RAF Colours and Tamiya Paint

pickers7

I have tried a few different types of paint now and have decided that Tamiya acrylics are my favourite. However they don't seem to match RAF and RN colours particularly well from what i can gather. Do any of you have any mixing formulas for the main RAF and RN colours (WWII onwards) using Tamiya paint or are you aware of anywhere I can get hold of these? Any help would be much appreciated. many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies guys but Presumably looking at them they are enamel paints - ideally I was after acrylic - hence the Tamiya

Try xtracrylix from Hannants ..I'm pretty sure some of the oline traders here stock them

Or you could Try MILITARY-PRECSION

A guy could Lee runs it Very fast service

Edited by seanrgb

Xtracrylix are nice paints, and they have a good broad range. You'll find that they don't have the occasional paint though, so you will have to choose another range sometimes. For example, I've just bought a bunch of WEM enamel paints because they're specific shades that aren't available via my chosen range Xtracrylix.

Useful listing from Modeldad over @Hyperscale. HTH

LUFTWAFFE

RLM 02--> XF22:1 + XF49:1 or just XF-22

RLM 65--> XF23:1 + XF2:1

RLM 71--> XF62:1 + XF49:1

RLM 74--> XF24:3 + XF27:2

RLM 75--> XF24:5 + XF50:1

RLM 76--> XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2

RLM 79--> XF59:3 + XF64:1

RLM 80--> XF58

RLM 81--> XF51:1 + XF64:2

RLM 82--> XF5 or XF5:1 + XF2:1 or XF5:1 +XF3:1 (Bright Green)

RLM 83--> XF61 or XF24:1 + XF51:1 or XF24:1 +XF51:1 (Dark Green)

RAF:

INTERIOR GREEN---> XF5:1 + XF21:3 + XF65:1

DARK GREEN--> XF58:1 + XF62:5

DARK EARTH--> XF52:1 + XF64:1

OCEAN GRAY--> XF18:1 + XF21:2 + XF24:2

MIDSTONE------> XF59:1 + XF60:1

SKY----------------> XF21

MED. SEA GRAY--> XF19:3 + XF54:5

AZURE BLUE---> X16:2 + XF2:10 + XF18:5

FAA COLORS

Extra Dark Sea Grey: To 50 parts of XF24 (dark grey), add 6 parts XF2 (white), and 3 parts XF8 (flat blue).

Dark Slate Grey: To one bottle of XF22 (RLM Grey), add 35 drops of XF7 (red), and 125 drops of XF1 (flat black).

"RLM Grey" (XF-22) is a good match for "Slate Grey", used for RAF Coastal Command finishes, as well as Fleet Air Arm colors.

"Dark Sea Grey" (XF-54) is a good match for "Dark Sea Grey," used for Coastal Command and FAA camouflages. This is also good for the US "Equivalent Color" for "Ocean Grey" ANA 603, used on Mustang IIIs, etc.

'"RLM Gray" (XF-22) for "Slate Grey"

“Light Sea Grey” (XF-25) for "Light Sea Grey"

"Sky" (XF-21) - I think this is the most accurate version of this color.

"Sky Grey" (XF-19) is perfect for the "Sky Grey" color used on FAA aircraft before they went with the "Sky" lower surfaces, also for the US "Equivalent Color" used for ANA 602

"Medium Grey" (XF-20) is good as "Sea Grey Medium," the lower surface camouflage for RAF aircraft after 1941.