Polar Lights 1/350 Refit Enterprise

Hello folks,

I've set out on my journey to build the Enterprise, my 29 year old self hopefully fulfilling the dreams of my 5 year old self where lego just couldn't do the job back then! So I've started this weekend with the arboretum, making some tree aramtures from fuse wire doubled up several times, put into a drill chuck and twisted then unravelled at the top into branches, then covering in tamiya diorama texture paint soil. Some train layout bush material is glued onto the tops for the foliage. The lighter trees are a more basic trunk with just a wire but otherwise the same. These replaced the kit trees, some fir like ones are moulded onto the floor and were removed with my dremel type gadget. Tamiya soil was again used on the garden parts, then painted over the top with citadle greens and greys for rockery looking parts. Water was painted with citadel blue, then tamiya clear blue and tamiya clear. Pathways were painted with citadel foundation dheneb stone. The walls I imagined would look nice sky blue in such a space although no pictures seem to exist. Finally the outside of the part was painted black to keep the light from shining through as this model will be lit. I think that's the easy part done, it's going to get a bit tricky I bet, so I thought I'd do a work in progress from the start which I haven't done before- perhaps it will motivate me to see it through when I'm tempted to hide it away and forget about it for a bit! I think I could be a while on this one....

Thanks for looking,

Andy

enterprise006.jpg

on top of a small Tamiya pot!

enterprise005.jpg

enterprise004.jpg

Edited by Tabio

I can't tell if you're insane or a genius. Perhaps an insane genius. I will be watching this with interest so now you've started you can't let us down!

What kind of dimensions are we looking at here for the hull length?

Cheers,

Rob.

Hello,

here is an idea of the scale for those who were wondering, it's a 1/72 Spit between the nacelles, a quick measure up and it looks 34" long to me.

enterprisescale001.jpg

Oh, my...

Edited by Tabio

Nice start.

Looks very good. :thumbsup2:

I've got a couple of the original issue ones in the stash (did have 3, but sold 1 on e-bay last year :)).

Is yours the later one, with the Aztec decals?.

I'm planning to light mine all up as well, so I'll be taking notes here (not sure what I'm gonna do to replace that naff stand though).

:popcorn:

I could kick myself that I didn't pick one up when I saw it a show for £15! That was the pre-atzec decal release though.

Have to say the miniature work of the Enterprise in ST:TMP remains stunning, you almost feel they did film a full-size ship.

Have to say the miniature work of the Enterprise in ST:TMP remains stunning, you almost feel they did film a full-size ship.

Agreed. To me, it's the only effects work that really seems to convey the vastness of an interstellar starship.

Nice start.

Looks very good. :thumbsup2:

I've got a couple of the original issue ones in the stash (did have 3, but sold 1 on e-bay last year :)).

Is yours the later one, with the Aztec decals?.

I'm planning to light mine all up as well, so I'll be taking notes here (not sure what I'm gonna do to replace that naff stand though).

I've got the earlier one, bought it from on here actually. After doing the 1/1200 one with the decals all over it, I'm glad to be painting it! I've got some masks by Aztec Dummy. I've got an idea for the stand but will get it sorted in my head before I tell all!

I've got the earlier one, bought it from on here actually. After doing the 1/1200 one with the decals all over it, I'm glad to be painting it! I've got some masks by Aztec Dummy. I've got an idea for the stand but will get it sorted in my head before I tell all!

Yeah, I think I prefer the idea of painting it using masks rather than all that decalling. :hypnotised:

Look forward to seeing your stand solution, as well. :)

Indeed - there has been many sometimes heated discussions about the TMP enterprise paint scheme.

Head over to hobbytalk - there are some good threads going there about it.

Also - this chap's scratchbuild is very good:

http://galaxyphoto.com/ent_g_imag/ent_aztec_web/index.htm

Oh, and nice arboretum Tablo! Looking forward to this one!

Edited by Cimmerian

I'm sure most with an interest have already seen this site, written by the guy who did the actual painting, but I find it fascinating:

Paul Olsen

Good one, thanks for that!

I think the difference between the Enterprise stuff in ST: TMP and the ST 2009 reboot is that with the former you get the feeling you're looking at a real ship, with the latter you're looking at a very clever visual effect.

Good one, thanks for that!

I think the difference between the Enterprise stuff in ST: TMP and the ST 2009 reboot is that with the former you get the feeling you're looking at a real ship, with the latter you're looking at a very clever visual effect.

No probs - it's inspiring (at least for me :)).

The original was physically built, over a considerable length of time, by true artists, whereas the latter was built (virtually, not that that matters) over a much sorter timescale, by people who are most likely not artists. This doesn't mean they're not talented, but does mean they're less likely to do those little things that make an image seem real.

The original was physically built, over a considerable length of time, by true artists, whereas the latter was built (virtually, not that that matters) over a much sorter timescale, by people who are most likely not artists. This doesn't mean they're not talented, but does mean they're less likely to do those little things that make an image seem real.

I'm sorry, but that's plain nonsense. The difference between people who build models using plastic, wood, paint etc. and people who build models on a computer is that they are using different tools. The degree of artistic ability required in either case is the same, although in both cases technical abilities are probably required to a greater degree..

The existence of a computer running a CGI program does not substitute for "skill" any more than a paintbrush or a craft knife does. It's not the tool, it's the person using the tool who determines what the end product looks like.

I'm sorry, but that's plain nonsense. The difference between people who build models using plastic, wood, paint etc. and people who build models on a computer is that they are using different tools. The degree of artistic ability required in either case is the same, although in both cases technical abilities are probably required to a greater degree..

The existence of a computer running a CGI program does not substitute for "skill" any more than a paintbrush or a craft knife does. It's not the tool, it's the person using the tool who determines what the end product looks like.

Thanks for your input Bruce, but if you carefully read what I said, you'll find we're in complete agreement with what you wrote in your second paragraph, even though it contradicts your first paragraph. My point, if you'd cared to read it, was that the people who did the work on the movie Enterprise were artists first and foremost, not that those who utilise CGI were less talented.

Oh, and it's nice to meet you, despite the "nonsense" comment. Great start.

Edited by John Laidlaw

I think you'll find that John wasn't decrying any lack of actual technical skill or ability - CGI modelling requires huge amounts of skill not to mention talent - but more that the original 3D modellers working on ST: TMP had more of a feel for what would make the models seem real, which went from the paintwork and lighting on the model, to the types of lenses used.

The CGI in ST2009 is excellent, its ILM for the most part and they tend to employ the best of the best, but the devil is in the details, its like looking at two well made model kits, but one of them has that extra something that lifts it beyond the norm.

The miniature work in ST:TMP is exceptional, it truly was a labour of love for the crews working it.

A big box of LED's, resistors etc. turned up today. That's going to light up my model, apparently! I have some holes and grooves to cut...

DIY job, ehh?.

I'm not clever enough for that, so got one of DMLs Federation flasher sets instead. :D

DIY job, ehh?.

I'm not clever enough for that, so got one of DMLs Federation flasher sets instead. :D

Noooooo, I'm not that clever either, it's Trekmodeller's DIY kit, just solder it all up yourself. That was enough money but the pre-built one was much more. Had to be done though!