Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker DR/1 Build

nick

never seen one of these big kits built, looking forward to seeing this come together.

in the stash photos is that the big heller hms victory on the top? like to build one of those some day if i could ever stomach the rigging

The Victory isn't Heller, no. it's yer actual wood (and 2000 copper plates) it's also the most expensive model I ever bought and by Caldercraft/Jokita, here's the link:

Jokita Victory

I'm under no illusions that this will take me 5 to 10 years to complete and it's the ultimate back-burner project that I keep chipping away at. Have a look at the build guide on the link above if you're interested, it's one hell of a kit.

Nick

Edited by nick

One of the things I like about internet modelling is that there ia always something to strive for, to challenge my own skills and to push my imagination and your build is no exception. That said, getting the missus to agree to fitting one to the wall on the landing is probably more remote than my modelling skills getting as good as yours :wacko:

As you say, building the model is the easy part, getting my beloved to agree to hanging it in the house was slightly more difficult than sorting out the Middle East peace process.

Nick

I note the work bench is in a cinder block garage. Got plans for the winter?

It's integral to the house and the boiler is in there so don't worry about me I'll be nice and toasty thanks very much.

Nick

Been busy all week setting up my new projector so no modelling. Had a solid day today though and got the engine finished. Had to use flash so the photos aren't good - the weathering is more subtle than it looks here. Anyways, here's the piccies

5154641427_d53d43e00a_b.jpg

5155248182_3230456644_b.jpg

5154639783_212811a231_b.jpg

5155246766_8011cf852f_b.jpg

5155246022_fb0db74481_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick

Got the fusealge frames cleaned up, assembled and in primer now as well. I'll post some pictures tomorow maybe. This kit kind of reminds me of Pocher a bit, some of it is crude and involves lots of out of scale nuts and bolts. That said, it's a lot better than Pocher in as much as stuff fits, I guess these are really old now and they do make a great base for super detailing.

Nick

Edited by nick

:analintruder:Nice project, Nicky!!! It reminds me of the film Flyboys; perhaps ya've seen it? Starrin' the bloke who's son to the Green Goblin in Spider-Man... :rolleyes:

Nice den, by the way! Or should I call it lair? ;)

5117981481_0f9696223f_o.jpg

Ninja's been already sent in to retrieve that Eduard 1/48th scale Mirage IIICJ kit. Oh, FYI; it's a she-ninja, so, in the event that ya managed to beat her up, ya might as wel negotiate some sorta trade, ya hear? :lol:

Cheers,

Unc²

Very bored with Varnishing now, boy this stuff is porous. Umpeen coats later, prop is finished anyway

5163156941_ea3dbcc071_o.jpg

5163765460_30c8cd975e_b.jpg

Here's the full size

Fertig-2.jpg

Just noticed the logos are inverted compared to the real one, the plan shows them the way I have them. Doh. Glad I scanned the decal sheet now! (which I routinely do through bitter experience). Here is a photo from the manual just to show I'm not making it up!

5163781442_a207db6c1e_o.jpg

Edited by nick

Wow, this is a big sucker. Nick, I think your doing a great job. I love the how the prop turned out. Looks just like the real deal to me. I have been thinking about getting that kit but never seen one build. So, your online build will the closest I'll get to see one and from what I have seen already I think it a winner.:thumbsup: Now, just a quick question is the medium all plastic in this kit?

Also, love the clarity of the photos. Very nice. I know I'll be saving this thread for future reference. :photo: Keep up the good work :thumbsup2:

Mike

Excellent progress so far! I had a similar idea for the landing in my place, except I wanted four 1/24 Stukas diving, something like this...

Thumb.jpg

SWMBO wasn't having any of it though!

I then wanted to hang a 1/72 Zeppilin there, she shot that idea down too!

Edited by Muller

Wow, this is a big sucker. Nick, I think your doing a great job. I love the how the prop turned out. Looks just like the real deal to me. I have been thinking about getting that kit but never seen one build. So, your online build will the closest I'll get to see one and from what I have seen already I think it a winner. :thumbsup: Now, just a quick question is the medium all plastic in this kit?

Also, love the clarity of the photos. Very nice. I know I'll be saving this thread for future reference. :photo: Keep up the good work :thumbsup2:

Mike

Mike,

Hi and thanks for your kind comments. The kit is mixed media, the engine guns, wheels and fuel tank are normal 'model' plastic. The fuselage, tail, ailerons are resin, there is extensive white metal castings, a fair amount of brass and the wings are die cut (not nasty burnt laser cut) very fine birch plywood. There is also spruce and balsa. Strangely, I'm not sure I would recomend it. If you are interested in a model like this, I think the model airways Albatross is generally better (and cheaper)

The engine and guns are entirely white metal in this kit and very nicely done, admittedly it's half the size at 1/16th scale, still very nice though take a look:-

Albatross Linky

Nick

Edited by nick

looking really good so far. are you going to leave all the woodwork exposed, or will you cover some of it?

It's going to be entirely uncovered apart from some curved plywood panels fairing in the curve of the engine firewall to the nose.

I am currently trying to work out how to replicate the many turnbuckles which are very prominent in this aircraft tensioning the interior of the fuselage - any suggestions Bob? :-

Versteifung.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick

You could try looking at model yacht suppliers (http://www.housemartinsails.co.uk/hullfittingsa.html - bottlescrews might be appropriate).

Lifeboats are often 1/12 scale and there may be something of use there as well.

Good luck,

Mike

I didn't know lifeboats were 1/12 scale? it's no wonder so many of the buggers drowned on the titanic then. :analintruder:

Sorry it's a form of Tourettes, I can't help myself.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the website.

Nick

Got one of the Spandaus finished today, quite pleased with it. I have been experimenting with metallic rattle cans and saving a fortune on Alclad (I've got a lot of surface to cover with this puppy after all). This one is called something like graphite - looks like gunmetal to me with a bit of coaxing and dry-brushing?

5172255537_1be7a0268c_o.jpg

5172255927_d9f6f7b37a_o.jpg

5172256389_843fb61b2f_o.jpg

Also did some work on the fin and Elavators

5172256857_831ecb0343_o.jpg

5172257301_39505f5646_o.jpg

I don't really understand why, but all of the 'tubular steel' structure on this kit is made from resin not plastic.

Also had a go at a prototype turnbuckle, don't know if I have the will to make as many of these as I will need

5172862048_ae22c1472b_o.jpg

They are quite small as you can see

5172862426_4f671499f6_o.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick