Sd.Kfz. 186 Jagdtiger (Porsche suspension)

I decided to dig this miniature monster out and build it as a practice run for painting some small-scale German armour. It's a pretty nice kit with good detail and no fit problems. Construction is very quick and easy, and made easier still by not having to paint sixteen lots of rubber tyres! The only downside is the rubber tracks. Althought nicely detailed, they cannot (despite what Trumpeter say in their instructions) be glued with regular plastic glue. Even superglue has no effect on them. Instead, they had to be stapled, and hiding a staple is a bit of a problem in 1:72.

Jagdtiger1.jpg

Jagdtiger2.jpg

Jagdtiger3.jpg

Jagdtiger4.jpg

The only downside is the rubber tracks. Althought nicely detailed, they cannot (despite what Trumpeter say in their instructions) be glued with regular plastic glue. Even superglue has no effect on them. Instead, they had to be stapled, and hiding a staple is a bit of a problem in 1:72.

Did you give the CA enough time to set? I've had the same problem with the rubber tracks in the AFV Club 1:35 IDF Centurion Sh'ot. They appeared to be un-glue-able but I just had to give the CA enough time to do what it had to do. End result wasn't perfect but that was due to the fact that the tracks were a bit too short. Eventually the CA set perfectly well.

Love the Jagdtiger btw... 1:72 seems a tiny scale to build AFV stuff but you pulled this one off very well.

Thanks everyone!

Very nice Paul.

I have the Dragon one in the stash.

I hope it turns out as good as this :)

What's the Dragon kit like Daz? Does it have link and length tracks or rubber band jobbies?

Did you give the CA enough time to set? I've had the same problem with the rubber tracks in the AFV Club 1:35 IDF Centurion Sh'ot. They appeared to be un-glue-able but I just had to give the CA enough time to do what it had to do. End result wasn't perfect but that was due to the fact that the tracks were a bit too short. Eventually the CA set perfectly well.

Love the Jagdtiger btw... 1:72 seems a tiny scale to build AFV stuff but you pulled this one off very well.

Well patience isn't my strong point... :) I left it for a couple of hours but it just peeled right off the rubber tracks. I was going to try a two-part epoxy but in the end I settled for a staple. It wouldn't show up at all if the kit had fenders - trust me to pick the one Jagdtiger without them!