Model Aviation World To Cease Publication...

Spence

Hello everyone.

It is with some considerable regret that I have been informed that Model Aviation World Magazine has now ceased to exist in its present form and that November's issue will be the last one. Below, you will find a press release that has been written to explain the situation. If anyone needs any more information please can you contact James Mason using the email address included in the release. You will see that the aircraft content will now transfer over into the larger MIS and so all articles already commissioned will still be published and I am hoping to find time to talk to my authors in more detail as time allows.

Spencer Pollard

Press Release

Media Contact: James Mason, Marketing Executive, Traplet Publications Ltd

+44 (0) 1684 588521; [email protected]

Release date: 27 September 2010

Model Aviation World and Military in Scale magazines to merge in new-look title.

Malvern, Worcestershire, UK – Traplet Publications Ltd has announced that its two scale plastic modelling magazines will merge into the new-look, 84-page magazine Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World. This will be effective from the December issue (on sale 11th November 2010).

The new-look Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World will feature an approximate 50/50 distribution of features and articles dedicated to aviation and armour modelling. The 84-pagination is an increase of 16 pages, to accommodate the increased range of interests that will be reported on in the magazine.

Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World will continue to commission articles from the world’s best modellers in a variety of scales and disciplines, and it is hoped that by increasing the scope of the magazine’s focus, it can also encourage modellers to explore techniques and modelling themes that they would not previously have knowledge of.

A spokesperson for Traplet Publications commented “We have taken the decision to incorporate both of our quality scale modelling publications under one banner in order to define a specific and dedicated niche within the market. By covering armour and aviation, the magazine has a great selling point within the modelling market.”

Traplet Publications is currently in the process of contacting contributors, subscribers, advertisers and stockists of Model Aviation World in order to inform them of the change to the magazine. Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World will have a wider distribution in the UK and in the overseas markets than was possible for Model Aviation World alone.

In the UK alone, Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World will be available in 450 W H Smiths, 514 independent news retailers, plus many other outlets, including the all best modelling shops, Martin McColls newsagents and selected CO-OP stores

That's a shame, as it was the only aviation mag I can read these days due to the decline in the others... but as the guys have said, at least the content will be transferred to MIS under your auspices, so the quality will remain high :)

I've just cancelled my subscription.

I have been a Traplet subscriber for many years with their radio control model mags, when I was subscribing to 4 I found that some articles would appear in all 4 mags, not good value for money. I don't want a magazine diluted with armour as my only interest is aviation. They combined two mags years ago and didn't work for me.

Soap box back in the cupboard now.

Andrew

I think that I have let my MIS subscription lapse as I did not like the new all military format, I will have to review that decision now.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

well i was sad when they split into 2, as i model both (altough i hated the ww1 stuff and never read it, but i know people do so not a prob for me) but i could a couple of issues of the aircraft one (still getting my MIS) but i thought the mag was crap...last one i only got cos i was ill and stuck in the house, never seen such a poor mag and it made my mind up never to bother getting it again. i got the odd one or 2 before if it had a article about a kit i really liked.

one think i think that is poor with MIS is the lack of 72nd military, and i really liked years ago that guy that scratchbuilt a lot of stuff...

wish they would look at 72nd/76th metal and resin kits, figures too more on the military side, know you cant please everyone....

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh??!!

I love PR people - the way he's made that press release sound like a marvellous new idea - when it's really 'just let's go back to how it was'!!!

I have to admit that when the change to MiS was first announced I was quite disappointed as I liked the mix in the original format. Now I'm disappointed that probably the best 'all aviation' (with the possible exception of Air Modeller) mag currently on the market is disappearing!!! C'est la vie.....!!!

Keef

Sorry to hear that Spence, but very glad that MiS will continue as it's one of my favourites. Mrcooljules - I personally thought the 1/72 content had increased quite a bit over the last year or so (for as long as MAW was around) but aren't all military modelling mags a bit light on 1/72 content?

Sorry to hear that Spence, but very glad that MiS will continue as it's one of my favourites. Mrcooljules - I personally thought the 1/72 content had increased quite a bit over the last year or so (for as long as MAW was around) but aren't all military modelling mags a bit light on 1/72 content?

yeah they are, in the last few weeks each night in bed i reread copies of MIS, some cracking 72nd articles, but few and far between.

i have been making the quick build armourfast tanks in the last couple of years (this week with the STUGs) but adding little extra's, nowt over the top or expensive sets, but bits of scrap plastic and odds n sods.

man-vegetables!

I'd given up on SAM, and MAM has transformed from a great magazine into American Military Aircraft Monthly, so MAW was becoming my favourite modelling mag. Don't know if I'll buy the 'joint' one as I have no interest in 1/35th military (I actually thought MIS had stopped publication a few years back as WH Smith put it with After he Battle rather than the modelling mags!!)

Just had a look on the MAW website, the last issue - battle of britain special - looks like an absolute cracker. Shame it didn't get more of a chance to prove itself, but at least it's going out on a high.

Hi Spence - sorry to hear this news. Hope its not going to affect your employment?

Actually - a revamped MIS oith a more even split between armour and air could be pretty good. I'll be the first to say that SAM has got better in recent editions, but its not not back to what it used to be. the others mags are muchy muchy, so a forceful new MIS woth added avaition could be pretty good.

I am guessing that the circulation figures for MAW weren't as good as hoped, because thats the only reason mags get pulled or combined ( well someone had to ask didnt they)?

Hope it all works out for you, and the "new" mag is a success.

take care

Jonners

'I said when I was at the academy I wouldn't get into one of these time-paradox things...'

Aren't we now back were we started? MiS and MAW were all one magazine not so long ago, and the reason I used to buy it so often was because it combined armour and aviation subjects in a way that reminded me of the olde Scale Models back when that was a worthwhile publication.

So now we've gone from Military in Scale, to Military in Scale and Model Aviation World and now to Military in Scale incorporating Model Aviation World?

Well, at least no one has tried to tell me it was all a dream!.. Yet!

Gutted mate, but your work shall go on. Don't think it perhaps had quite enough time to "bed" in, but hey I did like the MIS format, always thought it was the only truly universal publication with perhaps the exeption of FSM, though MIS was definitely of a higher standard.

always thought it was the only truly universal publication with perhaps the exeption of FSM,

To be honest I think Tamiya Model Mag is more truly universal than either of them, as it includes civilian subjects as well. That's going to be something lacking in MiS now, as MAW was covering civvie aviation subjects as well - they don't really fall into the scope of MiS!

will our exisiting MAW subscriptions automatically cease or will we be getting MIS in the post instead?

Letters have been sent out explaining the situation to our subscribers of MAW and how the sub can transfer over. If you need any more info, please contact James Mason using the email address at the top of the press release.

All the best, Spence