The Famous name..

Phil Reeder

Ark Royal  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think one of the new carriers should be renamed Ark Royal?

• yes
    • no

Wonder HMS Hood is not used again ,there has been other ships that have meet bad endings,but have been used again

HMS Ark Royal is one of said names.... Ark III was sunk by a torpedo remember... Howabout HMS Dodo or HMS Bigspender?

No Ark Royal is now a name that is typically assosciated with Aircraft Carriers, and if they were supose to have another HMS Prince of Wales I would rather she be a battleship. Hehehe.... Lets just put The Victory into service under command of a nice man by the name of Nelson.

Yes, that's for the next gen... there's plans now within the MOD to change the name of HMS Ark Royal, to HMS Gillette, because soon she'll be the best a man can get, especially since she wont be HMS Belfast... I mean come on there isn't that much room on the Thames for a battle cruiser and a Pocket aircraft carrier.

• 1 year later...
actually having one of them named Enterprise would be funny since the USS Enterprise is due to be retired this year and iirc Nato policy is there cannot be 2 similar ships with the same name (see USS/HMAS Canberra) so the US would be unable to field a Carrier named Enterprise until RN one was retired

If there's such a policy it's obviously ignored as I was on HMS Enterprise when we passed the USS Enterprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Enterprise_(H88)

• Like 1

Should be Ark Royal, and either Hermes or Eagle.

We've got an Ocean, Bulwark, Albion, and I reckon we should keep Lusty in service as a second helecopter carrier anyway.

Seeing as the anchors from Ark Royal IV and Eagle, the last fixed-wing carriers,are the gate guardians at RNAS Yeovilton, I still think there is a nice symmetry with the next fixed-wing carriers (I dont belive the CATOBAR option is completely dead yet, lets see how the F-35B programme goes...) having the same names.

Queen Elizabeth and POW are battleships in my mind, not carriers.

HMS Ark Royal is one of said names.... Ark III was sunk by a torpedo remember... Howabout HMS Dodo or HMS Bigspender?

No Ark Royal is now a name that is typically assosciated with Aircraft Carriers, and if they were supose to have another HMS Prince of Wales I would rather she be a battleship. Hehehe.... Lets just put The Victory into service under command of a nice man by the name of Nelson.

I seem to recall hearing about a police sergeant becoming the new Lord Nelson back in the 1970s. Must look that up and see if it's right.

Joseph

In case anyone hasn't seen it, the first crew have now been assigned to the (future HMS) Queen Elizabeth, complete with cap tallies:

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/roundup/articles/2012/10/03/436834-first-crew-join-rosyths-aircraft-carriers/.

In terms of name clashes, there could be some interesting misunderstandings with the Cunard Liner!

IIn terms of name clashes, there could be some interesting misunderstandings with the Cunard Liner!

Signal from battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth to liner RMS Queen Elizabeth during a mid-Atlantic encounter during World War II: "Snap".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

the way things are with this government, I wouldn't be surprised one of them ends up being called 'FS La France' or something like that, while the other one becomes 'HMS Fountain Lake Jetty 6' cos we won't be able to afford to send it to sea

• 4 weeks later...

No, I think they should give the name 'Ark Royal' a well deserved rest, and use it in future on a non-aircraft carrier, its too soon to repeat it and the RN has a huge list of fabulous ship's names to choose from. I don't really favour QE and PoW either... just don't really like ships names after living people.

Some suggestions, taken from RN 74 gun ships of the line - Mars, Warspite, Resolution, Hero, Thunderer, Hercules, Arrogant, Goliath, Audacious, Bellerophon, Saturn, Majestic, Ramillies, Magnificent, Irresistible, Powerful, Defiance, Conqueror, Vengeance, Colossus, Leviathan, Marlborough, Repulse etc etc

I wouldn't mind any of those - Thunderer and Goliath??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It was Indomitable.

It was indeed. When I served in Ark (late-80s), we had to strip away some of the hangar wall (after a minor fire, I think - can't remember). On the back of a couple of the plates was the word "INDOM" in chalk, from the build.

• 3 years later...
On 05/12/2010 at 2:58 PM, Hypnobear said:

Why would you want to name the carriers Queen Elizabeth or POW anyway? Theyre boring names and outdated as the Royals are pretty much forgotten about now

Thats my view anyway

I think the idea was to ensure they got built, after all, which prime minister would want to cancel a vessel named after our reigning monarch and risk a spell in the tower? Definitely wrong names though, should bring Ark Royal and Eagle 

• Like 1