1:72 Fujimi Mig-21 Question

FZ6

I picked up a very nice looking Fujimi Mig-21 BIS at the Nationals and was looking on Hannants website and noticed that Quicboost have corrected Ventral Fin, Tail and Spine and Rear stabilizers and not being a Mig-21 expert I was wondering how far out the kit parts are?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Bis, MF, R...whatever you buy with Fujimi logo on the box you will always get bis model. Differences between R/MF and bis are to found HERE. Japanese model is quite nice, got crisp details, nice clear parts and it resembles the original after all.

Unfortunately there are some "bugs' to fix, namely:

- flusage is to long circa 5 mm, what`s even worse to make it proper you have to cut it like original was dismantled than cut off a 5 mm slice and glue it together,

kad322uby1.jpg

- stabilizers are out of this planet - use a spare one from Kopro/Mastercraft/Condor/EasternExpress kit or buy Quickboost replacement,

stateczniki3.jpg

- if you plan to do MF/SM/M/R buy a resin spine/tail resin correction set,

- MLG wheels are little to big and flusage wells are too shallow,

- ailerons shape needs correction,

- some panel lines are in wrong places, some are missing.

Unfortunately for this model Zvezda has released their bis model witch needs only small panel lines correction to be best 1/72 bis OOB kit.

Unfortunately for this model Zvezda has released their bis model witch needs only small panel lines correction to be best 1/72 bis OOB kit.

I agree with this. Fujimi has severe accuracy issues.

Zvezda is the best of the bunch, but it has also some problems. Probably most severe can be seen on the picture showing both Fujimi and Zvezda fuselages. Zvezda fuselage upper line starts to drop down rearwards just after the mainwheel bay. There is now room for the engine! This should happen at the break-point of the fuselage close to the wing trailing edge. This causes much too narrow rear part of the dorsal spine. And iirc the rear fuselage is also too short.

Cheers,

AC

Thanks for the input guys. It seems there are more issues than I first thought.

I'm doing a Finnish BIS using the decals that come in the Black Lynx box so it looks like I will be ok with the kit spine. The Stabilizers look really bad and I think their replacement is a must. I'm a little reluctant to cut the fuselage down though bu tI can see the issue so will now have to do something about it. Doing this looks simpler than correcting the Zvezda fuselage

It's a shame that soviet aircraft seem to have been neglected in the past as there are some really interesting subjects out there but finding accurate kits of certain aircraft is really difficult. Trumpeter seem to be redressing the balance and with the impending Eduard 1:48 MiG21 series I really hope things will change.

• 9 years later...
On 12/27/2010 at 10:07 PM, Mandrake said:

I wasn't aware if any major issues with the mig-21bis however the fujimi mig-21MF did have issues with the spine/tail as it wad in essence a rebox of their

Bis, so I wonder if the correction set might actually be for that?

So, if someone builds an 'MF' kit (Fujimi's) as a 'Bis' his OK? No need to correct the stabilizers or the spine?