Reprise, the observant amongst you will notice two things:-
1. The hideous blinds have gone (they came with the house, honest, we didn't buy them)
2. So has the triplane, to be replaced by a forlorn coil of steel cable.
The good news is that, during the DR1's 'new curtains/decorating take down', I decided to bite the bullet, give up on Arizona Models ever sending me the wire wheel kit I ordered almost a year ago, thieving cowboy(literally presumably) imbeciles that they are, buy one of these instead:-
and make me some of these:-
quite an interesting little project in it's own right. I had hoped to source some ali tube of about the right diameter and wall thickness to make the rims - no such luck. So I ended up getting a 3"X1/2" billet, cutting a 73mm disk out with a core drill, mounting on a stud and turning it down that way, you can see this in the first picture where I have left the centre in. They are 70mm for those who are interested.
I then had to make a turntable jig for drilling the 40 holes in the hubs accurately, so I used the handy 'polar grid' function in adobe illustrator to give me a circle exactly divided into 40ths, by using this on my turntable and moving my dremel drill press out the required distance from the centre, I was able to index round to drill the hubs out.
I've got some polishing to do on the inside face of the rims, I then need to drill them and start lacing the wheels up with wire spokes. Watch this space!
Edited by nick, 08 August 2011 - 09:04 AM.