XB-70

GRIM REAPER

Here are a couple of pics of my XB-70. Having cleared up the past issue of build completion to be eligable, I got the go ahead

to start a thread on it. So, here is my entry.

019-8.jpg

018-10.jpg

020-7.jpg

It's been a major headache so far, but I never give up on a kit, no matter how horrible it is. This one sure has fought me every step of the way. There is a crack in the lower wing that I have to fix. The model is being rescribed. So far, I have used a tube of putty and a full jar of Mr. Surfacer on it and I'm still not done. I'll try to get some more pics up later. Thank you for reading and happy modelling!

RYAN.

Edited by GRIM REAPER

Small update with a major milestone. Major sub assemblies are now glued together. I think that this model is jinxed. I managed to break one of my heavy duty clamps while holding the parts together. Here are some recent pics of the Valkyrie.

051-2.jpg

047-2.jpg

050-2.jpg

048-2.jpg

052-2.jpg

That is the 1/48 PBY-5A Catalina wing to give some sense of scale.

055-2.jpg

RYAN.

Edited by GRIM REAPER

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with this Ryan coming along nicely...I built one last year for the USAF sig, certainly a filler monster, I ended up bracing the thing all over the place but it was worth the fight in the end!!,

If your interested my build report is here,

Valkyrie build

And finished job here, just hope it helps in some way,

Finished Valkyrie

Cheers, :cheers:

Andy

General, your build gave me the inspiration to start on mine. Actually, it is one of the reasons I joined Britmodeller. I have just one question, though. How did you manage to get the clear pieces faired in so perfectly?

RYAN.

Ryan, sorry for delay in answering, bit busy getting stuff finished for Telford :deadhorse: ...great to hear that my build inspired you, that's the point of doing this stuff!, as for the glazing, I used Mr Hobby liquid putty, Tamiya tape, (6 mm), applied right up close to the seams and of course into the framing and Micro Mesh (8000, 10,000 and 13,000) wrapped around cocktail sticks, (plus of course lots of water). Patience really is a virtue here, just take your time!. If you're coming along to Telford then please pop along to the USAF sig table where I hope to have the Valkyrie on display as part of the nuclear alert theme,

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie...

One thing I've been wondering...how did the Valkyrie drop it's bombs?

According to Dennis jenkins Valkyrie book (Ch 8): It had two longitudinal-sliding bomb bay doors that slid aft to expose the two-part bomb bay. Although the actual weapons bay was about 30ft long, only 14ft at a time could be exposed due to the working of the two sliding doors, which meant only weapons up to 13ft long could be carried as designed!

The idea was that free-fall finned bombs or stand-off missiles could be carried, and they would be dropped by trapeze or gravity release directly into the supersonic airflow.

A 10,000lb bomb dropped at Mach 3 from 70,000ft would have had an awfully long range!

If you're coming along to Telford then please pop along to the USAF sig table where I hope to have the Valkyrie on display as part of the nuclear alert theme

Sorry to say that I live in a hick redneck town in the US of A. But, please do post some pics for me as I'm interested in anything Cold War.

RYAN.