Airfix Canberra's

Gary West

As mentioned higher-up, personally I dont care which version comes along first - I'll build one of each anyway - I'm just very happy that Trevor and his colleagues have still got jobs and a role in the direction of Hornby/Airfix. I'm even happier that (new) Airfix is still with us. Again as somebody else here mentioned, who would have believed five years ago that we would be about to have a choice of 1:48 Canberras from two companies, fantastic !.... doesn't get much better does it ??

Well, there is that matter of the 1:72 BAC/EE Lightning family that somebody has to produce sometime soon..

Ian

And don't forget Classic have just sold a fair few goldfish bowl variants,so that also may have had a bearing on Airfix's thinking.

Not really, there was some guff being put around that CA would have hoovered up the market by the time the Airfix kits were released, which fails to either understand or appreciate that CAs production runs and market reach are only a fraction that of Airfix, and CA are selling mainly to the enthusiast end anyway.

After all, how many F-16s are there on the market and yet there's still room for more.

Nothing is being modified to make anything you'll be pleased to know. There will be three entire seperate fuselages and two sets of wings. Fuselages will be for the B(I).8 and B.2 with drop in sections for canopy differences (a la most older single/twin seat F-16 kits if you get my drift!), a seperate PR.9 fuselage and yet another entirely seperate mould for the B-57 fuselage. There will be a set of standard wings with engine inserts for the differences between Canberras and B-57's and a seperate set for the PR.9. Nothing will be modified, they are all being tooled at the same time.

Shame it's the wrong scale but hey ho!

Wot!! No PR3/PR7 fuselage!! Wonder if anyone will issue a fuselage plug?

Wot!! No PR3/PR7 fuselage!! Wonder if anyone will issue a fuselage plug?

Bill,

the engines & fuse & nose & wings are different on the PR3 & PR7 in a big way.

Bex

Not really, there was some guff being put around that CA would have hoovered up the market by the time the Airfix kits were released, which fails to either understand or appreciate that CAs production runs and market reach are only a fraction that of Airfix, and CA are selling mainly to the enthusiast end anyway.

After all, how many F-16s are there on the market and yet there's still room for more.

I wasn't saying that the market won't support two models of the same type (ain't just sixteens you could use as an example!) & I don't subscribe to or spout such 'guff' as you put it either. But I still believe it's sensible marketing on Airfix's part to put out a variant that hasn't been produced before rather than just heaping the same ones on us that CA has just produced. I have two CA 'fish bowl variants & I wouldn't buy another B2 or derivative if that was Airfix's first release. I will buy a B(I)8 - can't see that I'm the only one that'll be in that position?. I think it's a breath of fresh air that such a sensible plan was implemented. Or was it just luck.....??!! :unsure::lol:

However, I also believe that despite the usual Airfix 'market reach' as you put it, the majority of their 48th Canberras will, like the CA ones, go to the enthusiast market - size, price & subject matter will surely see to that. How many of Joe Public will actually know what a Canberra is (was?!) and even if they do how many will spend that sort of money on a whim, on something they probably won't be able to build & even if they do won't have anywhere to display? It's a bit of a different prospect than a 72nd Spitfire!

But hey, what do I know, I ain't no marketing exec - if I were I could afford a lot more Canberras & a bigger house to keep 'em in!! :rolleyes:

Keef

Bill,

the engines & fuse & nose & wings are different on the PR3 & PR7 in a big way.

Bex

Hi Becky,

'fraid thats not exactly correct, are you confusing the PR3 and the PR9 maybe??......

The PR3 & PR7 were derivatives of the B2 & B6 respectivelly, which were essentially indentical in overall dimensions - i.e in length & wingspan (discounting any nose/tail amendments: T.17, T.22 etc,.,).

Likewise the engines on the B2 were virtually the same as the PR3; those on the B6 virtually the same as the PR7......

The main difference between the PR3/PR7 and other Canberra versions was a 14-inch extension to the forward fuselage, aft of the cockpit and forward of the wing root to accommodate an additional fuel tank, camera bay and a flare bay.

It was this 14" extension that I was referring to..........which in 1/48th would be .29th of an inch!! (just under a third of an inch!)

The PR9 on the other hand was a totally different birdie!!

I should imagine that blends into the sky and clouds really well.. :rolleyes:

Looking up at it you see L/AC Grey and looking down on it, you see camouflage, so yes I guess it does. You stick to yourJapanesestuff matey - you know the Orange things that really do look good against a blue sky. :chair:

Hi Becky,

'fraid thats not exactly correct, are you confusing the PR3 and the PR9 maybe??......

The PR3 & PR7 were derivatives of the B2 & B6 respectivelly, which were essentially indentical in overall dimensions - i.e in length & wingspan (discounting any nose/tail amendments: T.17, T.22 etc,.,).

Likewise the engines on the B2 were virtually the same as the PR3; those on the B6 virtually the same as the PR7......

The main difference between the PR3/PR7 and other Canberra versions was a 14-inch extension to the forward fuselage, aft of the cockpit and forward of the wing root to accommodate an additional fuel tank, camera bay and a flare bay.

It was this 14" extension that I was referring to..........which in 1/48th would be .29th of an inch!! (just under a third of an inch!)

The PR9 on the other hand was a totally different birdie!!

Bill, are you a fellow Cranberry Nut by any chance? As for your original post, please ignore my reply, only one cup of coffee at that point, that will teach me. On my 3rd now and with it LoL

However, B2/PR3 was fitted with Avon RA3's & B6/PR7 was fitted with RA7's and also the PR7 had 2 tanks per wing (well WH773 has anyhoo)

Bex

I wasn't saying that the market won't support two models of the same type (ain't just sixteens you could use as an example!) & I don't subscribe to or spout such 'guff' as you put it either. But I still believe it's sensible marketing on Airfix's part to put out a variant that hasn't been produced before rather than just heaping the same ones on us that CA has just produced. I have two CA 'fish bowl variants & I wouldn't buy another B2 or derivative if that was Airfix's first release. I will buy a B(I)8 - can't see that I'm the only one that'll be in that position?. I think it's a breath of fresh air that such a sensible plan was implemented. Or was it just luck.....??!! :unsure::lol:

However, I also believe that despite the usual Airfix 'market reach' as you put it, the majority of their 48th Canberras will, like the CA ones, go to the enthusiast market - size, price & subject matter will surely see to that. How many of Joe Public will actually know what a Canberra is (was?!) and even if they do how many will spend that sort of money on a whim, on something they probably won't be able to build & even if they do won't have anywhere to display? It's a bit of a different prospect than a 72nd Spitfire!

But hey, what do I know, I ain't no marketing exec - if I were I could afford a lot more Canberras & a bigger house to keep 'em in!! :rolleyes:

Keef

Don't worry Keef, I wasn't suggesting you'd said anything of the sort, there will of course be some cross over between the Airfix and CA markets, but ultimately the CA kits are only produced for a short time whereas the Airfix Canberras are a long term investment.

Like Bill I love the PR.9 and I fancy either a Hemp one as per Bill's Mbox kit.

Bill, are you a fellow Cranberry Nut by any chance? As for your original post, please ignore my reply, only one cup of coffee at that point, that will teach me. On my 3rd now and with it LoL

However, B2/PR3 was fitted with Avon RA3's & B6/PR7 was fitted with RA7's and also the PR7 had 2 tanks per wing (well WH773 has anyhoo)

Bex

'tis true Becky....I do like my Cranberries; A Cranberry Nut though? Nah!!!

PR 9 is my second favourite & I'd really rather like a high speed silver one - I just need that bigger house first!!! :D

Cheers

Keef

You need to finish that Hunter 1st!!!!

I'm going to build ONE 1/48th PR9 (or maybe two!!) - which will most likely be the nice shiney one from 39 Sqn as posted above, however.....I may well have to get a few of the MPM/Xtrakit 1/72nd scale kit's WHEN they're issued to finish the other schemes.....agreed!! The High Speed Silver scheme looks particularly nice on the PR9.......

PR 9 is my second favourite & I'd really rather like a high speed silver one - I just need that bigger house first!!! :D

Cheers

Keef

I just adore PR7's (but then I am a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit biased LoL) I wish I had a bigger house, the other half wont let me have any other ceiling but the dining room and Im not allowed any shelves as the minute I put one up Lego gets moved onto it :angrysoapbox.sml:

Bex

I'm looking forward to the PR9 too but nowhere near as much as the B2. Okay, the PR9 is a great machine but I've never regarded it as a "real" Canberra - it's far too different. You may as well call the U-2 a Starfighter variant by the same logic!

I'll definitely grab a B(I)8 kit and a PR9, but the B-2 (engine intakes for a B6 too?) is the one which has so much potential. Good grief, you could spend a lifetime just building Canberras!

As for the Xtrakit PR9, is it based on the MPM B2 mould? Hope it's a good one, along with the Lightning. Great to see some iconic aircraft getting the right treatment at last. Wonder if Airfix will eventually follow-up with the long-rumoured 48th Meteor and Hunter (and the 72nd Valiant)?

Only thing left for Canberra fanatics would be a Revell 32nd scale kit - phwoar!

I just adore PR7's (but then I am a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit biased LoL) I wish I had a bigger house, the other half wont let me have any other ceiling but the dining room and Im not allowed any shelves as the minute I put one up Lego gets moved onto it :angrysoapbox.sml:

Bex

:ditto: .....oh, and B2s, T4s, T11s and T19s!

I'm definitely looking forward to the B(I).8, as I have already built the CA B.2 - and the PR.9 looks attractive too!

Then I shall need to buy a bigger house........

BTW,

Paul is a bit modest....he did a GREAT build and review in this months IPMS/USA Journal. Great reading and great build Paul!! :hobbyhorse: