Airfix Canberra's

Gary West

Bill,

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated. Its down to me being a muppet, lets see now, black and white photos? Duh ofcourse its not going to appear the right shade of grey is it. :suicide:

Roll on next week, sprog back at school, back to my Cranberry............ Ah bliss

Bex

Thanks Bill, thanks John. :)

Really didn't mean to sound like I was bickering - but I can still (just!!) remember what I saw back in the dark ages! One thing with the 'on target' book, a friend who is much more observant than me has picked up a couple of errors in the artwork, which are pretty obvious when you cross refer them to the pictures in the Delve et al Canberra book that they quote as the reference! Still a lovely book though, & the Delve book which my son managed to win for a £1 in the tombola in the nats a couple of years back is just fantastic! :D

Cheers

keef

I encountered my first silver PR.9 in Libya early one morning when it came in from "somewhere east" It was from 58 Sqn. When I joined 39 in 69 all our '9's were grey /green/ silver as were 13's.

John

Canberra771libya.jpg

Generally speaking, and I daresay there were exceptions to this rule, I can't think of ANY post war aircraft in frontline British service that was left in Natural Metal - apart from the Lightning. Even the Nat metal CL-13 Sabres were painted upon arrival....

There were of course some transport aircraft (are they front line?), especially the VIP types, but the only combat aircraft (save for a solitary Javelin) would be the B-29 Washingtons, and I wonder if it was in the MDAP agreement that the RAF couldn't repaint them.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0747306/L/

I encountered my first silver PR.9 in Libya early one morning when it came in from "somewhere east" It was from 58 Sqn. When I joined 39 in 69 all our '9's were grey /green/ silver as were 13's.

Canberra771libya.jpg

Not sure if your remarks are about your picture John, if so that's not a PR9, but a PR7.

Not sure if your remarks are about your picture John, if so that's not a PR9, but a PR7.

Not PR7 but a B(1)6, stuck off charge 19/08/64 as Cat 5 damage also if u look closely, the 4 camera doors are missing and the open doors are bomb bay and not flare bay as theres No.6 fuel tank missing, hence not a PR Bird.

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Yes, I know it's not a 9 but it is a B.6 of 12 Sqn to illustrate a HS finish. Taken Castel Benito ( RAF Idris) Libya 1960. Of interest there is a Catalina in the background and out of shot there was a Lockheed Hudson . I only noticed it when I posted the pic that it is carrying a Blue Shadow aerial something we never used on 12.

John