Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More to follow..

Happy Christmas everyone

Nick

Edited by nick, 24 December 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#102 nick

nick

There's always more model than week

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Well I'm declaring her finished and moving to 'Ready for Inspection' Linky

I have some more pictures to take then I will be winching her to her final resting place in the ceiling. Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement.

Posted Image

Nick

Edited by nick, 30 December 2010 - 03:03 PM.

#103 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

Epilogue:

You can't say I don't do what I say I'm going to do

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
An iphone must be about as universal recognisable thing as any internationally to get some scale, so here's how big this bugger is
Posted Image

Attila the hen says 'it looks like a bloody model shop' - like it's a bad thing? wimmin.

Nick

#104 drdave

drdave

Established Member

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

Superb work mate. Stunning!

#105 bentwaters81tfw

bentwaters81tfw

Suffering the effects of too much glue sniffing

• Gold Member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Gonna be a bugger to dust!

Lovely work, wish I had the time, patience and skill........oh, and money.

#106 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

Reprise, the observant amongst you will notice two things:-
1. The hideous blinds have gone (they came with the house, honest, we didn't buy them)
2. So has the triplane, to be replaced by a forlorn coil of steel cable.
Posted Image

The good news is that, during the DR1's 'new curtains/decorating take down', I decided to bite the bullet, give up on Arizona Models ever sending me the wire wheel kit I ordered almost a year ago, thieving cowboy(literally presumably) imbeciles that they are, buy one of these instead:-
Posted Image
and make me some of these:-
Posted Image
Posted Image

quite an interesting little project in it's own right. I had hoped to source some ali tube of about the right diameter and wall thickness to make the rims - no such luck. So I ended up getting a 3"X1/2" billet, cutting a 73mm disk out with a core drill, mounting on a stud and turning it down that way, you can see this in the first picture where I have left the centre in. They are 70mm for those who are interested.

I then had to make a turntable jig for drilling the 40 holes in the hubs accurately, so I used the handy 'polar grid' function in adobe illustrator to give me a circle exactly divided into 40ths, by using this on my turntable and moving my dremel drill press out the required distance from the centre, I was able to index round to drill the hubs out.

I've got some polishing to do on the inside face of the rims, I then need to drill them and start lacing the wheels up with wire spokes. Watch this space!

Nick

Edited by nick, 08 August 2011 - 09:04 AM.

#107 Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming

Completely Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

I decided to bite the bullet, give up on Arizona Models ever sending me the wire wheel kit I ordered almost a year ago, thieving cowboy(literally presumably) imbeciles that they are,

THat is their reputation:

http://www.wwi-model...uly/097979.html

#108 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Steep learning curve was a bit of an understatement. Well at least I've got a thorough grounding on how to use my lathe now.

The turntable I used for the hubs, I decided wasn't proper, so armed with my new pretend engineering 'skills', I desgined an indexing system that fits in the back of my lathe, it sandwiches the adobe illustrator print out I mentioned earlier with the appropriate number of divisions I need between a clear plastic and ali disk, I then mount a dremel drill press on the lathe tool post which lets me accurately and evenly drill the 40 holes I needed for the spokes.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This let me drill the rim and hubs. I found a european spoking pattern of the period and also turned a valve out of brass, here is the result.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I know I'm dangerously straying into the world of model engineering here, and risking banishment from the forum.

If I start talking about steam engines, somebody kill me.

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick, 15 August 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#109 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Need to finish the second wheel now, I'll post some images of the jig I made for lacing later, then I'm done and I'll be winching her back to her final resting place up in the ceiling.

if I hadn't done this in two stages - aircraft first, long break, then the wheels, I doubt I would have ever finished it.

Nick

#110 Rob P

Rob P

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Stunning work there. My gob is well and truly smacked.

#111 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

Here's the jig I was talking about
Posted Image
Basic but functional, also here is my lathe set up for drilling the indexed holes around the rims,
you can just see the indexing disk mounted on the near end of ther lathe and my dremel drill press clapmed to the lathe bed, again crude, but it did the job
Posted Image

And here she is done. Really done this time. She's staying up there now (-:

Posted Image

Regards

Nick

#112 Col.

Col.

Currently obsessed with Hawker Hunters

• Members
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Very nice indeed Nick and well worth the efforts you've put in I'd say. Those wheels are a cracking bit of engineering and suit the rest of the project.

#113 bigbadbadge

bigbadbadge

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Wow, looks bloomin amazing, fantastic work, when are you gonna make your first steam engine then ?

All the best

Chris

#114 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,029,905 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Nice... well worth the extra effort :)

#115 bexwh773

bexwh773

Queen of The Naughty Corner

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

Nick,

Ive never seen anything like this before :yikes: and worth the time and effort? Yes, just a wee bit, although I think you may add to it as something else pops into your head.

Thank you for sharing such an awesome project :thumbsup2:

Bexy

#116 jimbuna

jimbuna

Blabber Mouth

• Members
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

Absolutely tremendous Nick.

#117 Moofles

Moofles

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

wow, now that is intense, has to be one of, if not the best Fokker triplane i have ever seen, well done sir, well done.

#118 nick

nick

• Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys, much appreciated. If anybody ever needs any large scale wire wheels, I know how to make them now (-:

Nick

#119 GaryK

GaryK

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hello, I just wanted to say thank you for posting all your trials and tribulations during your making of the Fokker.

I just received my own Fokker kit this week and look to your posts for inspiration.

Thanks again,

Gary
Texas, USA