Battle of the Atlantic Q and A

Alan P

As far as I can see POW didn`t have a "knuckle" on the bow,please see this link:

http://www.world-war.co.uk/index.php3

and go to KGV class

Cheers Phil

I asked around about this earlier this year on the ModelWarship site, but didn't get any real answers. It looks like there's a beveled surface, but not only in the front, but also midship. But it isn't exclusive for PoW either. This photo is of KGV as an example:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/downl...6&mode=view

Phil the link you give has bow shots (virtual head on) of DoY and Howe these photographs clearly show that neither ship had a knuckle, the photographs of KGV and Anson are not clear enough or are at an unsuitable angle to determine either way.

The photographs of POW are also not very clear,(although the knuckle can just about be discerned)The link I gave has a clearer photograph of her entering Singapore harbour in which the knuckle can be seen.

One thing I should point out is that the knuckle is only a couple of feet deep,not the depth on say a County class cruiser but it's still apparent. I can't understand why Lairds built her differently from Vickers or Browns when they built the KGV and DoY. although a similar situation occurred with Birmingham and the rest of the Towns class, it might of been a case of trialing a new hull forms.The KGV's having no sheer were always going to be wet and perhaps it was thought that this hull form would reduce that.

Denstore I can't make out what you are indicating but is it the spurn water?

If this doesn't convince I think we will have to agree to disagree,just as well none of us are trying to model Flower class corvettes (Ah but some of us are).

Regards,

Malcolm

• 3 weeks later...

Iain yes she is acceptable, the reason I know is because were being allowed to build the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen.

The battle of Denmark Strait and the Sinking of Hood is allowed as its a sub battle of the Battle of the Atlantic, It also falls within the boundary points as laid out on the map.

If its an Airfix kit god help you... I'll be watching to see how you do....