Fujimi 1/72 OA-4M Skyhawk

dswoofie

Hi,

I've decided to have a crack at a Fujimi 1/72 OA-4M after recently seeing the 1/48 A-4M 'David in Fremont' recently posted. I liked the look of it, so that spurred me into action. My Jaguar ACT project for the GB is on hold at the moment, so I needed something to fill the time.

The only issue I have to begin with is the decals, they seem all the wrong colours to match with the lo-viz scheme on these OA-4M's. The grey's are just very wrong, and are much too dark. I'll try and pop a picture of them with the colours to show how different they are. I do have another one stashed away in the loft so I can only hope the decals on this one are better!

Anyway, I'm going to progress in the hope I'll sort out the decals before I get to that point.

Here's the cockpit, I've just painted up the basic detail from the kit with regards to the controls. I substituted the ejection handles with some thin wire to make them look a bit better (the kit parts were really thick). I took 2 pieces of wire, 1 painted black and the other painted yellow, and twisted them together to create the handles. It worked out OK and was easier than painting the stripes on it! Some very basic belts (just strips) were made from some masking tape, just to add a little detail.

e128ae8f.jpg

1557db9a.jpg

e37d7d87.jpg

It certainly looks OK for kit parts in 1/72 as far as I'm concerned.

Karl.

Karl super detail there for 1/72, impressed :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Yeah, I love Fujimi 1/72 cockpits as they can come up quite good with some careful painting. Dunno if they're accurate or not, but I like 'em. Might have to put some AM seats in there at a later point though, that'd really set it off then...

Karl.

Nice detail work there Karl.

What happened to the MIG colour?

I can't get to the shop until tomorrow, so will have to wait 'til then now. What with me being impatient, and having a nicely cleaned workbench, I just HAD to start something... couldn't do with the empty bench!

The Mig-29 will run alongside this one once I've sorted out the paint...

Karl.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've finally got some time to work on this Skyhawk... I've done all of the major construction work and it's ready for some serious spraying at last.

No problems in the construction, and only a couple of minor seams that needed a tiny filling using some tipp-ex. One thing that really did bug me when building this kit was the fact that there are a number of small aerials and bits that are already moulded onto the fuselage halves... I broke every one of them off, including the arrestor hook several times... :banghead: I'd usually leave all these kind of things off until the end to save this problem from happening!

Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to have a go at pre-shading for the first time with this. Never done it before but I've watched Phil's video in preparation!

Here it is at the moment...

DSCF0387.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

Karl.

That's looking really nice, Karl!

The level of detail some of you can achieve on 1/72 kits astounds me. I get cross-eyed just thinking about it...

Imagine my very pleasant surprise when I saw that my Scooter served as inspiration! Very flattering and I'm glad you liked it.

The number of bumps, sensors and other bits sticking off the Skyhawks can be daunting can't they?

Looking forward to seeing the scheme on her!

Cheers guys! I'm hoping to get some spraying done on it later today, although I've just broke another aerial and half the gun off one side of it... I only picked it up for a few seconds to do some masking...! D'oh! These little pieces are testing my patience...

Karl.

Right, I've had a go at the pre-shading... looks more like I've tried to spray it all black!

I had a 'mare of a time trying to do it. The airbrush clogged 3 times, which is something I'm not used to, and trying to get it to spray fine was not working properly. Anyway, it's done, but I don't know whether it'll work properly.

It's a little messy, but we'll see how it goes from here! It looks lighter than it really is in these pics...

DSCF0392.jpg

DSCF0393.jpg

Whadda ya think then? Have I done it OK? :shrug:

Karl.

Hmmm, the pre-shading didn't work! I obviously coated it over too much for it to be visible... I kept looking at it while spraying, thinking 'that's still showing too much', until I got to a point I was happy with it. Once it dried though, it can't really be seen... Oh well.

Had a real mess of a time trying to mask it up. I decided to use the blutack method in order to get a soft edge between the colours, but really struggled. Overall I did get some soft edge, but I'm wondering if it was worth all the effort. I had to use bits of tape to cover up all of the areas where I didn't want spray, and I also ran out of Tamiya tape too. Eventually got there and here it is...

eabe567c.jpg

c16fbedd.jpg

Very grey isn't it! I was hoping that the pre-shading would break it up a bit. I'll have to get out of the habit of trying to have a smooth perfect paint finish when trying this from now.

Oh, and another 2 small parts broke off while masking it up! That's 5 to reattach at the end now!

Just some Klear to go on before the decalling now... hopefully do that later today.

Karl.