Yak 15 jet-pipe details

CliffB

Hi, I'm part way through building a Yak 15 from an old Waku vacform kit and have just fitted the jet-pipe.

As supplied in the kit, it looks like this.....

P1070166.jpg

I can't help feeling though, that there should be some more internal detail. I've looked on the net, but to no avail. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

Does this help?

http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/yak/yak-15/index.htm

Unfortunately the Yak-15 in this walkaround has the exhaust closed off with some kind of a (wooden?) ring, but at least you can see the "onion" in place.

You might also want to look for build articles on the Amodel 1/72 Yak-15, and the 1/48 kit by Czech Model - these may include helpful images.

Here's one, although I don't see any internal detail images:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/myarticles/a...toryid_708.html

John

Will this help? It's the back end of a Yak23 in the Zadorozhny museum in Moscow

Yak23.jpg

There are pictures of Yak 15s in Yefim Gordon's book 'Early Soviet Jet fighters' but they don't show much, only a very dark area.

There is a nice colour picture of a Yak 15 on the cover but the 'onion' appears to stick out a lot further than in pictures of this and other 15's in the text.

As they say 'museum a/c are funny things'

John

Edited by John R

Thanks again Gents,

Here's where I am today thanks to John's first link, a bit of old aluminium tubing and some Milliput. Perfection it is not!

All I need now is the conical bit in the middle (is that the 'onion'?), which I'm hoping will come from the end of a drop-tank, or something similar.

P1070168.jpg

Cliff

Thanks again Gents,

Here's where I am today thanks to John's first link, a bit of old aluminium tubing and some Milliput. Perfection it is not!

All I need now is the conical bit in the middle (is that the 'onion'?), which I'm hoping will come from the end of a drop-tank, or something similar.

Cliff

Looking good! I built that same kit a few years ago; IIRC, the intake was slightly undersized in diameter, for what it's worth. In case you're interested, here's a couple of links for drawings:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/yak15aiv.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/yak15.html

John

Thanks John

I've got the opposite problem with the intake on my Yak - way over-sized at present, but I think that's down to how I cut it out :banghead:

What scheme did you go for (any pics?) - I keep flipping between the kit's all over white version or one of the Red Five aerobatic team.

Cliff

Thanks John R, I hadn't seen that link - some more, useful photos.

Here's my finished jet pipe, along with the intake.

The conical inserts came from opposite ends of an F-104 drop tank. Not picture perfect I know, but certainly sufficient for my standards :cyclops:

P1070170.jpgP1070172.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

Good image - thanks, John! This'll be helpful for anyone scratch-building some extra details in 1/72, and I saved it for future reference.

I misremembered which Yak-15 I was working on - it was the PM 1/72 injection-molded kit, not the Waku vacuform, although I do have the Waku kit in my "collection", if you want to consider it as anything so structured! ;) The PM one was the one with the too-small intake (I wondered why the triangular shape of the exhaust area in Cliff's first photo looked unfamiliar), so scrub my earlier comment. I apologize for posting incorrect information!

John (T)

Edited by John Thompson

Cliff,

I have to say that what you're doing with that Waku kit is just brilliant.

I've got the Yak 11, 15 and 17 at home, and was despairing of doing anything with them at all, but seeing what you've achieved so far, there's hope yet!

As a general question, how did you find the fit of the plastic? What will you be doing about the undercarriage? If I remember, it's crude to say the least.

Chris

Hi Chris

I don't make many vacforms, but I've found this Waku to be pretty good. The fuselage halves matched together perfectly (I haven't started with the wings yet).

The biggest issue so far has been the engine intake. I've been happy to fiddle around with it, but I think it would be hard to get it absolutely right and some may find this frustrating or unacceptable.

You're right about the undercarriage which is both over-simplified and probably impossible to use as a straight vacform. I shall replace the stuts using brass wire (with a few extra bits as per the original) and haven't yet decided whether to try to use the wheels provided (I'd like to if possible), or to find suitable replacements from my spares box. The good news is the the undercarriage will be largely hidden when the kit's complete, so the priority has to be rigidity, rather than finesse.

Personally, I'm really enjoying taking a fairly featureless sheet of styrene and trying to transform it into something reasonably like a Yak - I'm not sure that I'd want to do more than one a year though!

Looking at your list of 'on the menu' kits, I can see that you like a bit of a challenge too! ;)

Cheers

Cliff

What will you be doing about the undercarriage? If I remember, it's crude to say the least.

Chris

If you'll forgive me for butting in with a suggestion on this, the easy route would be to cannibalize the landing gear, including doors, from almost any 1/72 Yak-3 kit - Heller/Smer, VES, Hasegawa, or even Red Star/Emhar. Hobby Boss would also work, but would need some cleaning up to approach the accuracy of most of the others.

John

• 6 years later...