Triebflugel

Martian

Me and my big mouth! I'll get cracking then and get some pics up over the weekend. Still box top picture and see, there's even a book on the subject!

101_1708.jpg

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Right! Here are the first pictures of my Triebflugel build. Apart from adding a head rest, a gunsight and some seat belts I'm not going to do anything to the cockpit as the opening is so small that any work will not be visible. I have assembled the rear fuselage and the rotor ring. The ring needs quite a bit of cleaning up and I am going to have to address the issue of the totally inadequate attachments of the rotors to the ring as they are not going to survive five minutes as they are. I will get round this using some Albion Alloys telescopic brass tube. This is, I believe one of Huma's older mouldings and as such has a bit of flash that needs cleaning up and some of the panel lines might need re-scribing. Hopefully I will have more pictures over the weekend.

Martin

101_1710.jpg

101_1716.jpg

101_1713.jpg

101_1714.jpg

Some more picture of progress to date. The fit of the ram jet parts is poor and I think this is going to slow things up a little with all the filling and sanding that will be involved. Getting all five wheels of the undercarriage to sit on a level surface at the same time was fun, not!

Martin

101_1719.jpg

101_1722-1-1.jpg

101_1725.jpg

101_1724.jpg

I finally bludgeoned the ram jets together and filled and thought I would do a test fit to see how the thing might look when it is finished. Talking of finishes I supose I had better start thinking what finish I might like my model in when it is finished. As the real programme never resulted in a completed airframe I supose the world is my lobster on that front.

Martin

101_1726.jpg

101_1727.jpg

Over the last few days I have got the forward fuselage assembled and glued to the rotor ring and rear fuselage. I have added an extra strut to the outriggers as from the box they proved too fragile. I suspect the real machine would have had more than just the hydraulic ram for similar reasons. I have added replacement guns and a nose probe from brass rod and scratched a DF loop. The out rigger doors have been added and apart from the building of a starter rocket for each rotor, a ram jet needs air passing through it at a certain velocity to fire, she is ready for the painting process to begin. I don't normally like gluing models to bases but I think that n this case it will be unavoidable if the model is to be transported.

Martin

101_1790.jpg

101_1791.jpg

This one has had to take a bit of a back seat this week so I can get ready for Telford. However, I did get the canopy masked and glued in place today. It will need a little filling rount the edges which I hope to get done tonight and then we should be able to get some primer on her next week.

Martin

101_1796.jpg

No, detailed design and wind tunnel testing were as far as things got before the war ended but it was far more than a vague idea for a design.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got off my backside today and got the starter rockets for the ram jets scratch built; fiddly little buggers they were too! They would have been necessary to get the rotors spinning fast enought to build up sufficient air pressure for the rams to ignite. I shall now let the primer cure for a day or so before starting to paint her, so I had better make my mind up as to what colour she will be if I am to complete this model by the deadline date.

Martin

101_1811.jpg

101_1812.jpg

101_1813.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Looks nice.

The one I built a few years back had a somewhat unusual scheme. The fuselage below the ramjects was in RLM 81 (the nice chocolate colour) with RLM 82(?) dark green mottle. The wings and forward fuselage were in the same colour but with a light mottle of RLM 76 as a sort of blossom effect. I wanted it to look as though is were camouflaged as a tree. Normal German markings but with over applied RAF ones and an Air Min serial on the tail - the Nazis may have had the tech but they were evil (insert anglo saxon expletive here) and deserved to lose.

I'm wondering about the placement of the booster rockets.

According to two references I have, the rockets were placed in the ramjet housing.

References: " German Jet Genesis " by David Masters.

" Jet Planes of The Third Reich Vol. 2 " by Manfred Griehl, published by Monogram Books.

My reference book, Dragonfly-The Luftwaffe's Experimental Triebflugeljager Project by David Myhra, shown at the start of the thread, indicates that both internal and external boosters were considered for the project, but concludes that external ones were more likely to have been fitted for ease of fitting and servicing. Bit of a bummer really as I really wanted to keep this build as simple as possible and didn't fancy scratching them.They truned out to be really fiddly little things to make as well; three of them took an entire evening . Still, as the real thing was never completed to settle the matter for once and for all all one can do is to go with one's references' considered opinion.

I had thought from the title of my book that Triebflugel meant Dragonfly, but according to my German/English dictionary that is Die Wasserjungfrau or Libelle. It transpires that it is a compound noun meaning "Powered Wing". I checked that it didn't mean rotor but seeing as how that is Die Drehflugel or Tragschraube, I guess, that by process of elimination "Powered Wing" it is.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to finish this build in my vest and pants (anyone else here suffer this punishment from school PE teachers?) I have been getting some paint on the thing and preparing a base for it. I don't normally like fixing models to bases but in this case, if I want to transport it anywhere in safety I will have to make an exception here. Hopefully the next time you see this one she will be finished.

Martin

101_1994.jpg

101_1995.jpg

Well, I'm calling this one done. It was only when I went to put a figure next to the model that I realised how big the aircraft would have been in real life. An argument for putting a figure with a model to give scale to the subject if ever there was one. More pictures in the gallery.

Martin

101_2014.jpg

• Like 1