Model Aviation World To Cease Publication...

Spence

As for your first point I have to say just don't understand those who go on about "nit picking", "negative" etc. Just give people the facts, warts and all and they can then make an informed decision. I like to know what's wrong with a kit. Whether I correct it or not is another matter, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but it's good to have all the info at hand.

Is it all part of our dumbed down society that we can only give positives and praise and ignore the faults?

I was playing devil's advocate, but in respect of Mike's request I'll leave it at that.

Guys, I have no desire to make this topic run and run but I simply had to jump back in here with a few more thoughts....................

Before I start let me make it quite clear that (1) I have grown to really like MAW, (2) I offer these comments entirely as 'Personal Thoughts' or IMHO thoughts and (3) no Editors were ravaged in the making of this post..!

I have just got home with the MAW last issue; the 'Battle of Britain' special. Ok, I know it's a special and an attempt has been made to cram in as much as possible that is relevant to all sides of the Battle and so the 'usual content' is suspended for a month but I have to say it's a bloody good issue, well laid out, well written, some lengthy articles, some shorter, some older models, some newer ones, and still kit reviews (or 'looks at' to be fair), with some decal reviews and stuff. All-in-all, I'm very satisfied with it.

So, why oh why stop it's production??

Something else I've just read: Spence's editorial notes at the front state that the new mag will be "84 pages in length and have a 50/50 split in content" (armour v's aircraft).

So, how does that work? The mag I'm holding purely on aircraft is 66 pages long. 84 - 66 equals 18. Half of 84 is 42. So, tell me how I am going to benefit from a 50/50 split? My (now) 66 pages is going to be around 42 - that's a reduction of 36% in aircraft reading compared to the mag I'm holding now. (Don't blame me, it's the calculator I'm using)

Sorry to get all numbery but the 'hype' that's written up dosn't 'gel' with me. The hard facts are quite simple: the mag is going to be 84 pages long. At 50/50 that means that my aircraft reading has gone down from 66 to 42 pages, and I've collected 42 pages of stuff that dosn't interest me along the way.

And, just as another aside, that bit about I can now have "double the content" - I don't want double the content as I have no interest in the other 50% that it has been combined with...Doh!

As for the "saving money" aspect I will be saving a lot more than half as I won't be buying it.....least not as a regular subscrition or a save at WHS. I can't afford to collect a mag that isn't what I really want.

However, if want I read is correct and a number of serious modelers do not continue, there is a fantastic opportunity for me to collect every one..! Remember the 'new but last months issue' magazine market stall I was telling you about a couple of days ago where you can buy the 'overs' off the shelf for .60 p each - brand new and untouched - well, I for one can't wait....!

Now, which 'bean counter' within the publishing organisation worked out that all of this change is progress...?

Having read Spence's notes again, I can't help feeling that his "I am not just a bit disappointed that it will not continue in it's present form" is an understatement. I am damn gutted and I'm just a reader..!

The paper is perfect, the print font is perfect, the density of the text is easily readable (by that I mean the darkness of it - look at other mags, they are so feint and small - damn difficult to read in the smallest room under artificial light whilst ......) the photography is perfect, the colours are perfect, the layout is perfect.........again, what a crying shame.

What am I going to read now....?

See you at Telford Spence and Alan. The beers are on me for a cracking job well done..!

Guys, I have no desire to make this topic run and run but I simply had to jump back in here with a few more thoughts....................

Before I start let me make it quite clear that (1) I have grown to really like MAW, (2) I offer these comments entirely as 'Personal Thoughts' or IMHO thoughts and (3) no Editors were ravaged in the making of this post..!

I have just got home with the MAW last issue; the 'Battle of Britain' special. Ok, I know it's a special and an attempt has been made to cram in as much as possible that is relevant to all sides of the Battle and so the 'usual content' is suspended for a month but I have to say it's a bloody good issue, well laid out, well written, some lengthy articles, some shorter, some older models, some newer ones, and still kit reviews (or 'looks at' to be fair), with some decal reviews and stuff. All-in-all, I'm very satisfied with it.

So, why oh why stop it's production??

Something else I've just read: Spence's editorial notes at the front state that the new mag will be "84 pages in length and have a 50/50 split in content" (armour v's aircraft).

So, how does that work? The mag I'm holding purely on aircraft is 66 pages long. 84 - 66 equals 18. Half of 84 is 42. So, tell me how I am going to benefit from a 50/50 split? My (now) 66 pages is going to be around 42 - that's a reduction of 36% in aircraft reading compared to the mag I'm holding now. (Don't blame me, it's the calculator I'm using)

Sorry to get all numbery but the 'hype' that's written up dosn't 'gel' with me. The hard facts are quite simple: the mag is going to be 84 pages long. At 50/50 that means that my aircraft reading has gone down from 66 to 42 pages, and I've collected 42 pages of stuff that dosn't interest me along the way.

And, just as another aside, that bit about I can now have "double the content" - I don't want double the content as I have no interest in the other 50% that it has been combined with...Doh!

As for the "saving money" aspect I will be saving a lot more than half as I won't be buying it.....least not as a regular subscrition or a save at WHS. I can't afford to collect a mag that isn't what I really want.

However, if want I read is correct and a number of serious modelers do not continue, there is a fantastic opportunity for me to collect every one..! Remember the 'new but last months issue' magazine market stall I was telling you about a couple of days ago where you can buy the 'overs' off the shelf for .60 p each - brand new and untouched - well, I for one can't wait....!

Now, which 'bean counter' within the publishing organisation worked out that all of this change is progress...?

Having read Spence's notes again, I can't help feeling that his "I am not just a bit disappointed that it will not continue in it's present form" is an understatement. I am damn gutted and I'm just a reader..!

The paper is perfect, the print font is perfect, the density of the text is easily readable (by that I mean the darkness of it - look at other mags, they are so feint and small - damn difficult to read in the smallest room under artificial light whilst ......) the photography is perfect, the colours are perfect, the layout is perfect.........again, what a crying shame.

What am I going to read now....?

See you at Telford Spence and Alan. The beers are on me for a cracking job well done..!

Thank you very much - I couldn't agree more, but the decision really was out of my hands. I'm really pleased that you liked what we did with MAW - maybe one day I'll get to do it again...

Beer eh..? Mines a lager... :drink:

Spence

Well written Seawings. I didn't buy MIS before, but I started a subscription to MAW when it was introduced. A very good magazine indeed! But with only a 50% share of aircraft content in future MIS I will go back to my previous relationship to Traplet Publications, i.e. stop my subscription. Since MIS is not sold through the newsagents in my region, I will spent my money otherwise.

Nils

• 1 month later...

Purchased the combined Military in Scale today, very disappointed with aviation content and as for the armour side of the magazine that will not get read, so for £4.50 in my opinion a waste of the money.

Won't be buying anymore issues which considering the Aviation title was very good, they have lost my money altogether.

Actually having a quick flick through the new MIS in WHSmiths this morning.

I think it's great, and being an Armour modeller foremost.

I get techniques from the aircraft articles, so when I do eventually buy it, I can put these techniques into practice.

So I won't be wasting my money on buying MIS or AMW.

Edited by daz greenwood

Actually having a quick flick through the new MIS in WHSmiths this morning.

I think it's great, and being an Armour modeller foremost.

I get techniques from the aircraft articles, so when I do eventually buy it, I can put these techniques into practice.

So I won't be wasting my money on buying MIS or AMW.

Agree with that sentiment albeit I'm an aircraft modeller firstly but the techniques used by the armour guys can prove very useful for the aircraft brigade, which is why I like the Tamiya mag except it is a little thin.

I bought the magazine and I quite liked it, I would have preferred a bit more depth in the articles on how some of the effects were achieved rather than just a reeling off the steps taken to achieve the result.

I didn't think much of MAW, a bit too me too for my liking but I will buy more issues of MIS.

I think the latest MiS is an absolute corker - spot on for my tastes. The whole magazine has a quality feel to it and the articles still focus mainly on the modelling techniques used, which is why I but MiS in the first place (of course it helps that I build both armour and aircraft too). I've learned more about how to improve my model making skills from the articles in MiS than I have from any other magazine, so it will continue to get my money.

great Mag liked it will definitly buy the next edition....and it's not often I say that!!