AMT XB-35 Flying Wing

Shar2

Ambitious project and a good subject there!

Just noticed the box label - what exactly was the difference between the XB and YB-35?

Just curious :shrug:

Al

The XB-35 had contra-props with quite pointed blades, whereas the YB-35 had broad, flat standard props. Can't see any other differences when haveing a cursory look at the instructions and parts

I've not seen one of these built before, so I'm interested... it's a bit worry that the mid-section of the wing is almost too big for your "building table" - if that's it?

why are we drawn to these kits that are ridiculously large and awkward to display? :hmmm:

I've not seen one of these built before, so I'm interested... it's a bit worry that the mid-section of the wing is almost too big for your "building table" - if that's it?

why are we drawn to these kits that are ridiculously large and awkward to display? :hmmm:

It's a cry for help.

In my case a cry for beer.

The XB-35 had contra-props with quite pointed blades, whereas the YB-35 had broad, flat standard props. Can't see any other differences when haveing a cursory look at the instructions and parts

No, that's pretty much it as far as modelling is concerned.

If you need any references, I've got a couple of books with many piccies, and a Pilot's Manual for the B-49 with lots of cockpit photos (the cockpits are pretty much identical at 1/72).

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Thanks for the offer Obi-Jiff, any cockpit shots would be most helpfull.

Mike, I know it's a bit big for the cutting/modelling block, but then I've got the whole coffee table to use as well and the dining table is the paint area, (the joys of living alone). I've wanted to do this for a while and it does mean a big space in the stash for more kits. :thumbsup: The trouble is I've got too many large aircraft kits which will slowly, but surely sold off, so I can concentrate on maritime and AFV's.

Edited by Shar2

I'll have a look tonight, and I'll probably scan them tomorrow, while Mrs Obi-Jiff is watching Holby.

Thanks. I've got loads of pics of the airframe. Oh! if you have any of the undercarriage bays that would be of help too. :thumbsup2:

I'll see what I can find.

Incidentally, if you like big flying wings and you have a spare tenner, this is well worth a punt: The Wing Will Fly

Thanks, will get that ordered as I have the YB-49 and B-2 in the stash that won't be sold off.

At least it's all span - it'll fit comfortably on a fairly normal shelf without bits hanging out to catch the unwary. And if you leave the wheels off, you can use it to stun kangaroos too.

Haven't been able to do much due to major back pain. I've managed to get the outer wing panels fitted and will start on the cockpit painting later today.

IMG_2174.jpg

The XB-35 is a nice kit. I built one back when they first came out, and it's one of the oldest builds I've still got. The only major problem I recall is the fit of the leading edges, which needed considerable filling.

Peter

I've put a few scanned pictures up on Photobucket which may be of use. They're mostly flight deck shots, I couldn't find anything of the wheel wells. There's a mixture of B-35 and B-49, but the essentials are the same.

Flying Wings on Photobucket

Thanks for those Obi-Jiff, will come in handy. I'm thinking of painting the insides Interior green so as to break up the almost solid use of aluminium.

The only major problem I recall is the fit of the leading edges, which needed considerable filling.

Peter

From trial fits, they don't seem to be a problem, unlike the wing to centre body joins which look like they could cause a bit of hassle.

Great, thanks Obi. I've been signed off work for 2 weeks due to my mistake back so, hopefully, I'll be able to give this project my full attention.

Perhaps there's something in that: I'm a bit of a flying wing fan, and I have a bad back. I know one or two others who like the wings, and they suffer with their backs too. Spooky, eh?

Hope yours improves soon.

Perhaps there's something in that: I'm a bit of a flying wing fan, and I have a bad back. I know one or two others who like the wings, and they suffer with their backs too. Spooky, eh?

It's probably from lifting the box down to have a look in it every week ;)

Get well soon boys :)