HMS VICTORY

nobbyyam

Hi ive always wanted to do a ship model but never have so im starting with the old Airfix Victory.

First impressions is known that it is an old kit that there is a lot of work to do . Some of the flash and warpage of the decks show its age.Going to be a challenge.

To be honest I started this ages ago and started a post about it but could not find it.

This is how far I have got so far.Any crits would be welcome.

005-1.jpg006-1.jpg007-2.jpg008-1.jpg

• Like 2

It was the gold scroll-work on the block of flats at the back that always got me when I did this as a kid (twice, if memory serves) and those luverly big moulded plastic sales! Good luck and can't wait to see your maritime high-rise!

Unusual - though I'm not sure those aftermarket decals are going to do it.....................

Graham

Edited by GrahamS

Wonderful!! That's the kit that got me started on 'string' ships donkeys year ago. Then I followed it up years later with the Heller one. (Bit Larger) :yikes:

Then I built another Heller one---now I've got my 3rd one--- :hypnotised:

Be warned, you have started down a narrow and slippery slope my lad. When you've completed it, and you're next in the LMS, you'll be looking around and there it will be---The Heller jobbie--and you'll think---"hhhhmmm, might have a go at that---and then my young padwan you will be lost--lost I tell you lostttttt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nobbyyam,

For inspiration on Victory take a look at the link below. For all builders of these old ships it's the site to follow lots of good advice and great tips. A great bunch and very helpful. Be careful though as once you see what can be achieved you may become discouraged but persevere and you'll end up with a lovely model.

http://www.pete-coleman.com/forum/

John S

Thanks for all the encouragement , run out of steam at the mo with chrissy on the go but will be getting back on track shortly, half of it is trying to finish other things on the workbench so I can free the time for this. Never forget when my Aunt took us to see the real thing, I must have been about 11 then ,also got ot visit to all sorts of places around the docks VIP treatment as she was in the Wrens then.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi been a wee while since I did anything to this kit but managed to do a wee bit more, namely the rear deck area.The kit is showing its age with flash and warped decks but not bad given its age. Starting to get a bit worried about the rigging but untill you try it who knows.003-2.jpg002-3.jpg001-5.jpg

• Like 1

Cool!

I love these old ships. I built the Victory about 30 years ago. String everywhere and it would never have sailed but I didn't give a rat's thingummy bob! It looked fantastic to me.

I now have a Revell 1/96 USS Kearsarge and Cutty Sark to build... When I get the courage.

I did build the Airfix HMS Discovery a couple of years ago and I've just started the Airfix HMS Bounty. These models need some TLC to make them look good.

• 2 years later...

Hi Nobbyyam,

Have two if these kits in my stash, and went to see her in the flesh two weeks ago, unfortunately most of the masts etc have been removed for renovation so didn't get to see her at her best, however will go back later this year as the entry ticket to the Historic dockyard is valid for 12 months so hopefully get to see her complete next time, if not there's always next year!!!

love the colour of your decks, which colour did you use? I was surprised at how light the deck planking was when I visited I was expecting a darker wood, but someone was explaining the process of keeping the decks wet with sea water to prevent the wood from drying our had "bleached" the wood over the years so it looked lighter.

There is a lovely little HMS Victory museum to one side of the Victory at the dockyard and is well worth a visit as the models of the ship they have there are fantastic as is the information regarding the colours she wore throughout her service.

Anyway I will be following this build with interest as I really want to get started on one of my builds.

Doug S.

• 1 month later...

Have fun.........Airfix once published a book on building this model......don't know what happened to my copy, but it was very informative and may be worth keeping an 'eye open' for.

Rex

Best book on rigging Victory "HMS Victory" by Noel C.L. Hackney.

• 4 weeks later...

nobbyyam - do you intend having the gunports open or closed? Or a mixture? I am one of the many who have an Airfix 'Victory' in the stash, and haven't decided yet.

I to have this kit with scale warship PE.

Am itching to get started.

Need to finish a couple of other things first.

But watching this with Interest :popcorn::popcorn:

Nice start, look forward to more.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

• 4 months later...

Hi I built this kit years ago the build is fairly straightforward I would recommend Google research for the rigging airfix only give very basic rigging I don't know. If you can still get them but I used fishing weights for dead eyes she makes an outstanding model keep up the good work patient and slow is the way to go.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ages and ages since I posted about this. Things were going great but alas my daft collie knocked it off the bench and then attacked it. Bin bagged, the model not the collie though he was close. Maybe in the future I will have a another crack at it as I was enjoying that build.Back to my aircraft for the time being . Maybe a bit of armour too just to break things up.

• 1 month later...

Hi Nobbyyam

Really sorry to hear Victory bit the dust, my youngest son wants to build one, not sure if 8 years old and Victory are a good combination, did you chuck it all out or keep any bits I might be able to use if our one suffered from over zealous gluing or painting or as is more likely both !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Jockney, sorry but everything went in the bin. That moment when your just totally hacked off and dont think ahead . Your right, it might be a bit tricky for an 8 year old but good luck anyway with your Victory. Might have another go later down the line..

• Like 1