Show us your 1/72 WW1 Revell Kits!

Stormed

Nice work Steve. I agree it's a pity the Neuiport 17 is no where near as common as the other Revell aircraft. The blue rider decals look interesting- could you tell me which set they appear in? I can't quite see in your photos- do they include any lettering or 'Lebvedez' logos? (or Dux, I can never remember which type of roundel denotes each manufacturer!)

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Thanks Will,

Got the sheet from Hannants. It is the Imperial Russian Air Service & Navy Markings 1914-1917, 1/72 scale, Sheet No BR-244.

The Nieuport markings are generic Dux for the type and there are only roundels of three different sizes. There are similar for a Farman and the other roundels are of the thicker style, very similar to the American. The sheet appears to be part of a series which includes markings for several Bolshevik aircraft too.

Regards, Steve

Hi Will,

Nice to see this one at last. It looks an excellent build even minus the tail skid. Can you post some info about the decals ?

Cheers, Steve

Sorry Steve- only just noticed your question. The decals are from Insignia Colour Guide No. 2 (1/72 scale decals)

Fokker D.VII in Foreign Service

The lozenge is by techmod (and incorrectly applied before I knew it went on diagonally!)

The insignia decals that are actually included on the sheet are accurate, but the placement notes are incorrect. The placement notes suggested the German crosses were left unmodified on the upper wings (I haven't found a single photo to support this, but plenty to contradict it!) and that the nose was grey (again- no photos to support it, but plenty to contradict) The exact same plane was well photographed with a factory-standard green and purple 'ersatz lozenge' patterned nose. The decals were very thin, but went on fine.

I made the large wing 'hakaristis' in the same way I suppose the Finns did!: I simply extended the German crosses. Because I used a set of Roden crosses to create the 'arms' of the hakaristi, I also achieved the welcomed effect of the 'arms' being more translucent (because they are thinner decals) than the Revell centres. This effect is very visible on the real aircraft.

hope that helps- oh, and it's got a tail skid now!

Will

Thanks Will,

Got the sheet from Hannants. It is the Imperial Russian Air Service & Navy Markings 1914-1917, 1/72 scale, Sheet No BR-244.

The Nieuport markings are generic Dux for the type and there are only roundels of three different sizes. There are similar for a Farman and the other roundels are of the thicker style, very similar to the American. The sheet appears to be part of a series which includes markings for several Bolshevik aircraft too.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve, worth bearing in mind for a future project...

Will