Desert Jag.

Smiffy

No piccies yet, just thought I'd get my thread on here.

I've made a start by adjusting the kit to fit the Neomega pit ( I didn't realise when I ordered it, but its actually designed to fit the Italeri kit :doh: ). But, it is a really nice set, so it's worth a little bit of effort to get it in.

Looks like I'm gonna have to scratch a new nose gear bay, but I've got the Aries main gear bays on the way in the (slow) post.

When I've made some decent progress worth showing, I'll stick some pics up.

Edited by Smiffy

Nothing exciting to report as yet. :shrug:

I managed to get the Neomega pit to fit now, so I'll be washing the bits and then giving 'em a primer coat.

I did get my main gear bays in the post yesterday, so I might start hacking into the fuse halves tonight.

Oh and they are the Pavla ones not Aries like I said in my first post.

Still waiting for a couple more bits to arrive as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, not done much for about a week. I've been fighting a poxy cold and didn't really feel in a modelling mood.

But I'm starting to feel a bit less crappy (just got to get rid of this bloody cough).

Right......pics.

Jag.jpg

This is most of what I've managed to pull together. What I don't use on this kit I'll probably use on an Airfix GR.3 thats in the stash.

I'm really impressed with the PP set (which I got off e-bay). Very comprehensive.

As I said in the last post, the Neomega pit now fits quite nicely (just blu-tacked in at the mo).

Gonna need a little bit of filling around the edge of the coaming, but nothin major.

Jag1.jpg

This set is very well detailed for such a small size. I hope I can do it justice when it comes time to paint.

Tonight I've been working on the main gear/cannon bays.

Jag2.jpg

Got them all cut out now and have started cleaning 'em up.

BTW. A word of warning if you've got this Pavla gear bay set. Don't follow the cutting guide on the supplied instructions. The shaded area to be cut away shown in the instructions is wrong ( the main gear doors can be used to get the correct pattern).

• 4 months later...

Well, after being distracted by loads of other stuff, it's about time I got back to me Jag, I reckon.

I may have left it a bit late I fear, but I'm gonna have a crack at getting her finished.

First. Got the Pavla wheel and gun bays installed. I've also added some stuff inside the airbrake bays just to make it look a bit busy.

1.jpg

The Neomega cockpit is pretty much done, just waiting for the paint to dry, then I'll give it a matt coat.

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

The kit comes with the nose gear well moulded onto the bottom of the cockpit, so I chopped the bugger off. I had to do a bit of surgery to reduce the height (without affecting the nose gear), so it would fit beneath the resin pit. Then I added some crap in the bay, again just to busy it up a bit.

5a.jpg

While I was waiting for stuff to dry, I tackled one of the bits that I've been dreading doing. The P.E airbrakes.

After much dropping and pinging of parts and gnashing of teeth, I dont think they turned out to bad.

When viewed from the outside, looking through the slots, they've got that nice double skinned effect.

6a.jpg

I've also started to modify the nose gear, which comes with a solid moulded yoke. So out came the drill.

7a.jpg

All being well and good, I'll be spraying the wheel bays etc with a coat of Zinc chromate, this afternoon.

;)

Looking good. All very familiar territory for me here... apart from the main wheel bays!

I now predict lots of careful filing out of the nose gear leg, followed by the thing going 'ping' and breaking into three bits that you have to stick back together... :shithappens:

OOOOhhh and ahhh

yoiu and me both working on this kit. I did what you are doing to the nose gear leg just last night- but Im a little peed off as I hadnt a clue those resin parts were available when i started mine- damn- and you look to be doing a great job. Scheme?

I have the airwaves set for the airbrakes- but only single skinned- your's look pretty excellent I must say. I'm going to have another crack at one of these in the future- maybe a two seater even..

OOOOhhh and ahhh

yoiu and me both working on this kit. I did what you are doing to the nose gear leg just last night- but Im a little peed off as I hadnt a clue those resin parts were available when i started mine- damn- and you look to be doing a great job. Scheme?

I have the airwaves set for the airbrakes- but only single skinned- your's look pretty excellent I must say.

Why, thank you.

I've decided it's gonna be Johnny Fartpants, using the MA decals.

I've got that Airwaves set as well. My thinking was that if I screwed up the PP airbrakes, then I could fall back on the Airwaves ones.

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing a 2 seater as well.

Where are the pics of yours then?.

Why, thank you.

Where are the pics of yours then?.

Well Mike said he was coming round to take some pics- but he never showed :popcorn:

Can you still get the PP stuff?

Currently I'm trying to decide if its worth fiddling around doing the nose light- I've already opened up both sides- but to squueze in a lamp you gotta be a bit clever

Edited by Mentalguru

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I have to face the fact that I'm not gonna get this done in the time available though. I just left it too late and I'm not gonna rush it and risk cocking it right up. I'm still gonna be working on it, but I'm gonna be switching my focus to my Motorsport GB entries (I'm determined to finish something for one of the groupbuilds :rolleyes: ).

Funny thing is, in the old days I used to be really proliffic and was able to crank out a couple of models a month, but now my building pace is........well, slower than a slow thing on a slow bus from slowsville.

Sorry lads, I'm really disappointed not to finish and feel like I'm letting the side down a bit.

Ohh well, onwards and upwards ehh. :shithappens: