Welcome to the Nam / SEA GB

smuts

Hi guys,

Welcome to the Vietnam wars GB from myself & Fisk, the GB will cover all combatants from the end of the second world war onwards & up to the border war with China over land, sea & air.

so here's a list of combatants...........

GB.

USA.

France.

North Vietnam.

South Vietnam.

South Korea.

Cambodia.

Australia.

New Zealand.

philippines.

Laos.

Thailand.

China.

Hope that's all the combatants...if there's anyone missing let me know.

Andy.......it begins :frantic:

Edited by smuts

Being dim again over here in the corner - what are the running dates for this GB?

EDIT: Doh - please ignore - found it - told you I was being dim! ;)

(8th January 2011 till 10th April 2011)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Hi

Please count me in with the rather ancient Hasegawa LTV A-7A Cosair II. I will build it from the box with the kit decals for the CAG bird of VA-56 "Champions" (bureau no 152675).

April 29 and 30, 1975:

The USS Midway, with the A-7As of the "Champions" embarked, participated in Operation Frequent Wind which was the evacuation of American citizens from Saigon, South Vietnam.

A couple of countries should be added:

South Korea sent a strong force to vietnam between 1968 and 1973. The Korean force was the second bigger foreign contingent after the US forces, much bigger than the better known australian one. At one point there were almost 50,000 korean troops in vietnam and the total number of soldiers serving in the SEA theatre totalled over 300,000 (the numbers for australia are around 60,000 total with never more than 8,000 soldiers in theatre at one time).

The Philippines sent a 2000 strong special forces contingent.

Being Dim (like Iain 32SIG), where are the banners for this GB and (saying this bit very quietly - how do I put one in my signature block, I've done it before but I've forgotten).

Wez

A couple of countries should be added:

South Korea sent a strong force to vietnam between 1968 and 1973. The Korean force was the second bigger foreign contingent after the US forces, much bigger than the better known australian one. At one point there were almost 50,000 korean troops in vietnam and the total number of soldiers serving in the SEA theatre totalled over 300,000 (the numbers for australia are around 60,000 total with never more than 8,000 soldiers in theatre at one time).

The Philippines sent a 2000 strong special forces contingent.

Thanks I'll update the combatants list now, I'll hold my hand up to never reading anything on South Korea's involvement or the philippines.

Andy.

Anybody remember Nam, the fortnightly publication by Orbis that came out in 1990? There was an excellent article on the ROK's involvement in an issue, they were apparently very effective and the VC and NVA tried to avoid contact with them wherever possible! I'm not sure if they had their own Hueys or M113s though, but they had a big contingent of troops.

Joel

From what I know, my understanding is that the Korean involvement has for long been forgotten in korea as well, as nobody wanted to remember a lost war where around 5000 korean soldiers lost their lives. Of course for us in europe it's always hard to hear much of the involvement of asian countries in wars, the news rarely mention them and the different languages prevent us from having easy access to their documents.

One of the old Osprey books on the armies in the vietnam war has a very brief chapter on the korean and philippine contribution, a few pictures of ROk troops and a plate of a philippines SF man in vietnam.

From a modelling point of view I guess the two countries can't offer much unless anyone is into figures..

Talking about small and little known contributions, north korean aviation units are known to have served in norh vietnam during the war. However it's not clear if pilots only were sent or planes were sent too, and in this case if north korean insignia were worn. It is more likely that any plane would have had vietnamese insignia, as such I don't think north korea should be included for the purpose of the GB.

Am I correct in thinking French Indochina era aircraft could be included in this groupbuild? If so, people may find this website very useful!

http://hedgehoghollow.com/awoic/

some very interesting modelling opportunities there...

Will

Hi Will, yeah the GB spans from the end of WWII with the British occupation through to the late 70's early 80's & the border fights with the Chinese.

HTH Andy.

Hi:

I am a Vietnam Veteran and was over there from Oct 66 to Oct 67. I was a weapons loader stationed Ubon RTAFB. Here's a few of my era builds

Hi:

I am a Vietnam Veteran and was over there from Oct 66 to Oct 67. I was a weapons loader stationed Ubon RTAFB. Here's a few of my era buildspost-4848-1294262697_thumb.jpg

post-4848-1294262664_thumb.jpg

post-4848-1294262681_thumb.jpg

post-4848-1294262745_thumb.jpg

post-4848-1294262756_thumb.jpg

Hi:

I am a Vietnam Veteran and was over there from Oct 66 to Oct 67. I was a weapons loader stationed Ubon RTAFB. Here's a few of my era builds

Hi John Superb builds there, nice to see them love the Phantom - Great to have a Vet on board as well

I am still in with a skyraider (1/72) for the GB

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

Hi John Superb builds there, nice to see them love the Phantom - Great to have a Vet on board as well

I am still in with a skyraider (1/72) for the GB

Wayne

Thanks, glad to be here, My current build in era is the Trumpeter 1/32 MiG 17F that a friend gave me. I got the AMS resin cockpit, vac canopy and NVAF decals for Xmas. I will be doing it as red 3026 WIP photos here:

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/Jo...0MiG%2017%2032/

This GB seems to have crept up on me, I was planning on entering it with a 1/48 Tamiya A-1H Skyraider, as I've had it sat in the stash for a very long time and it'd be a real shame not to build it in this group.

I'm probably gonna be in 3 group builds by the weekend, yikes! still, It gives me a good chance to attack my stash :D

This GB seems to have crept up on me, I was planning on entering it with a 1/48 Tamiya A-1H Skyraider, as I've had it sat in the stash for a very long time and it'd be a real shame not to build it in this group.

I'm probably gonna be in 3 group builds by the weekend, yikes! still, It gives me a good chance to attack my stash :D

Thanks. I am glad to be here

I suppose that if you don't participate, you can't say "You don't know man, you weren't there", whilst practicing a 1,000 yard stare? :hmmm:

As long as you dont wear a boob tube and mini skirt and go round saying "Me luurve you long time Gee Aye" if it does happen!

• 4 weeks later...
ok what did the Philippine air force operate during the Nam war?

The only ones I knew of, as far as fighters go were the F-5s

l know they had them and F-8s but l wonder if the F-8 had any action

The Philippines only sent ground troops during the Vietnam war, No philipino plane operated over vietnam.

F-8s entered service in the Philippines in 1978, after the end of the war.

The Philippines only sent ground troops during the Vietnam war, No philipino plane operated over vietnam.

F-8s entered service in the Philippines in 1978, after the end of the war.

True. The F-8s were ex french