Hobbyboss Type IXc U-Boat Vs Short Sunderland

Shar2

For this groupbuild I thought I'd have a go at a diorama. This one will have a U-Boat caught napping by a passing Sunderland which goes in for the attack. All in 1/350th :analintruder:

The U-Boat is the Hobbyboss Type-IXc

IMG_2554.jpg

And the Sunderland is from L'Arsenal.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

The seascape will be on a nice bit of planking I kept from a desk that was being broken up at work.

IMG_2557.jpg

Not going to bite Dan :D The Lusty will have to wait. This is just for the GB and also I want to try something newish, as I haven't done a dio for a long time, almost 30yrs in fact.

Dunno about getting the splashes, but I've had a few ideas of having the depth charges falling from the plane. Anyway I have properly started this, alhtough it doesn't look like I've done much. Still deliberating whether to add the lower hull to the sub and have it diving or crash surfacing after being attacked.

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Sunderlands wings have now been fixed and the gaps filled. The tailplane isn't glued yet.

This looks interesting!

What about having the plane climbing past the sub having already dropped the charges / bombs? It might make it easier for splashes?

Or a big bang beside the sub which would allow a deep lean angle with crew jumping / blown overboard?

Have you seen the Robert Taylor painting/print of the RAAF Sunderland attacking the Uboat and sinking it when the U-boat number was the same as the Sunderland call sign and Squadron number? I have details I can send you as the print hangs on the hall wall !! Can't recall the sub type though but I think it should be possible to trace it

JohnT

Have you seen the Robert Taylor painting/print of the RAAF Sunderland attacking the Uboat and sinking it when the U-boat number was the same as the Sunderland call sign and Squadron number? I have details I can send you as the print hangs on the hall wall !! Can't recall the sub type though but I think it should be possible to trace it

JohnT

Hmm! sounds interesting, even to give me an idea of positioning. Would be interested on the details.

This looks interesting!

What about having the plane climbing past the sub having already dropped the charges / bombs? It might make it easier for splashes?

Or a big bang beside the sub which would allow a deep lean angle with crew jumping / blown overboard?

Yeah!, was thinking about that scenario.

Small update.

Repainted the deck of the u-boat and added the flood vents. The Sunderland has received it's floats and topsides painted.

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

I had a good look at the Taylor print - there are several pics on the web

Looking at it made me think - wouldn't any large water disruption come from a depth charge exploding some time after the aircrft had passed overhead and already be some distance away? Taylor has a fair bit of water disruption coming from the aircraft gunners trying to supress the flak gunners on the U boat.

Interesting how Sunderland Aircraft "U" of 461 Sqn sinks U461 with a salvo of depth charges in the Bay of Biscay on 30 July 1943.

John

Hi Dave,

U461 was a type XIV boat, sunk by the RAAF, 15 of the crew lived and 53 perished.

Only 6 patrols in her career, and I dont think she had any kills.

The U461 was spotted by a RAF Liberator in the Bay of Biscay, then sunk by the RAAF Sunderland, before being sunk the U Boat shot out two of the Liberators

engines which made an emergency landing in Portugal.

Coming along nice Dave, looking forward to seeing the sea scape now.

Dan

Shar,

I know you ain't gonna like this statement as you've already repainted the deck once. For several years I ran the SubSIG for IPMS (UK) and all my research points to U-boat decks being a dark grey colour and not bare wood. I did write an article giving Revell paint colours but not sure if I could find it. I do like the idea of this diorama,

Regards

Paul

Thanks for that Honeybee, it won't be a problem doing it again. I'll certainly keep that info for later builds as I have a few u-boats in the stash.

Finished the camo for the Sunderland this evening.

IMG_2631.jpg

Getting worried now as I keep putting the seascape part of this build off, but I'm running out of excuses. :analintruder:

• 3 months later...

Well this dio is coming along better than the Vietnam one. Pleased with it so far. Now to finish off the U-Boot and figure out how to mount the Sunderland.

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

That's very nice, indeed..! A dramatic moment for certain...

Cheers,

ggc

Nice work Dave, the seascape has turned out real nice mate,

Just one thing , your flak gunners look like they are sleeping?

Regards

Dan

No, they're dead. Gonna call it "Caught out". Sunderland drops beneath the clouds, front gunner takes out the gun crews ready for dropping the depth charges/bombs.

No, they're dead. Gonna call it "Caught out". Sunderland drops beneath the clouds, front gunner takes out the gun crews ready for dropping the depth charges/bombs.

Ahhhh, just as well then, I'd have them on Jankers if they were not mate.

:frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic: