Airfix DH88 Comet

Madmonk

Does anyone know the release date for this, it is on the Airfix site but no stock as yet.

Also does it just have decals for "Black Magic" or can you build "Grosvner House" as well.

A friend of my dads ran a hotel in Leigh, Lancs with a scale replica of Grosvner House in the car park, always liked the plane. Don't know if it is still there.

Edited by Madmonk

Does anyone know the release date for this, it is on the Airfix site but no stock as yet.

in 1/144?

It's on my search-list in 1/144

Edited by Micha

Is that the DH Comet you want in 1/144, Micha? This is the DH 88 Comet Racer from the 1930s.

In 1/144, I'd expect it to be the DH 106 Comet airliner of 1949 that you'd want.

yes, sure. Sorry, my fault :(

do you know where to buy such an DH Comet Airliner in 1/144?

They don't run online credit card ordering, you phone, fax or e-mail them as explained here.

yes, I've read this page. Thank you.

btw ... the german translation of this page should be removed or revised ;)

um ... no, thanks ... that's too insecure to me. Will have a look on other online-shops.

sorry for hijacking this DH88 thread.

Edited by Micha

Hi Micha, Welsh Models are available from Hannants, amongst other places. HTH.

Back to the DH88, when I saw the box-art on the Airfix Tribute Forum, it appeared to only have the Black Magic markings. The new-style Airfix boxart has small profiles of the options next to the main art, and the image shown only had the profile for Black Magic. Of course, this may be subject to change - some of the Airfix boxart released in advance of the kit has turned out to be different to the actual released version.

Hi Micha, Welsh Models are available from Hannants, amongst other places. HTH.

Back to the DH88, when I saw the box-art on the Airfix Tribute Forum, it appeared to only have the Black Magic markings. The new-style Airfix boxart has small profiles of the options next to the main art, and the image shown only had the profile for Black Magic. Of course, this may be subject to change - some of the Airfix boxart released in advance of the kit has turned out to be different to the actual released version.

Is this a new tooling? Haven't Airfix already got a DH88 from many moons ago?

Any poss of a 1/48 version?

Is this a new tooling? Haven't Airfix already got a DH88 from many moons ago?

Any poss of a 1/48 version?

No, straight re-issue of the old kit apparently. Which is okay, but not great, and very very old.

I'd love a new injection plastic DH88 in any scale, but 1/48 to go with my Tamiya Mosquito would be superb.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Looking forward to this. I'm not too worried what the scheme is, I want to finish it as G-ACSS in the pale blue scheme she wore in 1938 as Australia Anniversary, when Clouston & Ricketts brought her across the Tasman to Blenheim, Omaka airfield where they hold the biannual Classic Wings airshow. Whirlybird did a decal/cockpit set for the similar scheme she wore previous to that.

Steve.

I have one of these...built in red as grosvenor house

how many different markings/colours were there?

Oh, lots.

There were 5 machines built, 3 of which were entered in the MacRobertson race (Grosvenor House, Black Magic, and the unofficially named green 'un). They wore a variety of colour schemes afterward, too. I have a book written by a subsequent owner of G-ACSS, and it has some interesting photos (all b&w) of later schemes worn by this one, including RAF markings and serial.

Talking about the DH88, how does the airfix one compare against the Frog offering? I built one of these years ago and found it quite inaccurate to my eyes, is the airfix better ? If so I wouldn't mind buying the airfix box and add Black Magic to the collection. The DH88 is such a good looking machine !

Oh, lots.

There were 5 machines built, 3 of which were entered in the MacRobertson race (Grosvenor House, Black Magic, and the unofficially named green 'un). They wore a variety of colour schemes afterward, too. I have a book written by a subsequent owner of G-ACSS, and it has some interesting photos (all b&w) of later schemes worn by this one, including RAF markings and serial.

mmm....might be worth getting a few more kits then, if there are decals available