Sea Vixen NEXT WEEK (Hannants)

atdb27

Sod it, was going to wait till I'd thinned down my stash a bit, but just ordered one from Hannants...

Same with me - during yesterday's visit to my LMS (initally only for a few paints) I spotted their first delivery batch, picked one up, resisted for 5 seconds and took it to the counter...resistance is futile or how they say...in german it's "Widerstand ist zwecklos"... :shrug:

I like what I see in the box.

Ingo

Mine came through earlier this week, have not opened the sprues bag but it looks bloody fantastic so far. The decal sheet is one of the best I have ever seen in a kit as well, plus its huge! If this is what we can expect of Airfix on their bigger kits from now on I think we might see their reputation improving substantially.

With all this talk about Vixens, Can I ask a small question?

Did the D.3 conversion change anything on the airframe from a standard FAW2?, I quite like the drone colour scheme.

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

The only thing I found when building a Drone from the Xtrakit was that it has small fairings above & below the wingtips. Unfortunately as both the wingtips & fairings were painted black the exact shape & size are a bit difficult to see!

Keef

Hi Shaun,

The only thing I found when building a Drone from the Xtrakit was that it has small fairings above & below the wingtips. Unfortunately as both the wingtips & fairings were painted black the exact shape & size are a bit difficult to see!

Keef

Thanks for the info.

I've had a look at Airfix Vixen decal sheet and I think you could make the Llanbedr drone XP924 by just added a fin flash and tail serial numbers and also using the kits decals?

100_0957.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I've had a look at Airfix Vixen decal sheet and I think you could make the Llanbedr drone XP924 by just added a fin flash and tail serial numbers and also using the kits decals?

I'd say that most of the decals needed for the drone are on the sheet, but also apart from the ones you mention there was some prominent stencilling on the jet (which the xtrakit has) & this does tend to show up clearly on the yellow top surfaces. Depends on whether omiting that would matter to you? I've sent you a PM.

Keef

If you want 'em, get 'em now - this rather frantic item is copied and pasted directly from Hannants' weekly e-mail newsletter:

"AX11002V 1:48 de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2.

All back orders placed to our old system before April 2010 have been cancelled so cannot be sent.

The Back Order system on the new system (after March 2010) is temporarily not working so we cannot send any orders from there at the moment.

If you want this kit PLEASE send a new order at the website.

This is limited. Airfix have not made enough. Originally it was going to be limited so we ordered enough to last for 2/3 years. When we were told it was a going to be a regular stock item so we cut our order down. As did several other shops. Airfix then decided to only make enough to supply the orders they all ready had. Thus making it a limited production and not making enough. We only found this out earlier this week.

If you have this on Back Order on the new website just click it from your Back Order into your cart (this cancels the back order) and then send the order £34.99 £29.78

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX11002V "

I bolded/italicized the key bit of information there.

John

I'd say that most of the decals needed for the drone are on the sheet, but also apart from the ones you mention there was some prominent stencilling on the jet (which the xtrakit has) & this does tend to show up clearly on the yellow top surfaces. Depends on whether omiting that would matter to you? I've sent you a PM.

Keef

The refueling markings can be found on some Canberra sheets.

PM returned

Shaun.