XV352 - 1977 Red Flag scheme

T0M4ever

I've been out of the game for nearly a year after some really busy months and then moving house :mellow: , but I'm back! I am currently painting my F-14, but one that is done I will crack on with this GB.

I've got the Airfix kit, Heritage Aviation intakes, Paragon seats, Eduard interior and exterior PE and the MA decal sheet.

Does anyone have any photos of a Bucc in this sand/green camo? I've not been able to find any yet, so I might have to just go off the paint scheme on the decal sheet and hope it's right. Also, what stores would it have carried, I think they would have had an AN/ALQ-101 ECM Pod, anything else?

(The scheme can be seen here: http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XV...S2_XV160-2.html )

Edited by T0M4ever

I've been out of the game for nearly a year after some really busy months and then moving house :mellow: , but I'm back! I am currently painting my F-14, but one that is done I will crack on with this GB.

I've got the Airfix kit, Heritage Aviation intakes, Paragon seats, Eduard interior and exterior PE and the MA decal sheet.

Does anyone have any photos of a Bucc in this sand/green camo? I've not been able to find any yet, so I might have to just go off the paint scheme on the decal sheet and hope it's right.

(The scheme can be seen here: http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XV...S2_XV160-2.html )

welcome nice choice

ALQ-101 on the left outer pylon, slipper tank, slipper tank and CBLS 100 on the right outer pylon (Flightpath do a set - see my on going project). If you haven't got it, try and get hold of The Buccaneers-Operational Service with the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force - published by PSL. It has a few photos of Red Flag Bucc's. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Andrew

Howdy Tom - Glad to see you onboard and the choice for your project is great. I have sadly been unable to devote any attention to the GB for the last month or so, but am trying to catch up.

As for you CBLS questions, the answer is yes to both. The profile diagram is of the carrier itself and the color computer rendering is of what goes inside of it with the bombs connected to a pair of them inside the carrier. Flightpath does an excellent set in 1/48 and is exactly what you need. PM me for some refernce pics of this subject. Cheers - Jack

Slightly relevant - just found this Red Flag Buccaneer video - sadly not THE video but pretty awesome anyway

There are some great Bucc videos on Youtube, shame there isn't the one where the American's start cheering them though.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips for the landing gear? The way Airfix have designed them you have to attach the wheel when you join the two halves of the leg together, which will be a massive pain for painting etc.

I'm a bit wary about cutting off the pins for the wheel, as I'm not sure how I can attach the wheel after with a strong enough join to hold the weight of the model.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More questions about XV352, don't know if you can help!

Did it have the RWR pods on the wings at Red Flag?

Just before the airbrake on the tail the finish looks like bare metal, is that right, or is it a shade of grey?

What colour is the inside of the canopy, it looks like a cream. Best Humbrol paint?

Thanks!

Edited by T0M4ever

More questions about XV352, don't know if you can help!

Did it have the RWR pods on the wings at Red Flag?

Thanks!

I am doing this aircraft in 1/72nd and I did stick the RWR bullets on, only to find the paint instructions that I had did not show them. So I found a photo of the aircraft and it did indeed confirm that they were not fitted, so I had to remove them. Hope that this is of some help.

I am doing this aircraft in 1/72nd and I did stick the RWR bullets on, only to find the paint instructions that I had did not show them. So I found a photo of the aircraft and it did indeed confirm that they were not fitted, so I had to remove them. Hope that this is of some help.

Ah, excellent, thanks! Saves me a few minutes of sanding and glueing :D

Is the intake trunking on this one dark grey or white? It's very hard to tell from pictures.

I have had a look at the photos that Mark sent me, and I still can't really make out the colour as it is all in shadow. I have painted mine in the major colour on the outside of each intake. So mine are Stbd Dk Brown, port Sand. This may not be correct but until I can find further information I will leave them like that.

I have had a look at the photos that Mark sent me, and I still can't really make out the colour as it is all in shadow. I have painted mine in the major colour on the outside of each intake. So mine are Stbd Dk Brown, port Sand. This may not be correct but until I can find further information I will leave them like that.

Ok, thanks. I painted mine Humbrol 164, looking at this photo it looks a possibility:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Ha...neer/0370175/L/

• 3 weeks later...