Harriers to go in defence review

ScottC

Just heard from a friend that the Station Commander at Cottesmore has announced over the station tannoy that all non essential flying is to cease and Cottermore and Wittering are to close !!!

Bye Bye Harrier :(

Scott C

The closure sounds like it'll be the same across every station - just for this afternoon. There's a briefing on all stations this afternoon about SDSR & its implications which I believe all personnel are attending, so the stations will be closed to flying as the ATC staff will be there too at a guess.

The flying-cease will be for flight-safety reasons - with the impending announcement of bad news for the RAF and potential job-losses across the piece, a decision will have been made to cease flying for the day so they remove the risk of people being distracted from safety-critical tasks like pre-flight prep, engineering or flying by worries about their future.

Lunacy...

Still, think of how much more ring fenced money for plowing into the EU sinkhole, sending abroad and educating immigrant kids the "Government" will be able to earmark as a result of slicing up our Armed Forces..

But then, most people shrug it off and go back to watching X-Factor....

Sorry. Politiks. :tapedshut:

The cut backs have already started. I've got 5 weeks left and that's me out, we (some 500 RAF) were told at the end of May (6 months notice).

Its the same at Odiham, 15.30 a briefing for ALL personnel.

Lunacy...

Still, think of how much more ring fenced money for plowing into the EU sinkhole, sending abroad and educating immigrant kids the "Government" will be able to earmark as a result of slicing up our Armed Forces..

But then, most people shrug it off and go back to watching X-Factor....

Sorry. Politiks. :tapedshut:

Actually, I think you may be suprised just how many people will share and support your view yesik7.gif

I did have this image of French Rafales landing on the carriers (or at least the one that won't be sold), but then how long would it be before the French pilots went on strike and blockaded the flightdeck?

Sad day indeed :(

BBC News just reported that the Nimrod MRA4's have been canned and Kinloss will close.

The statement isn't being made until 3:30. Until then all "reporting" is speculation. I'm not saying they're wrong, mind; just that there's no certainty.

Incidentally, the Parliament website is illustrating* the announcement with a rather nice picture of an M551, of all things.

* why?

It's f*****g heartbreaking & makes me so angry that the service I love has/is being cut to the bone! The tw@ts in the previous government should be f****g shot for treason!!

While I think there is no one here who would disagree with you; I think it's a case of think it, don't say it; as it's sailing too close to the wind and the topic might get locked down. (political)

Lets hope they do not chuck the baby out with the bath water.

Dick :clown:

It's f*****g heartbreaking & makes me so angry that the service I love has/is being cut to the bone! The tw@ts in the previous government should be f****g shot for treason!!

Along with the bankers.....

I feel exactly the same as you Spike, dreadful, isn't it......

Hmm, surely we could keep the Harriers AND have JSF if the MP's got half their wages and the bankers got 10% of theirs (and both were banned from bonuses for 10 years!).. now that's my idea of public cutbacks :):evil_laugh:

I have the strong desire to dig out a lot of the Harriers in the stash and do a commemorative lineup now; probably been done already but it's something I've been putting off for years.

While I think there is no one here who would disagree with you

Er, not so. I profoundly disagree with the current mob over whether we need to cut spending, how much we need to cut, and what should be cut. Because of that I don't think it's possible glibly to blame the other lot as thought this lot were doing the only possible thing. Nor do I think it's right to say that every problem we're experiencing is entirely and only attributable to the last lot and not, say, the global financial services industry, or their customers.

Nor do I think it's right to say that every problem we're experiencing is entirely and only attributable to the last lot and not, say, the global financial services industry, or their customers.

I agree.. But the bankers seem to be almost untouchable in this whole mess, despite the promise of levies and taxes on them..