Show us your 1/72 WW1 Revell Kits!

Stormed

I am building a Nieuport 28 c.1 from Revells' kit at the moment. Might not be the best Kit of the Ni.28 but at only £3.50, I can't complain. I would love to see other peoples efforts with these small, cheap Revell Kits. There are a fair few about, the D.V11, Se5a, Eindecker, DR1, Camel ect.

So far I´ve built the,

Albatross DIII

Fokker DVII

Sopwith F.1 Camel

Fokker E. III

and at the moment I´m trying to build the De Havilland D.H.2 (all that rigging!!!)

The Albatross is already posted here, the others I will post later but can be seen on my blog. :coolio:

So far I´ve built the,

Albatross DIII

Fokker DVII

Sopwith F.1 Camel

Fokker E. III

and at the moment I´m trying to build the De Havilland D.H.2 (all that rigging!!!)

The Albatross is already posted here, the others I will post later but can be seen on my blog. :coolio:

Both the Sopwith Triplane and Spad X111 are available at present. There was also a Nieuport 17 and a Morane Salnieur N which I haven't seen around for years. Always wondered if the MS N could be used to make a BB biplane type. Although there are some inaccuracies I've always thought these were good kits in their own right in most cases. They also can form the basis for some relatively simple conversions.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,

Since I got into WWI planes, about 6 months ago (prviously only 1/72nd scale figures) I have become a bit obsesive with them. At the moment I have decided to give myself a bit of a beating and try the Revell De Havilland D.H.2, and do as much of the rigging as I can.

This is as far as I have got in the last two days;

2ynjew5.jpg

I´m definately going to give every Revell WWI plane (1/72nd) a go befor moving onto more exspensive and complicated makes.

I´m not going for any sort of perfect build at the moment, more or less OOB´s but each time I want to get a bit further.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul RH

Hi Paul,

I wish you well as any pusher is a pain when it comes to rigging. I've always done 1/72 and worked to the principle that I build presentations not replicas. On this premis I rig wings, sometimes tails, for effect, not perfection. When I build this kit again it will be wings rigged as your photo suggests and whatever long run can be achieved through the booms.

Regards,

Steve

The last WW1 plane I built was a Morane Sulnier (?) (name comes from memory, can't remember who made the kit but it was 1/72) about 40 years ago.

Some nice stuff out there these days, and on this site. Maybe time to have another bash... If my old eyes can stand the strain.

Ok...here are mine so far...Be critical as you want but remember, I only got into planes about 6 months ago and I´m still learning.

Fokkker D III

npgc51.jpg

Albatross...these were my first attempts...I used sewing thread for the rigging...it shows !!!!.

4zw86x.jpg

Sopwith F.1. This time I used stretched sprue for the rigging.

2zrkpsl.jpg

The Fokker DVII pics later.

I did the Tripe a few years ago (before Revell re-issued it). Apart from looking slightly over scale, plus some nasty ejector indents in the wings, it definitely gets my vote!

Very complex rigging scheme though!!!!!!

FredT

P9150554.jpg

P9150556.jpg

I've got the D.III in the stash - a Christmas present from my son last year. Not my usual era but I will build it soon.

As I have absolutely no references on things with stereo wings, can it be built OOB (i) accurately and (ii) easily - rigging apart?

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

I've got the D.III in the stash - a Christmas present from my son last year. Not my usual era but I will build it soon.

As I have absolutely no references on things with stereo wings, can it be built OOB (i) accurately and (ii) easily - rigging apart?

Trevor

Well I´m no real expert but so far I´ve found It is one of the easier to build..minimal rigging, it took me about 4 hours total.

The kit I have had a lozenge pattern decal set supplied with it that is a bit like a paint by numbers thing. I tried but eventually gave up and found the pattern on the web, printed it off, reduced it and made my own decals.

I know this is not 1/72, but it is Revell (and actually even older than the 1/72...), and I can't resist the opportunity to get both images in the same thread, and especially to send a big thank you to Mr Lampie, whose build inspired me, and whose scan was vital reference!

web.jpg

Interestingly, Capt LP Coombes, the naval instructor in question, became the founding and very long-serving director of the Australian Aeronautical Research Establishment - Farnborough Down Under. (...he was also technical advisor to the winning Supermarine 1927 Schneider Trophy team...)

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

BILD0305.jpg

Hi,

Just a quickie for Trevor. The Revell D111 needs the nose lengthening, the fuselage to the rear of the cockpit is 2mm too shallow and the sides have to be filed flatter. OOB the rear fuselage is more DV than D111. I used 60 thou card on the nose, filed to shape and card wedges of 2mm have to be inserted into a cut made from the stabiliser cut outs to the rear of the cockpit. Then filler and shape. Those are the only corrections I made. Many years ago, in a magazine called Wings, Ray Rimmel published an article that dealt with this kit. I have it and will try and dig it out if anyone's interested.

Not the best photo but hopefully it shows the difference in fuselage shape.

Regards, Steve

Oh! OH!! I see myself starting another Camel build and using that colour scheme. (right now wheres my coffee cup ?? :hypnotised: )

@ cmatthewbacon...what scale is the sopwith...1/48??

@Steve...I´m interested in the Ray Rimmel article.. :thumbsup2:

@ cmatthewbacon...what scale is the sopwith...1/48??

Nope... that's the venerable Revell 1/28 beastie, dating back to 1959! In other scales, I'd suggest the Hobbycraft "Clerget" or "Aces" boxings in 1/32 or the Eduard in 1/48. I don't think the Revell (ex-Aurora?? Perhaps also available as Smer) 1/48 version is up to much...

bestest,

M.