Airfix Canberra's

Gary West

The Nimrod thread reaching the "limited" discussion point has made me wonder about the new Canberra's. Has anyone heard whether these will be limited or good old fashioned get em wherever you want?

Hi Gary, I've been reliably informed that the Canberra's will NOT be limited - which is good news.....

Canberras are normal production AFAIK. The test shots at Yeovilton were literally hot off the moulds and not the finished model.

Have to say that in comparison to the Nimrod, 1/48 Canberras look small!

Sounds good thought don't it - Airfix Nimrods and Canberras. Been a dream for a long while!

Canberras are normal production AFAIK. The test shots at Yeovilton were literally hot off the moulds and not the finished model.

Have to say that in comparison to the Nimrod, 1/48 Canberras look small!

Sounds good thought don't it - Airfix Nimrods and Canberras. Been a dream for a long while!

Now that we hear that the B2 is low down on the list, what sort of time frame are we looking for launch Jon?

er... what version if the first release gonna be then? Please don't tell me it's the PR9 - all those markings options (not)!

Well I hope it is - my favourite mark of Canberra. Probably 9 variations possible from Speed Silver through to ARTF & Chilea of course.

B(I)8 is the first release I hear.

Stephen

Ive heard that too, plus a friend sent me a pic on my mobile of the test kit, its an 8 alright. Also from their point of view if the 8 sells well its easier for them to convert the moulds to PR9, where as is they start with any of the bulb tops theyre quite different from eachother if they want to do the models properly & to scale. Just my 2 penneth worth. Just wish they'd hurry up and crank em out LoL

Bex

Got a PR9 on order with hannants already, and some Model Alliance decals in the drawer too (Persian Princess for me please! :D). If the kits are good I may buy another, an American B-57 (ideally the G model) in Vietnam configuration appeals to me the most after the PR9 though, with the B8s and goldfish bowls looking a bit plain jane in British markings compared to how mean the tandem seat, SEA scheme yank jets look - heresy to say as such on this forum perhaps....

A B-57G would be nice, apparently the first aircraft to use laser guided bombs in action (500lb paveway Is) and also the first aircraft to designate its own targets with laser....

Edited by WolvoWill

Got a PR9 on order with hannants already, and some Model Alliance decals in the drawer too (Persian Princess for me please! :D). If the kits are good I may buy another, an American B-57 (ideally the G model) in Vietnam configuration appeals to me the most after the PR9 though, with the B8s and goldfish bowls looking a bit plain jane in British markings compared to how mean the tandem seat, SEA scheme yank jets look - heresy to say as such on this forum perhaps....

A B-57G would be nice, apparently the first aircraft to use laser guided bombs in action (500lb paveway Is) and also the first aircraft to designate its own targets with laser....

Well for a self confessed Cranberry Nutter, once I have finished my 1/72 Canberra fleet, I will have 3 USAF B57 variants & 4 RAF Variants, but I must admit Im looking forwards to having a go at my B57G, I wouldnt have wanted to be underneath one when it threw its toys. However, if Airfix decide in the future to do a bowl top then a nice big PR7 will do me, cant imagine why LoL :speak_cool:

Bex

Doesn't really matter whether Airfix start with a B(I)8 or a B2 - both kits will have to be drastically revised to make a PR9 so I assume the PR9 would either be the first release or the last.

I suppose the logic behind the B(I)8 is that lots of people will be eager to buy a Canberra no matter what version it is, and then they're bound to want another one when the "generic" B2 comes along later. Guess it makes commercial sense. Apart from the RAFG machines, I suppose the black icing tanker would be a nice model to make from the Mk8, or one of those Indian target tugs.

As for Wolvo's comments - are you serious?! Canberras in British markings looking a bit "Plain Jane"??? Good grief, I can't think of many aircraft which have been treated to more colourful and exotic colour schemes - hard to know where to start (or when to stop)!

I wouldnt have wanted to be underneath one when it threw its toys - I surely wouldn't wanna be anywhere near a Canberra B(I)8 when it dropped (or threw) its store!!!!!

Edited by Tim

I suppose the logic behind the B(I)8 is that lots of people will be eager to buy a Canberra no matter what version it is, and then they're bound to want another one when the "generic" B2 comes along later. Guess it makes commercial sense. Apart from the RAFG machines, I suppose the black icing tanker would be a nice model to make from the Mk8, or one of those Indian target tugs.

And don't forget Classic have just sold a fair few goldfish bowl variants,so that also may have had a bearing on Airfix's thinking.I only really have room for 1 more 48th Canberra (if that!) & as the B(i)8 is my all time favourite I'll be rather glad if its first (though hopefully a couple of months after the 2 Nimblobs I have on order to give my credit card some recovery time!!)

Keef

Edited by keefr22

A Canberra B.8 would very nice indeed, I want one to kit bash an English Electric P.12 (All Weather Interceptor Canberra proposal EE made to the RAF in 1956).

Cheers

O.K.

In the end the nice thing is that we not only have different variants of the Cranberry......We actually have TWO companies making injection moulded kits!! Who would have thought that 5 years ago!! I am stoked but it seriously needs to be on par with the 1/48 Lightning which in my humble opinion is the nicest kit Airfix ever boxed!!

Doesn't really matter whether Airfix start with a B(I)8 or a B2 - both kits will have to be drastically revised to make a PR9 so I assume the PR9 would either be the first release or the last.

Nothing is being modified to make anything you'll be pleased to know. There will be three entire seperate fuselages and two sets of wings. Fuselages will be for the B(I).8 and B.2 with drop in sections for canopy differences (a la most older single/twin seat F-16 kits if you get my drift!), a seperate PR.9 fuselage and yet another entirely seperate mould for the B-57 fuselage. There will be a set of standard wings with engine inserts for the differences between Canberras and B-57's and a seperate set for the PR.9. Nothing will be modified, they are all being tooled at the same time.

Shame it's the wrong scale but hey ho!