Hawk cockpit grey

Shaun

I have a feeling this might have been covered before Shaun. Have a search... could have been when I was building mine :hmmm:

Sorry I don't know the answer, but my brain's like swiss cheese these days :hypnotised:

I've done a quick search and it appears I'm not the only one confused :unsure:

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.ph...hl=hawk+cockpit

Looking at photo's does not really help, the seats are Dark Grey, but the side panels and instrument panel do appear to be a lighter colour when you check close up photo's :hmmm:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Derek,

If memory serves, Airfix quote different Humbrol colours for the floor (27-Matt Sea Grey) and the rest of the cockpit (165 - Medium Sea Grey) for the T1/1A. Do you reckon this is just someone's interpretation of different lighting or are they indeed painted differently?

Cheers,

Kirk

Derek,

If memory serves, Airfix quote different Humbrol colours for the floor (27-Matt Sea Grey) and the rest of the cockpit (165 - Medium Sea Grey) for the T1/1A. Do you reckon this is just someone's interpretation of different lighting or are they indeed painted differently?

Cheers,

Kirk

Probably the latter, given Derek's comment above... he's the man on the spot, so his word is law! :worthy:;)

Kirk,

Everything in the cockpit should be matt dark sea grey. Humbrol M27 is very close to the actual colour, but is a tad too blue in certain lighting conditions. Humbrol 164 (or equivalent) is probably the best match.

HTH

Derek

Derek,

Cheers,

Kirk

Thanks for the info,

Derek seems to be the best person to quote, ;)

I'll paint the cockpit Humbrol 164(Dark Sea Grey), which I know drys with a nice satin finish which will make weathering a lot easyer.

Once it's all painted, I'll matt it down with varnish. :thumbsup2:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Shaun,

Your most welcome :thumbsup2: I would probably go about it the same way that you are planning.

When it comes to RAF aircraft cockpit colours, for some reason, modellers seem to get their knickers in a bit of a twist on this subject! I think that the problems arise from the nature of the paint itself. Matt dark sea grey, to the eye in good daylight seems to be a well defined colour. However, use differing light conditions (especially flash photography) and the colour (hue) becomes so different that you wonder sometimes if it really is dark sea grey! (a good warning there about trying to determine the colour from photographs alone).

Generally, as a rule of thumb (for RAF jet aircraft anyway), most 1950's jets, up until to mid-60's or so, were generally matt (quickly becoming satin with use and wear) black cockpit interiors (Meteors, Vampires, Hunters, etc). From about the mid-60's on (during new build, re-build, mid-life updates, etc), the cockpits were gradually painted matt dark sea grey for the majority of jet aircraft.

Aircraft with dark sea grey interiors include: Hawk, Lightning (originally matt black until the F.Mk.2 - becoming dark sea grey with the introduction of OR946 cockpit instrumentation), Jaguar (similar story to the Lightning), Harrier (GR.1/3 and trainers & Sea Harriers), Tornado, Buccaneer, Phantom FG.1/FGR.2, Tucano, etc (basically, just about everything had dark sea grey interiors). Ejection seats are generally the same colour also (or black, although Lightning type 4BS ejection seats (and Buccaneers) had medium sea grey seat pans and black rails/gun/upper portions to the seat!).

I do not know what colour is used in the RAF Harrier II (GR.9) - it may be a US equivalent, or it may now be proper dark sea grey. Likewise with the Eurofighter/Typhoon (this will require confirmation from 'someone in the know').

HTH

Derek

Thanks for the info,

Derek seems to be the best person to quote, ;)

I'll paint the cockpit Humbrol 164(Dark Sea Grey), which I know drys with a nice satin finish which will make weathering a lot easyer.

Once it's all painted, I'll matt it down with varnish. :thumbsup2:

Shaun.