Focke Wulf Fw 189 A2 (1:48 GWH)

Mike

Thanks guys - I'm going to try & get the panel lines washed today, and maybe a flat coat on her after that for the rest of the weathering :)

Can't wait to see this one without the masking.

You & me both - I always get anxious to get the tape ripped off at this stage :frantic:

Once the decals were dry, I washed the panels with some Mig washes, using Dark wash for the upper surfaces, and Neutral for the underside. This shows off the nice crispy panel lines well, and doesn't look too pronounced to my tired eyes. I also repainted the flap bays, as I wasn't too happy with them. These also got a wash to bring out the strengthening ribs.I then gave the whole thing a coat of Vallejo matt varnish in preparation for the rest of the weathering.

First step was to airbrush on the exhaust staining, which I did with my usual Tamiya Smoke (X-19) with a drop of Nato Brown (XF-68) added to the later central strokes. I made sure that the staining extended onto the landing gear covers a little, and the corners of the flaps, as they would interrupt the airflow when lowered. I used a bit of the brown smoke to cut up some muck behind the tail wheel, and started chipping the airframe with some dark grey acrylic and a small W&N Series 7 brush. it's subtle, but will start to show up better once the later stages are done. You can see from the pics that I've removed the temporarily attached access panels on the port engine, mainly so that I could touch in the framing and panel edges with interior grey-green. I also painted in the exhausts with Games Workshop Boltgun Metal, which I'll tone down with some rust later on, touching in the central "hole" with black-grey and lining round it to make the panels appear to stop just short.

airframe8.jpg

airframe9.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Ammazing work! You're enjoying this one aren't you?

I am... despite some odd construction steps, it's been fun, if a little protracted due to various things. Still, I'm on the final stretch now, so it won't be long before I can start picking at those canopy masks! :frantic:

A bit more weathering done around the walkways and elsewhere, and the landing gear has been installed permanently now. I think I'll tone down the last bits of mud with an old toothbrush, and then see about giving it another sealing coat of matt varnish.

airframe10.jpg

• 6 years later...

Really amazing looking - I got half way on mine - then the glass house front was about .5mm too wide it seemed both sides of the fuselage side, so I put it on the shelf.... did you have that problem and solve it?

It may well of course have been an error I made in the run up to that... Rest of the kit seemed to come together very nicely. 

Anyway - a beautiful build of a less than traditionally beautiful aircraft! 

9 hours ago, bruce bay said:

then the glass house front was about .5mm too wide it seemed both sides of the fuselage side, so I put it on the shelf.... did you have that problem and solve it?

No, I didn't have that problem that I recall, and would have mentioned it at the time. :hmmm: I did shove a few bits of scratch-built stuff in, but the cockpit glazing seemed to fit pretty well.  Their masks didn't though, so I used Tamiya tape in the end. :shrug: