aircraft hangars

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 modelmaker

modelmaker

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

I wonder if anyone has pictures or could point me in the direction of info regarding WW2 aircraft hangars? my Dad has a hankering to do a bit of DIY card building and fancies making a diorama. he has in mind a type he describes as being akin to a 'giant nissen hut' as used widely during the war. if anyone can help I/we would be most grateful..thanks in advance JD

Edited by modelmaker, 29 January 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#2 Test Graham

Test Graham

Completely Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

It's hangars. Hangers are for shirts. The idiosynchratic author of Aeroplane, C G Grey, used to insist they were sheds, for hangar was one of these unacceptable French words.

I don't know a single reference, but the Action Stations series each had an introduction dealing with airfield buildings, and most types were covered there. There was a small example with a curved roof, perhaps capable of housing a single fighter, which would be readily modellable, but I forget the name.

#3 Ratch

Ratch

Bashing kits together

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Blister hangars. Sheds are for airships.

#4 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

You need the book 'British Military Airfield Architecture' by Paul Francis, published by PSL, first published in 1996.

Peter

#5 Max Headroom

Max Headroom

Have you seen my mojo?

• Gold Member
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I would suggest a visit to the Key Publishing forum. FlyPast is big on all aspects of aviation including architecture.

Trevor

#6 Mark M

Mark M

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

i know it may sound silly but still fo the film battle of britain, filmed at duxford

#7 Super Aereo

Super Aereo

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

"British Military Airfield Architecture" by Paul Francis is a good starting point...

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/185260462X

EDIT: I didn't see Dambuster's post prior to writing, good to see he thinks the same. And I don't really think you need to spend 162.95 to see a copy (I surely spent a lot less for mine!), your dad should be able to order a copy to borrow from your local library, or just shop around a bit.

Edited by Super Aereo, 01 October 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#8 Edgar

Edgar

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

The RAF Museum library holds dozens of drawings of airfield buildings, including blister hangars, "J" sheds, "K" sheds, and others; you have to wade through their ledgers, to find them, and I have no idea of their quality, or usefulness.
Edgar

#9 modelmaker

modelmaker

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I wonder if anyone has pictures or could point me in the direction of info regarding WW2 aircraft hangars? my Dad has a hankering to do a bit of DIY card building and fancies making a diorama. he has in mind a type he describes as being akin to a 'giant nissen hut' as used widely during the war. if anyone can help I/we would be most grateful..thanks in advance JD

proof that doing things late at night is potentially dangerous is my spelling HANGER and not HANGAR! so sorry and thanks for everyone spoyying it. so embarrassed! thanks JD, and thanks for advice/info

#10 kspriss

kspriss

V-Bomber, F4 and Canberra Anorak

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

"do i need a hangar for my new airplane?'
.."well, it would lose its shape hanging on a nail!"

with acknowledgements to Messrs Bentine, Sellers, Secombe and Milligan

#11 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

You could try here for pictures;

http://www.airfieldi...field-Buildings

Hope it's ok to post link?

#12 modelmaker

modelmaker

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

excellent thank you

#13 Prop Duster

Prop Duster

Established Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:04 AM

While hanging around reading the posts, I had a hankering to write a response to your hangar/hanger situation.

But alas I had hung up my glasses on their hanger and put my mouse into its hangar, so couldn't reply :whistle:

p.s. real nice lookinng P-38 ya got there :goodjob: