A 1/32 - yes, I said 1/32 - B-17G coming from Wing Scale!

Jennings Heilig

Well, I wanna get one of the Gun Nose Mitchells, but a 32nd B-17?.

Nahh. :fraidnot:

Too big.

As for a 32nd Liberator...have you any idea what the wingspan would be? :gobsmacked:

It's on the order of 1 1/2 inches in 1/72 (according to my Mk1 eyeball) longer than the B-17 wing (~3/4 in per side), which would translate into an extra ~ 9 feet on the real thing. In 1/32, that would translate into ~3 1/2 inches longer than the B-17.

In that scale, they're both humongous.

I believe that my wife would classify my acquisition of either as automatic grounds for divorce... :)

Byron

Get Christmas over then start saving.

On current rate approx £166.

Unless Mr Revell pips them at the post

Dream come true for me but the rivet counters at Hyperscale are out in force

this morning.

Fighting has resumed as normal.

Yeah, I don't get that - I appreciate an honest, dispassionate kit review, where the fellow actually points out the positives and negatives about a kit. That serves a real and valid function. But this stuff about slicing and dicing photographs of an initial test run of the major components - that's going a bit too far... The mew RoG 1/72 B-17G was thoroughly eviscerated at least 4 months prior to it's release, and I'm thinking that perhaps it would have been better to withhold final condemnation until the plastic actually got in people's hands.

Modeldad will probably jump in and gently remind me that these days, most company's initial test shots are pretty much their final test shots, and that's doubtless true for most large manufacturers. 'Coarse, I'm not sure that Wing Scale fits in that category.

On the other hand, the hue and cry over the new Airfix 1/72 Spitfire test shots did cause a few last minute 'tweaks' to take place in the molds prior to formal release, IIRC.

So maybe it's a draw... :rolleyes:

Byron

Edited by Byron Boyd

Ummm...is it just me, or do the props have the blades the wrong way. Those appear to be left hand (cockpit perspective) props. That's a big flaming model.

It's not just you: it's me too. Yes, someone has put the props together wrong. presumably the blades are separate from the hubs so it's just an assembly error. The twist in the prop blades looks correct for rotation in the US-standard direction.

It's not just you: it's me too. Yes, someone has put the props together wrong. presumably the blades are separate from the hubs so it's just an assembly error. The twist in the prop blades looks correct for rotation in the US-standard direction.

Somebody noticed that on Hyperscale, too. The comment elicited a response, the upshot of which was that it would be fixed in time for the release...

Cheers!

Byron

For Nigel at Kits-World better start up-scaleing your Decals.

1/32 Bit O` Lace it is .

Think of the figure possibilities full crew at all stations.

CMK must be wringing there hands at the after market remember what they produced internally for the

Revell Uboat.

The dioramas that could be built i.m thinking large coffee table,glass topped with the aircraft inside.

Must take a tranquilizer and think of how to make money.

How would you display one of these buggers?. :shrug:

I think this might be one of those "Hang on the wall" type models.

sweet jeezus I honestly never thought I'd EVER see a 32nd Fort.

I never thought I'd ever see a He 111 in 1/32-scale!

Simply amazing.

Blimey! Bit of a shock to see that. I'd have to save up for about 50 years and build a new house just to display it but I'd have a hard time resisting that and the B17 isn't even near the top of my wants lists. The rivet detail looks especially nice.

WOW! that looks fantastic, and I think the price is quite reasonable for a kit that large. After-all a lot of the big Hasegawa and Tamiya 1/350 ships are over £200, and that's before you buy the extra etch sets. I guess there'll be some DIY going on to strengthen ceilings and loft floors, but at least you can hang it, you can't with a ship or what about a 1/35 railgun?

In the equivalent thread on LSP, Zactoman made the following comment:

If I'm not mistaken this is the hand made prototype done by Roy Sutherland for 21st Century.

Kev

Both Roy and the manufacturer have confirmed this is NOT the 21st century prototype... The manufacturer has mentionned there will be many changes yet, as this is NOT a test shot but a rough prototype... I sure hope so for the 1/32 scalers out there... Fuselage girth, tailgunner's doghouse, nose/canopy ect...

Perhaps when 1/32 scale modelers have gotten a taste of storing/displaying this 1/32 scale B-17G, 1/48th scale will get its urgently needed revival, especially where the untouched "big" subjects are concerned: A non-egg plane-like 1/48th B-24 Liberator, a neatly buildable 1/48th B-29, or a 1/48th C-46 Commando, Il-4, C-54, H8K "Emily", Ki-67 Peggy, Stirling, Sunderland, SB-2, TU-2, Ki-21 Sally or Coronado...

There no shortages of far more interesting, and far more practical, "big" subjects to do...

I realize now Tamiya's new 1/32 scale A6M5 Zero was the "seminal" kit for the 1/32 scale WWII prop revival in 1999. I didn't buy it then, for the very reason that I did not want to deal with this 1/32 B-17G down the line... See, I was seeing that far ahead!

Gaston

Edited by Gaston

Not quite - although I do have access to one :)

I already have two versions of Doug Feeney's ID Models B-17s in the loft - a very early one with the original fin and an F/G.

This will make things a *lot* quicker - and I think I may need two - one as a G and one to convert back using the ID Models back end :)

From http://www.aviation-history.com :

b17-mk1.jpg

Iain

Come on Ian, show us a photo of the I.D. B-17C kit you have and make us all drool!

Glenn.