aircraft hangars

modelmaker

I wonder if anyone has pictures or could point me in the direction of info regarding WW2 aircraft hangars? my Dad has a hankering to do a bit of DIY card building and fancies making a diorama. he has in mind a type he describes as being akin to a 'giant nissen hut' as used widely during the war. if anyone can help I/we would be most grateful..thanks in advance JD

Edited by modelmaker

It's hangars. Hangers are for shirts. The idiosynchratic author of Aeroplane, C G Grey, used to insist they were sheds, for hangar was one of these unacceptable French words.

I don't know a single reference, but the Action Stations series each had an introduction dealing with airfield buildings, and most types were covered there. There was a small example with a curved roof, perhaps capable of housing a single fighter, which would be readily modellable, but I forget the name.

"British Military Airfield Architecture" by Paul Francis is a good starting point...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Military-A...s/dp/185260462X

EDIT: I didn't see Dambuster's post prior to writing, good to see he thinks the same. And I don't really think you need to spend £162.95 to see a copy (I surely spent a lot less for mine!), your dad should be able to order a copy to borrow from your local library, or just shop around a bit.

Edited by Super Aereo

The RAF Museum library holds dozens of drawings of airfield buildings, including blister hangars, "J" sheds, "K" sheds, and others; you have to wade through their ledgers, to find them, and I have no idea of their quality, or usefulness.

Edgar

I wonder if anyone has pictures or could point me in the direction of info regarding WW2 aircraft hangars? my Dad has a hankering to do a bit of DIY card building and fancies making a diorama. he has in mind a type he describes as being akin to a 'giant nissen hut' as used widely during the war. if anyone can help I/we would be most grateful..thanks in advance JD

proof that doing things late at night is potentially dangerous is my spelling HANGER and not HANGAR! so sorry and thanks for everyone spoyying it. so embarrassed! thanks JD, and thanks for advice/info

While hanging around reading the posts, I had a hankering to write a response to your hangar/hanger situation.

But alas I had hung up my glasses on their hanger and put my mouse into its hangar, so couldn't reply :whistle:

p.s. real nice lookinng P-38 ya got there :goodjob: