Sea Vixen NEXT WEEK (Hannants)

atdb27

They're mockups, based on Sea Venoms. There's reference to them, with a photograph, in one of the books on the subject, I can't find which one though. :unsure:

Cheers,

Bill.

Possibly David Watkins book on the Venom, according to which 4 x Sea Venom airframes were converted into "Vixettes" for a display at the 1962 Royal Tournament (necessary because the floor at Earl's Court wouldn't carry a proper Sea Vixen!). It shows an illustration of one such machine, mounted on a plinth outside Lee-on-Solent, serial is "XJ601/241 H", others were: XJ602/247 H" & XJ603/246 H" - all spurious.

They're mockups, based on Sea Venoms. There's reference to them, with a photograph, in one of the books on the subject, I can't find which one though. :unsure:

Cheers,

Bill.

Didn't one of them become a gate guardian?

Recall seening something on BM a while ago as well, Bill.

Edit: sorry Graham just seen your post.

Edited by walrus

Cheers,

Bill.

That's it, of course when you think about it the're way too small to be a real Sea Vixen.

Didn't one of them become a gate guardian?

Recall seening something on BM a while ago as well, Bill.

Edit: sorry Graham just seen your post.

Weren`t they built from Sea Venoms to represent Sea Vixens during the Royal Tournament at Earls Court?

Speaking of Sea Venom conversions, what about the one which had a pointed radome added, wings clipped, booms removed and Gannet fins added to the top of each wing! It was painted white with Royal Navy painted on the side and taxied out onto the airfield (at Lossiemouth I think?) during an airshow after being announced as the latest `top secret' naval fighter...it got to the end of the runway but then the announced told the croed that it had a tech problem and it taxied back to dispersal behind a hangar again...no doubt to a crowd of waiting groundcrew rolling around on the floor laughing...what a wind up...typical Fleet Air Arm humour!

Sorry if I`ve gone off thread......I`m still waiting to hear whether my LHS has any Sea Vixens yet?

Cheers

Tony O

Weren`t they built from Sea Venoms to represent Sea Vixens during the Royal Tournament at Earls Court?

Speaking of Sea Venom conversions, what about the one which had a pointed radome added, wings clipped, booms removed and Gannet fins added to the top of each wing! It was painted white with Royal Navy painted on the side and taxied out onto the airfield (at Lossiemouth I think?) during an airshow after being announced as the latest `top secret' naval fighter...it got to the end of the runway but then the announced told the croed that it had a tech problem and it taxied back to dispersal behind a hangar again...no doubt to a crowd of waiting groundcrew rolling around on the floor laughing...what a wind up...typical Fleet Air Arm humour!

Sorry if I`ve gone off thread......I`m still waiting to hear whether my LHS has any Sea Vixens yet?

Cheers

Tony O

This happened at Abbotsinch, it was called the 'DH Vennet' - photo and information in the David Watkins book on the Venom.

Peter

Tony at Dorking Models

called up Airfix while I was there today and they were packing & shiping 'em out.

So all being well around mid day tmrw (Friday) he will have 18 delivered to him :pray:

Adrian

I was in Dorking Models yesterday and couldn't spot any Vixens. Have they been delayed?

Cheers

Tony O

That sounds interesting. Do you know if any photos exist of it?

Still in two minds about getting a Sea Vixen but dare say cash will be parted with once I see one. Airfix certainly are turning out kits that make my wish-list lately and the new box-art helps a great deal.

Hmmm... had toyed (briefly) with the idea of adding the Sea Vixen to my 'wish list' - but I've just had a look at the price and decided that £35 is a bit too much for something that is just a passing fancy. Seems to me that my favourite hobby is finally outreaching my wallet. I'm now finding it hard to justify many of the current model prices as 'worthwhile'.

Fortunately, I should have enough unbuilt models in my stash to keep me going, despite the obvious 'desire' for new and interesting models that are coming along. A rethink has just trimmed my existing wishlist from £900 down to £55 (two models only!).

Kev - trying to force himself to become a builder and NOT a collector! :)

Picked up mine today and I have to say it is the dog's danglies of a kit and some! Cracking value for money as well. I reckon that were the likes of Taniya or Hasegawa to do this subject we would be looking at an £80 plus price tag, I can feel another marathon build coming on down the line. I will probably do mine as a D3 drone.

Martin

Sprue shots or you don't have one Martin :P

You're just jealous! Anyway the sprue shots have already been put up on the other Vixen thread so there! :bleh: . The actual plastic is better in the flesh than in the pics. Even from straight the box there is clearly an awful lot of modelling in the kit and for those of us who chose to go to town on it then the world is our lobster. Even for the quickest modeller the cost of this kit is going to average out at a few pence an hour.

Martin

Moi?! Jealous?

nooonooonono no :nono:

well okay lots :weep:

The annoying thing from my perspective is by the time I have whittled away at the 1/72 Xtrakit with Xtradecals and possibly added some nice resin bits it will cost as much as the Airfix 1/48 OOB.

looking at the sprue shots I was thinking you have to be careful what you wish for... gosh I would like one!

Hope it is as enjoyable as it looks :D

Edited by walrus

I think your LMS speak with forked tounge. Plastic Pastimes in Poole have them and are knocking them out for £34.99. I would have thought Exeter would have been on the same delivery run. And I thought Airfix were now running their own stuff of at their factory in India. I'd pop up to Poole; the opening hours are shorter than most shops but the prices are very keen and you might pick up a few other bargins as well as the shop is very up to the minute with its stock. If comming up I would phone and ask for them to put one by for you as the owner told me this morning that they are selling very quickly indeed.

Martin

I visited my local model shop today to see if they had had their delivery yet, only to be told he probably wasn't going to get them this side of christmas due to problem in China, and that the pre vat rise price is £39.99!

Needless to say, i'm not getting one from him!

Antony

Isca Models per chance Antony? Always find him expensive and slow to get new releases but he's the only LHS left in Exeter. What about Antics in Plymouth or the toy shop in Newton Abbot, I'm pretty sure they stock Airfix.