Condor 1/48 Heinkel He 178

The Velociweiler

Second of the models I actually picked up some years ago, but the box is beginning to look like an unloved refugee so it's time to put it out of its misery. The reverse of the box has some nice colour drawings in surrogate for detail photos, nice touch....

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

The second picture shows a very nice etch fret (which I'm not going to unpick from the bag until it's needed - better photos to come, therefore...) and a film insert for the instruments.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat different in shape and concept to the 280, and I suppose the Whittle, here is the progress so far in this kit.

100_0840.jpg

100_0839.jpg

The cockpit as seen here fairly looks entirely featureless - even allowing for my photography. The Pilots enclosure is fairly spartan on the real thing and I haven't really got started looking thru the etch set for the detail - so whilst I don't think there's a huge amount to add in this area, the instrument panel looks like it will be a perfectly decent representation, and naturally with a pilot within the cockpit, there isn't going to be a huge amount that can be seen in any case.

This kit is far cruder than the Eduard 280 - to be fair, Condor don't seem to aspire to the same style of attainment as Eduard so I won't go into unfair comparisons. The breakdown reminds me faintly of early Frog kits in quality, rather like, say, the Skua, or the Proctor. The mating wing halves need moulding pips taken off the inner faces before joining and the trailing edges will need some attention - the fit at all edges is indifferent, and once joined, the mouldings are thick - again - as per the 280 this is a strictly from-the-box build so I'm not going to take the wings to a belt sander to put an edge on the after surface, but in all honesty, the separate wing halves are so thick I would surmise that Condor could have got away with producing this part as a single surface item with a superior result.

• 2 months later...

100_0963.jpg

100_0966.jpg

100_0965.jpg

100_0964.jpg

Here's the assembly a little before final pre-priming attention. The cockpit coaming and instrument panel will be added prior to final assembly after painting. Whilst the etch fret gives a small amount of interior detail, the Tamiya Pilot here fills the space to a degree that the detail will remain invisible in perpituity - so I didn't use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Final painting and finishing now complete. Some images of the aircraft indicate a small legend 'HEINKEL' below the pilot's enclosure so I added that with thanks to Modeldecal lettering - the kit does not provide decals. (At least, mine didn't and I didn't see any evidence they were provided on the instruction sheet.) I'm guessing the original airframe was effectively nude of markings due to the nature of its existence - the first flights in 1938 were a closely-guarded secret which assisted in history assigning the first Jet flights to Gloster's E28\39.

100_0983.jpg

Well, I'm declaring on these two early German Jets. Managed to get them both finished yesterday afternoon so I've just managed to sneak in at the end of the GB.

Whilst I've been looking forward to building them, the builds weren't particularly inspirational for me. The funny thing is, that once they were complete and mounted on the stand, as a pairing they look quite attractive together. Wish I'd put a bit more work into them now.