* 1:72 Airfix Fairey Battle

Deacon

To me this aircraft is iconic of the British forces during the Blitzkrieg period, for two reasons. The first is that, by the time this aircraft was flown ‘in anger’,

like so many other nations aeroplanes, it was outdated and just could not stand up to the more modern German fighter or even the excellent

defensive anti-aircraft guns of the German army.

The second reason is, that although the use of these machines meant that the chances of crews returning from a mission were slim,

crews still climbed into them and tried to carry out the tasks given with great courage and heroism,

again like so many of their fellow airmen from other nations.

Here is the box shot of the kit and I'll use the decals for the RAF version.

IMG_7762.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Here is a quick update showing the cockpit painted and ready for the fuselage halves to be joined together.

Fairey.jpg

here is the airframe with the grey undercoat on top and black underneath...

Fairey2.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Nicely done. When I'm masking a canpopy like that I usually get bored and make a mess of the last 1/3. You must possess a superior brand of patience

Will

Thanks Will, but to be honest I painted it over two nights as you are right, if I hadn't I would have rushed it and messed it up.

Deacon

• 4 weeks later...
Nice work.

Am I alone in thinking that despite its shortcomings as a fighting machine, the Battle was a good LOOKING machine?

Richard McC

Richard, I would rather look at the graceful lines of the Battle than to have flown in anger in one. The crews who did were incredibly brave.

This is a great model that has been completed, excellent.

Regards, Ray

That looks great

I too think it had graceful lines. I also agree that I would rather look at it than have flown to war in it. Having read somuch about early Bomber Command ops (Battles, Blenheims and Wellingtons) all those guys were incredibly brave.