Wingnut Wings Import Duty

dr_gn

You are obviously computer savvy and it is "soo easy" for you. Not everyone has, or has the interest in gaining, the knowledge of all the ins and outs of computer stuff. If it is "soo easy"(which I doubt) how about telling people how it's done? Just a link to a relevant site would be of some help.

It's a little like having a car that needs fixing and some amateur (or professional) mechanic tells you it's easy to fix, without volunteering how to do it. No help at all. Why the Dickens should one have to know how computers work in order to use them? - to continue the car analogy, how many drivers have the slightest idea (or interest) in how the internal combustion engine works? It should not be necessary to use a tool- and for cars it isn't. Your post as it stands seems a little condescending and unhelpful, but I'm sure that wasn't what you intended. Any idea where the layman could secure the information on making these changes?

If you google the model and make of your dvd player and multi region that tends to provide a solution, tried it before purchasing my current one and all you had to do was press eject, enter a few numbers, then press eject again and your dvd player is multi region. When I got my dvd player home it turned out to be multi region anyway, so I didn't need to do it.

So getting back to Parcel Force, this is something I wasn't aware of and concerns me, as I often send parcels to Britain. I had always assumed that they were delivered by the Royal Mail, and as no-one I've sent stuff to has ever said anything to me, I assume that is the still the case. So that being said, what are the threshholds used to determine when it is Parcel Force and not the Royal Mail that gets to deliver your overseas parcel?

where i live, parcel force is know as parcel farce............

Had the dreaded Parcelforce letter arrive :crying:

Tried the old "want charged for the clearance fee separately" effort but just got chased and told a supervisor will need to contact me at some point - still waiting.

Not really got time to make a big deal of it so may just pay the £8.00 so that I can get it on Mon :hmmm: .

When I got my Pup, I went to the PF store in Manchester, mentioned deferring PF charge, they claimed to know nothing about it, so I phoned the head office 0198687000 asked to be put through to the Chairman's Office, a quick explanation what I wanted and where I was, passed the phone onto the guy behind the counter, who took the various details, result I didn't pay the fee, and now when I go to pick up a parcel they know the situation, so I just ask to defer ranson and they do it. Simples.

I managed to get my Roland and RE8 thru with no charges at all but the DH9a and HB29 were charged, PF turned up out of the blue on doorstep with the box! although this is a one off as all previous deliverys were preceded with a ranson note from PF, I usually just order all the new kits at once so as to pay a single handling charge and living over an hours drive from my nearest PF depot its not practicle to pop round and argue against the £8 charge.

Roy

Picked up my WNW order from post office,(Xmas present from girlfriend) Opened to find a Bristofighter instead of a DH9!

The parcel contained two Invoces one for my absent DH and one for the FB2 which should have gone to Granate Bay CA (Comiserations Patricia).

So it seems we may be stung by customs twice 'cos of WNW's bad!

Picked up my WNW order from post office,(Xmas present from girlfriend) Opened to find a Bristofighter instead of a DH9!

The parcel contained two Invoces one for my absent DH and one for the FB2 which should have gone to Granate Bay CA (Comiserations Patricia).

So it seems we may be stung by customs twice 'cos of WNW's bad!

Don't see why they shouldn't pay for that, as it was their cock-up.

A thought has occured to me having read through and heard a lot about the problems in receiving kits from far and wide and Parcel force. If its a case of not being at home when PF or even RM try to deliver your goodies, how about having them delivered to your place of work if thats applicable or OK with your employer. That way you are sure of receiving your kit in your hand and not worry about traipsing miles to your nearest sorting/collection office (Also away from SWMBO prying eyes and frisking). But I don't know if the 'hidden' blackmail charges etc still applies.

Worth a thought though.

Be careful having the parcel dropped off at work.

Years ago I ordered airbrush parts from the USA.

Even though it was marked personal and under my name, the Brokerage firm for my employer got ahold of it.

the chard was $40 cdn.

Their reasoning being "we are contracted to clear shipments by address"

So 40 on a 90 shipment.

It seems to happen to me once in a while.

UPS did it to me not too long ago.

Edited by Av8fan

That may have been due to the attitude of your company in Canada. Most employers in the UK are usually OK with receiving personal parcels as even the management where I work have personal mail delivered regularly as its the only means of assuringf they recieve the goods without the Royal Mail or whoever leaving with a neighbour, on the doorstep(very risky) or return to sorting office or depot awaiting fruther instruction from recipient.

I have seen two things stated as fact, on this web site and one other web site. One that you do not need to pay vat on childrens ie Plastic models when you import them. Two that it is illegal for Parcel Force to withhold a parcel from you. I cannot find any reference to these two facts. Can anyone direct me to where these statements are made please. Ancient One

I have seen two things stated as fact, on this web site and one other web site. One that you do not need to pay vat on childrens ie Plastic models when you import them.

I think that's import duty. Toys are liable for VAT.

I think that's import duty. Toys are liable for VAT.

Yes that right, no import duty but you have to pay VAT. Everything is vatable just a few things are zero rated; most food items,books, newspapers and magazines also children's clothes.

Julien

I took the long way round method. 2 Pfalz DIIIa delivered to a buddy in the USA. He will be bringing them over in early feb on his next visit. No VAT and no customs to worry about. Happy days!

When I get a chance to build the bloody thing is another matter :(

Bob

Paul,

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. There was no problem with the delivery, no one blinked. boss didn't say a word. Wont say what he thinks about modelling lol.

It was the fact that there is a Brokerage firm that is contracted to clear parcels to that company address.

Even if it says personal..blah blah.

so the Brokerage sent in a bill.

Paul,

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. There was no problem with the delivery, no one blinked. boss didn't say a word. Wont say what he thinks about modelling lol.

It was the fact that there is a Brokerage firm that is contracted to clear parcels to that company address.

Even if it says personal..blah blah.

so the Brokerage sent in a bill.

Sorry. There is always someone who wants to make a few extra bucks and be a jobsworthy.

Well, have finally succumbed and purchased the RE8 and Bristol Fighter. They have been nagging at me for a while. All things considered the are good value. Now we shall see how the PO/Parcel force behave.

This is my first kit purchase for possible ten years or so - maybe longer - I think the last may have been the Grand Phoenix/Airfix Lightning. The positive comment on this topic was the motivation.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally recived the DH9, which a few weeks back arrived heavily disguised as an FB2, and managed to avoid VAT as well. Is this some feindish barcode sysem which recoginses an item being sent as a replacement for a previous error ? Or could it be that, being packed quite tightly, the contents rattle less, thus attracting less attention?