New Red Arrows Paint Scheme

XV107

Alas, we're kinda stuck with the font - it's their shiny new RAF "corporate logo" nonsense. Anything to do with RAF promotions now has to have this titling on it, plus their copyrighted "RAF marking" which is of course a British Military Roundel, and as such it doesn't even belong to them! It's a farce. Like everything else these days, the PR machine has latched-on to the RAF now and we're doomed! I feel sorry for the men and women of the RAF that are going to be subjected to these promotional excursions; judging from my own recent experience with their PR machine. Gawd 'elp em!

Alas, we're kinda stuck with the font - it's their shiny new RAF "corporate logo" nonsense. Anything to do with RAF promotions now has to have this titling on it, plus their copyrighted "RAF marking" which is of course a British Military Roundel, and as such it doesn't even belong to them! It's a farce. Like everything else these days, the PR machine has latched-on to the RAF now and we're doomed! I feel sorry for the men and women of the RAF that are going to be subjected to these promotional excursions; judging from my own recent experience with their PR machine. Gawd 'elp em!

Who do the roundels belong to then?

thats true. the raf merlins are now starting to get new corporate markings. its supposed to stop the media calling them "army helicopters" but it looks like a recruitment ad to me

Who do the roundels belong to then?

the MoD i suppose

Edited by paul_c

the MoD i suppose

Which is basically the RAF isn't it? I checked the trade marks registry online, and the RAF roundel is a registered trademark for quite a few things (including model kits! but not t-shirts...) and you're right it is the MOD that owns them. So I guess the RAF (via the MOD) do own the roundel. Isn't really that surprising though is it?

In case anyone's not seen it (and with apologies if I've missed a thread on this already!)

RedArrows2.JPG

I spoke to 2 red arrow pilots on Monday morning and they told me that the while chatting to the general public at shows, the most common question was "who do you work for?" !!!!!!!! The majority of the "great un-washed" (remember we are talking about "Muggles" here) did not know the Reds were RAF. The guy I was talking to said that most people thought they were sponsored by Coca Cola!!! He was most depressed by the whole thing and he wasn't winding me up! :confused:

hence the new branding with the big ROYAL AIRFORCE down the side!

G

Unfortunately, the corporate branding saga just gets worse as time goes by, and the RAFAT is just the latest victim. The titling on helicopters might well end-up on fixed-wing aircraft too the way things are going, especially now that France seem keen on going the same way, and of course Canada already has. The roundel business is quite comical, as it just illustrates how little grasp these PR/marketing people have of military history. Such was their eagerness to create a pretty logo they could use to make money, they failed to even grasp that it wasn't an RAF marking in the first place. But that's the way it is sadly. I'm particularly unimpressed that they demand license money off kit manufacturers in order to allow decal sheets to be produced, knowing full well that the manufacturers haven't got the cash and resources to take 'em to Court and tell 'em to get lost! It's shameful. I've had my own dealings with these people myself over the past year or so, and they're bad news, believe me. They're only concerned with either making cash or promoting themselves, and have no interest in projecting a positive image of the "real" RAF that they've hijacked.

I spoke to 2 red arrow pilots on Monday morning and they told me that the while chatting to the general public at shows, the most common question was "who do you work for?"

fair question in todays world, the Royal Navy "Black Seahawks" team have Hawks flown by Serco and Falcons flown by FRA! :rolleyes:

What wrong is on this F-16 scheme is that it is not original as it was done by people who realy love to do an scheme on an aircraft and who work with it, as was the case in the past. Also The scheme is used for recruitment of young soldiers. Nthing wrong with that, but to paint such titles on an F-16 to me is just too far. And I dislike the scheme because it is way too glossy! It is an aicraft and it is not an billboard!

I preferred the old version..This would have looked awesome had the wording not being there and the stripe only running to the tail.........almost reminds ME of the USA THUNDERBIRDS....I said ALMOST.....but not quite the PZAZZ of the THUNDERBIRDS!

:fraidnot:

Houston

What wrong is on this F-16 scheme is that it is not original as it was done by people who realy love to do an scheme on an aircraft and who work with it, as was the case in the past. Also The scheme is used for recruitment of young soldiers. Nthing wrong with that, but to paint such titles on an F-16 to me is just too far. And I dislike the scheme because it is way too glossy! It is an aicraft and it is not an billboard!

But then aren all special schemes on display aircraft, aerobtic teams or solo displays, to help with PR and recruitment purposes?

In this day and age where air force's are suffering from cutbacks I think it's good that the RNLAF F16 has such an eye catching special scheme, which seems relatively well known throughout the Netherlands and Europe. The display is a favourite on the european circuit and I'm sure it's been successful for PR within the Netherlands, especially as though the RNLAF doesn't have an aerobatic team.

the MoD i suppose

and you're right it is the MOD that owns them. So I guess the RAF (via the MOD) do own the roundel. Isn't really that surprising though is it?

No they don't. WE own the roundels. And the MoD and ultimately the RAF, Army, Navy etc. WE being UK taxpayers of course. Without us, they wouldn't exist, would they??!! So any dosh made from these ridiculous marketing and PR exercises ahould be fairly & equitably spread amongst US!!! (so that we can buy more plastic kits to stick OUR roundels on!! :lol: )

Keef

No they don't. WE own the roundels. And the MoD and ultimately the RAF, Army, Navy etc. WE being UK taxpayers of course. Without us, they wouldn't exist, would they??!! So any dosh made from these ridiculous marketing and PR exercises ahould be fairly & equitably spread amongst US!!! (so that we can buy more plastic kits to stick OUR roundels on!! :lol: )

Keef

It's totally stupid isn't it. So what, the RAF charge the RN for the use of 'their' roundel on the Jetstreams! :fuhrer:

Thing is with the roundel, technically-speaking I should think a half-competent lawyer could argue that it isn't the intellectual property of any individual or organisation. It's a national insignia for application on British military aircraft, therefore I guess it's no different to a flag, and I don't see the government charging everyone whenever the Union Jack gets used. The ugly situation is that corporate branding people have got into the RAF chain now, and they've jumped on the roundel as something which they can obviously make cash out of. Okay, if the cash went to the MoD it effectively comes back to the taxpayer in theory, but of course money will also go to the PR people who will doubtless be making more than a few bob on the new merchandising and branding enterprises. Therefore I think it's quite astonishing that the roundel appears to have been hijacked without anybody even raising an eyebrow. Given the historical rivalry between the Royal Navy and the RAF in particular, I'm astonished that the jolly Admirals have allowed the junior service to steal the roundel from under their noses.

Similarly, I'm surprised that people like Airfix have handed-over license money to produce decals on RAF subjects. Personally, if the MoD had tried that scam with me, I would have left the roundels off the decal sheets and tracked-down the artists who drew the original squadron emblems - if there's any copyright to be claimed it must belong to the artists not the RAF.

I do hope that people aren't going to get their knickers in a twist over this whole roundel thing, however, does this mean that Britmodeller.com will now have to alter their own logo?... :confused::unsure:

Derek

Thing is with the roundel, technically-speaking I should think a half-competent lawyer could argue that it isn't the intellectual property of any individual or organisation. It's a national insignia for application on British military aircraft, therefore I guess it's no different to a flag, and I don't see the government charging everyone whenever the Union Jack gets used. The ugly situation is that corporate branding people have got into the RAF chain now, and they've jumped on the roundel as something which they can obviously make cash out of. Okay, if the cash went to the MoD it effectively comes back to the taxpayer in theory, but of course money will also go to the PR people who will doubtless be making more than a few bob on the new merchandising and branding enterprises. Therefore I think it's quite astonishing that the roundel appears to have been hijacked without anybody even raising an eyebrow. Given the historical rivalry between the Royal Navy and the RAF in particular, I'm astonished that the jolly Admirals have allowed the junior service to steal the roundel from under their noses.

Similarly, I'm surprised that people like Airfix have handed-over license money to produce decals on RAF subjects. Personally, if the MoD had tried that scam with me, I would have left the roundels off the decal sheets and tracked-down the artists who drew the original squadron emblems - if there's any copyright to be claimed it must belong to the artists not the RAF.

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

I do hope that people aren't going to get their knickers in a twist over this whole roundel thing, however, does this mean that Britmodeller.com will now have to alter their own logo?... :confused::unsure:

Derek

Isn't it only the red/white/blue roundel that the RAF have got 'ownership' of?

Its nearly as bad as that "tm" s***e or whatever it was on RCAF planes...

:badmood: