North American X-15A-2

Alan P

Very glad to be joining you with this little 1/72 gem.

Nice kit, also using the two definitive tomes on this subject - Jenkins & Landis' "Hypersonic" and "The X-15 Photo Scrapbook"

IMAG0237

Some very nicely reproduced plastic, with very good surface detail:

IMAG0238 IMAG0239

Also contains resin parts for the cockpit and ground handling dolly:

IMAG0242

And a very nice pre-printed PE fret complete with Remove Before Flight flags:

IMAG0240

Decals include all the relevant stencils for the standard black metal finish, and also the limited black stencils for the all-white record-breaking flight with ablative paint:

IMAG0241

Somewhat unusually for me, it will be a bare-metal finish in black! Just waiting for my paint to get here from Korea... :whistle: Hopefully get a chance to stretch the old skills a bit.

This is intended to eventually form part of a ground diorama prior to loading the X-15 on the NB-52A. But that's another story!!!!

Al

I don't think the white scheme is featureless at all - quite a few access panels were taped before the ablative paint was applied so the panel lines do show quite prominently, also was there considerable wear and charring after each flight.

I built mine as if before the final, and record setting flight (ok, it's 1:48, but still...):

IMG_2700a.jpg

IMG_2718a.jpg

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I just needed to hold the flag up for the white version...

Jeffrey

(and also please excuse the bad photos - I took them about two years ago, before I started to understand model photography)

I'm looking forward to eventually seeing the full diorama, Al - that would be magnificent! An NB-52A + X-15 is on my list as well, however in 1:48...Once Sanger releases his kit (and I have a bigger house).

I built a Monogram X-15A2 once in the all-white scheme - it just doesn't look right. Just too featureless - there's hardly any markings either. Glad to see the black finish - visually it just makes for a more interesting model.
Edited by JeffreyK

This should be interesting :). ive just got my B52D for conversion and my x15 is waiting for the references :popcorn:

I thought you were going to convert it to a B-52A? Still, either conversion should be good to see. :thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Long time to get started, but here we go!

Got the cockpit done, it's a very nice resin/PE combination and looks stunning compared to the IM parts in the kit.

IMAG0300 IMAG0302

The ejector seat is really nice, probably the best thing I've managed in 1/72 (not a familiar scale for me!)

IMAG0306

IMAG0307 IMAG0309

All painted according to refs from the Hypersonic book - there is a very useful three-view colour photo of a 1967-era ejector seat which is ideal for me.

More soon - hoping to get the main assembly done before the weekend!

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this build is plodding along - it's sub-zero in my shed at the moment so this is as far as I've got, pending paint...

Major assembly complete - it fit together very nicely, with most seams eliminated by liquid poly and a dab of Tamiya putty:

IMAG0338

Alignment of the flying surfaces was tricky due to very small locator tabs on the main wings and simple butt joints for the stabs. I had to do a bit of filing and sanding to get the butt joints angled correctly:

IMAG0339

And here's where it stands until I can spray again - lacquer paints and indoors don't mix very well!

IMAG0340

It looks quick just sitting there unpainted!

Paint on:

IMAG0472 IMAG0473

Gunze Sangyo Mr Metal Color Dark Iron, brushed on and buffed up.

IMAG0480

Decals went on without any hassle at all.

IMAG0481 IMAG0482

Finishing touches:

DSCN3640

Tanks finished in Bare-Metal foil with Vallejo Fluorescent Red

DSCN3643

Really happy with this!

DSCN3644 DSCN3646

Really special little kit and a pleasure to build.

DSCN3647

Cheers,

Al