Shortland S-55 APC ?

A.C.Acikgoz

• 2 months later...

The correct spelling is "Shorland" - a corruption of "Shorts" and "Land Rover". These vehicles were made by Shorts in Belfast, but production stopped many years ago before Shorts were split up and taken over by Bombardier and Thales. That will be why you can't find anything on the web now. Apart from the original Shorland armoured car with the Ferret turret, and its original APC derivative, they were not good sellers. The second-generation square-fronted versions like the S55 in your picture hardly sold at all. Even the RUC on Shorts' own doorstep preferred the Hotspur and the Army went for the Snatch from Glover Webb.

I did have some blurb from Shorts on the S50-series years ago and did get hold of or make up make up some scale drawings for the original Shorland. I'll have a rummage around and see if I can turn them up.

Sorry, I didn't notice that this thread originated in Turkey. Didn't Otokar copy the S55 under their own name with detail differences for the Turkish military and paramilitary forces? Otokar certainly produced very similar vehicles and I don't believe they were licenced from Shorts, although their Land Rovers were officially licensed.

• 7 months later...