The Famous name..

Phil Reeder

Ark Royal  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think one of the new carriers should be renamed Ark Royal?

• yes
    • no

Why would you want to name the carriers Queen Elizabeth or POW anyway? Theyre boring names and outdated as the Royals are pretty much forgotten about now

Thats my view anyway

It's still the Royal Navy mate.

Would you prefer HMS Karl Marx...? ;)

Dave.

Well no surprises but i would have like to see a 'Hood' return to the Fleet (and before anyone comes and tells me it would be disrespectful because a lot of people died on her i would direct their attention to the last ship which bore the name "Invincible" prior to the carrier)

I dont mind them being called Queen Elizabeth of Prince of Wales since they ar fine Battleship names (and seems like Queen Elizabeth at least will be continuing the tradition of having the same ships crest as her predecessor

always liked ships which came in pairs, like Renown and Repulse, or Ajax and Achilles.

actually having one of them named Enterprise would be funny since the USS Enterprise is due to be retired this year and iirc Nato policy is there cannot be 2 similar ships with the same name (see USS/HMAS Canberra) so the US would be unable to field a Carrier named Enterprise until RN one was retired :D

Why would you want to name the carriers Queen Elizabeth or POW anyway? Theyre boring names and outdated as the Royals are pretty much forgotten about now

Thats my view anyway

I honestly reckon the forces personnel would show more loyalty towards their monarch than the politicians if it were ever put to the test.

Jimbuna,The last warship named Rodney was scrapped in 1948,way before F&H !!

I`m closing the poll now ,as can be seen a significant majority ,are in favour of re-naming.Presonnaly ,I don`t care,as long as we get both carriers,and one is not flogged off the another navy,AND equipped with effective Fixed -wing aircraft!!

I honestly reckon the forces personnel would show more loyalty towards their monarch than the politicians if it were ever put to the test.

I dont know why anyone would be proud to fight for our politicians, especially what they are doing to everyone at the moment :angrysoapbox.sml:

Anyway, thats a different story and is not acceptable here

Edited by Nakajima15

On the news last night was a story linking the sale of the HMS Ark Royal to a London consortium proposing to turn her into a museum in the Royal Docks... if she can get in of course... they would also need to have some decommissioned Harriers on deck.

HMS Belfast is a good day out, HMS Ark Royal would make a good Weekend.

I seem to recall that Ark Royal V (the current, or soon to be not-so-current ship) :fraidnot: was originally going to be named Indomitable or Indefatigable?

Personally, I'd like the new carriers to be the Ark Royal and Eagle.

I seem to recall that Ark Royal V (the current, or soon to be not-so-current ship) :fraidnot: was originally going to be named Indomitable or Indefatigable?

Personally, I'd like the new carriers to be the Ark Royal and Eagle.

It was Indomitable.

Dont really mind what they are called as long as we get them ( with some fixed wing aircraft ) as its not a navy without them. I think if the RN went up against the Indian navy they would come off second best at the moment, what a sad state of affairs.

Dont really mind what they are called as long as we get them ( with some fixed wing aircraft ) as its not a navy without them. I think if the RN went up against the Indian navy they would come off second best at the moment, what a sad state of affairs.

indias flagship is the hermes afaik lol

queen elizabeth ISNT named after the current monarch shes is queen elizabeth the 2nd
The new carrier is named after the present monarch I assume the II has been dropped so she can carry the battle honours and also commemorate the previous warships named Queen Elizabeth.

Malcolm

Englishmen should note that our present monarch is only "Queen Elizabeth II" of England. She is actually the first queen Elizabeth who has

reigned over the United Kingdom. She is therefore Queen Elizabeth, not Elizabeth II. There is no question of a capital ship of the UK Royal Navy being named

"Queen Elizabeth II" until there's a second Queen Elizabeth on the throne of the UK.

:coat:

Englishmen should note that our present monarch is only "Queen Elizabeth II" of England. She is actually the first queen Elizabeth who has

reigned over the United Kingdom. She is therefore Queen Elizabeth, not Elizabeth II. There is no question of a capital ship of the UK Royal Navy being named

"Queen Elizabeth II" until there's a second Queen Elizabeth on the throne of the UK.

I can see your logic but the navy doesn’t seem to follow it. This can be seen in the naming of the pre dreadnought battleship HMS King Edward VII named in honour of Edward VII when he became king in 1901 (I think at that point he would have been Edward I of Scotland I am not sure if there were any Scottish Kings before him called Edward) a number of Edwards having ruled England before the act of union between Scotland and England.

Tongue in cheek I should point I am a republican Welsh man and have no vested interest in naming British warships after English monarchs. :D

Andy it's interesting that you should pick Invincible as an example of the navy naming a warship after one that had been sunk. HMS Hood was named in honour of a number of Admiral Hood's that served in the navy,the last Admiral Hood having been killed when his flagship HMS Invincible blew up at Jutland.

Malcolm

how about HMS Victory.... can jsut see the French sharing that one with us ;-)... we should modernise... how about HMS Beckham, or HMS Simon Cowell.... hey he could runa program on ITV to name it....