Welcome to the Lancaster Single Type Group Build

Bloody hell, didn't notice this until today.

Would a Manchester conversion count in this ?

I've ordered the HBM conversion set from Smudge and if I have time, would like to partcipate. If not I can always get my Dambuster done.

Absolutely, the Manchester is more than welcome

Antony

Can I join in on this?

I have a Revell 1/72 Lanc that I have only just started (since new year) and intend doing it in the markings of the Hendon Lanc - mainly because last year my mum got an award for her contribution to women's flying and the presentation was under the nose of the Lanc in Hendon museum and my parents bought me the model.

I am a newbie both to this forum and to modelling (back to modelling over the past year after 30 year break).

SLoB

Can I join in on this?

I have a Revell 1/72 Lanc that I have only just started (since new year) and intend doing it in the markings of the Hendon Lanc - mainly because last year my mum got an award for her contribution to women's flying and the presentation was under the nose of the Lanc in Hendon museum and my parents bought me the model.

I am a newbie both to this forum and to modelling (back to modelling over the past year after 30 year break).

SLoB

You most certainly can, I'll add you to the list and :post1:

Antony

I've already started mine (yesterday!) before I was even aware this was on! (Thanks for pointing it out Antony).

Can I join? And do I need to get my WIP thread (here) moved to the GB one?

I'll add your name to the list, welcome aboard! I don't know how to move threads but I'm sure one of the kind-hearted mods will do it for me if I ask nicely!

Antony

Edited by Antony Robertson
I can't spell!

What is right?

I mean Ive been looking at the various interior paint jobs and I am gob smacked at the wide variation some people have got within the interior so I have to ask what is right, where does the black end and the green start, does it go from the Bomb aimers station to the pilots panel, does it go as far back as the navs station? Is the head protector green or black someone please give me a bit of advice.

Hi Colonel

depends which Lanc or period you're doing. The early Lancs converted from Manchesters had interior green cockpits and blck B/A position. Later the black was extended to include the W/Ops station. Research is the snswer,

Regards

Paul

I have a question regarding the bomb bay of Lancasters. Were the bomb bay doors left open on the ground when at rest? It just seems a large proportion of lancaster pics show the bomb bay doors open when on the ground parked up.

so, usually open?

Or were they closed on the ground sometimes?

Any takers!

Hi Rowan.

Nearly all the pics I have of Lanc's at rest, the only time I see the bomb doors open is when they're being "bombed up".

And those that weren't on op's had the doors closed.

cheers Daz. I was hoping someone would say that :P I really really can't be bothered with painting all the bombs this time around.... :P

Excuse my question, but what is meant by Lancaster Single Type Group Build, & do you have to be a member of a special interest group to join in the build ? Why I ask is that I have a couple of 1/72nd scale Lancasters laying around & one would make a good change of pace for me from the biplanes I have been doing lately. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Excuse my question, but what is meant by Lancaster Single Type Group Build, & do you have to be a member of a special interest group to join in the build ? Why I ask is that I have a couple of 1/72nd scale Lancasters laying around & one would make a good change of pace for me from the biplanes I have been doing lately. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Hi Carl

The single type group build means that it's just that aircraft type and it's immediate "family", in this case the Manchester and the Lincoln. You don't need to be a member of any special interest group to join, just let me know if you fancy it and you are in!

Antony

Hi Carl

The single type group build means that it's just that aircraft type and it's immediate "family", in this case the Manchester and the Lincoln. You don't need to be a member of any special interest group to join, just let me know if you fancy it and you are in!

Antony

Antony I have a Revell Dambusters Lancaster model I can do. I will gladly take part. Thank you. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

I am currently putting together my cockpit for PA474 and I need you chaps help again...

I am at the stage where I am assembling the Flight engineers panel and Dickie seat and what I need to know is on PA474 does she have a dickie seat? Does she have that rare last/post war twin pilots configuration? What is its position on this particular craft. Lastly if she does have a dicky seat what is the paint scheme for a dickie seat? Is it plain interior green or is it interior green with a leather brown seat?

RAF Colonel

There are some photos of the interior of PA474 of the BBMF in 'Lancaster - A Bombing Legend' by Radell and Vines. From these photos it is confirmed that PA474 does retain the second pilot's control colum and yoke which appears in the form of a horizontal bar affixed to the main column with a yoke attached. The secomd pilot's yoke looks identical to the main one.

PA474 also retains a Dicky seat which is usually folded back on to the side cockpit wall. It looks olive/dark green in colour but it is difficult to determine whether it is fabric or leather padded - I would say that with a slight sheen it is a leather cushion but could be wrong.

Regards

Mark

I am currently putting together my cockpit for PA474 and I need you chaps help again...

I am at the stage where I am assembling the Flight engineers panel and Dickie seat and what I need to know is on PA474 does she have a dickie seat? Does she have that rare last/post war twin pilots configuration? What is its position on this particular craft. Lastly if she does have a dicky seat what is the paint scheme for a dickie seat? Is it plain interior green or is it interior green with a leather brown seat?

Terribly sorry to keep bugging you folks!

I have some booklets and magazines on the Lancaster but 85% focus on the pilots and missions and not the aircraft... But as stated I do have some which focus specifically on the Lancaster. My online searches usually extend more to S for Sugar and its 360 cockpit and usually the exterior of PA474. But 'Lancaster- bombing legend' is in the post now!

Thanks Mark, I will need to go and knock something up for the dual control yolk, as for the dicky seat its going to be in the folded away position.

For all members looking for interior, & other

details of The Lancaster, There are 3 sites with walkaround thumbnail pictures that you can find bon the internet. For the BoB Flight's Lancaster Prime Portal has one with 35 pictures including the cockpit area. They also have a W/A of Lancaster F M213. with several pages of pictures. & a W/A of a Lancaster X with 2 pages.

Aircraftresourcecenter.com has 46 pictures of PA474 BBMF, They also have a 44 picture W/A of a Lancaster in Australia.

cybermodeler online has W/A picturesof a B mk 7 & Bmk 10

This ought to keep the most die hard Lancaster modeler happy for a little while. My guess is that there are between 2 & 3 hundred thumbnail pics to study. AND DO NOT FORGET< ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT & PRINT IT OUT. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

Does anyone know the best way to get hold of the BBMF or anybody on here who may be involved in it at all?

Thanks

Antony

Hello Antony.

Thought you might have entered the Shack...

Anyway,to contact the BBMF go here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

At the top of the page is a small "contacts" drop down.

Also you can go onto Key Publishing's forum:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/

Make yourself a member(it's free)and put up a post for "Fluffy" or "Stormin' Norm".

Fluffy is Paul Blackah

Stormin'Norm is Norman Pringle

They're both well know BBMF types and should be able to help you out.

BTW,I'd enter my Lanc but she's about 98% finished.

Mark

Hello Antony.

Thought you might have entered the Shack...

Anyway,to contact the BBMF go here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

At the top of the page is a small "contacts" drop down.

Also you can go onto Key Publishing's forum:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/

Make yourself a member(it's free)and put up a post for "Fluffy" or "Stormin' Norm".

Fluffy is Paul Blackah

Stormin'Norm is Norman Pringle

They're both well know BBMF types and should be able to help you out.

BTW,I'd enter my Lanc but she's about 98% finished.

Mark

Thanks for that Mark, I'll give it a try later.

You could always start another one!

Antony

Right time to tap your knowledge again!

What happens to the Lancaster's crew door when its open, Its not like any door I know, does it come in, is it like an over wing air emergency door that pops out and is put away somewhere and is popped back into place where and when its needed?

Any info would be great!

• 1 year later...

I just signed up with Britmodeller and I am starting a Tamiya Dambuster. Looks like I may have missed out on your group build.

I planning on building a replica of No. 617's B.Mk.III flown by Flt. Lt. D.J. H. Maltby, the fifth aircraft to attack the Mohne Dam and cause the breach.

Can I look to Y'all for guidance?