see a non-standard build like this coming together relatively quickly. Builds like this certainly encourage me to try something more challenging :)

Gents

Many thanks for the kind comments and words of encouragement. Hopefully I should be able to finally get the Lincoln ready for inspection by the end of the weekend - wife, shopping, grass cutting etc permitting! :winkgrin:

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally decided enough is enough, the Lincoln is now as finished as it’s going to be, and is there for viewing in the Completed Builds section (see pix at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=61441).

Here's a few shots I took as the build concluded.

lincoln-30.jpg

lincoln-29.jpg

lincoln-27.jpg

lincoln-25.jpg

A pair of Avro heavywights - seen here with Shackleton AEW.2

lincoln-28a.jpg

The final lap of this marathon journey was not without its dramas! During painting and finishing I lost count of the number of times I snapped off some of the white metal props and had to sand back and reattach with CA! Learning point from this exercise is to always leave white metal props and other fragile components until the very last stage. I also had ‘issues’ with the main undercarriage which kept breaking under the Lincoln’s not inconsiderable weight (due to the large lumps of resin contained in the build). I would accordingly like to thanks RAF Colonel (James) for kindly supplying me several sets of spare main undercart legs which was a godsend.

Prior to final completion, the whole model was given a couple of coats of Klear. This helped to give a smooth, shiny surface on which to apply the decals. These were sourced from my own decal bank and while not always entirely accurate, allow a reasonable representation of a Lincoln given that to my knowledge no aftermarket RAF Lincoln decals have been produced. It is also very difficult to source clear colour photos of Lincoln markings and stencilling in the MSG/Black Bomber Command scheme, and much of my reference for this build was the last surviving RAF Lincoln at the RAF Museum Cosford.

After decaling, I began the weathering process by applying the excellent Promodeller (Flory) dark wash which really helped to accentuate the panel lines and gave a slightly more worn appearance. The airframe was then given a couple of coats of Vallejo spray can acrylic matt varnish. I am really impressed with Vallejo varnishes being that they are easy to apply, quick to dry and never appear to suffer any subsequent yellowing. Final stage was to apply the multi coloured exhaust streak and burn marks using Tamiya weathering sets.

Avro Lincoln B.2 RF319/A of the RAF Wyton Radar Reconnaissance Flight is now finished and my contribution to this very enjoyable Lancaster Group Build concludes.

For those who are interested, here is some information I have gathered on the RRF and its operations with the Lincoln during the 1950s. 1323 RRF formed on 2 October 1951 at RAF Wyton from a flight of 58 Sqn and was equipped with a mix of Canberras and Lincolns. The Lincolns were used to prove the usefulness of using H2S radar photo overlays to enable the impending V Bomber navigators to identify and pinpoint their targets on their own radar sets. The RRF flew intensiive sorties while building up a library of target overlays and developing H2S into a dedicated side looking reconnaissance tool. The Flight moved from Wyton to Weston Zoyland in Aug 1955 and the Lincolns soldiered on until Augsut 1957 when the Valiants of 543 Sqn assumed the task.

Regards

Mark

Edited by canberraman
  • Like 3

Wow Mark, that looks stunning, love the weathering and it's a great shot next to the Shackleton. A very inspiring build that to look at it, you wouldn't believe there was any drama's incurred, all well recovered from :thumbsup2: