From 262 to Meteor III

Fifer54

After the debacle of the Pegasus Me 262 (which I will complete at some point)

I'm having another go with the Airfix Gloster Meteor:

002-1.jpg

Ready. Steady.

G-G-Go!!

Edited by MadNurseGaz

Making progress with this li'l ol'Airfix jobbie! An hour and three-quarters into

the build and the airframe is assembled ready for the first paint. My kit of the Meatbox

has 3 colour options, a DG/DSG/MSG aircraft of 616 Sqn, an all-white plane of 616, or a

DG/DSG/MSG 74 Sqn kite.

DSCF0042.jpg

Hopefully, I'll soon have more to show you.

Oooh 74 sqn please :please:

Well, quite honestly I was torn between which one to do. I did know I didn't want

to do the white one, nothing wrong with it, I've built it in the past, but getting decent

coverage with matt white can take so many coats that I didn't want to risk it! I've been

a fan of 74 Sqn since they rode Lightnings at Leuchars in the mid '60s when I was an Air Cadet.

Leuchars was the local fighter airfield then, when I still lived in Kirkcaldy, and I've followed the

"Tigers" ever since.......

As an aside, I recently found an old photo of me and two cousins standing in front of a Meteor at

a BoB airshow at Leuchars in about 1962 (Well, I look about 8 years old!)

But then again, 616 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn RAuxAF was the local fighter squadron, AND they

introduced the Meteor into service, and brought the RAF into the "jet age". Ooooooh, I can't

make up my mind. Luckily the colour schemes OOB are identical, so I don't have to decide until

decalling time! I may be influenced in my decision by the fact that I have a Revell Lightning to build,

and that could go in 74Sqn markings, if I can find some................

Anyhoo, here's where I'm up to:

003-1.jpg

And that's it for tonight. See you all in the morning. I've got until 1600 hrs to finish!

You wimp, who needs sleep :tease:

cough, cough....SWMBO says.... I do!

About to make a start this AM, and I've realised that I could invoke the ""2x12 hour sessions" clause in the rules to give me until

2200 hours to finish, 'cos I only did 10 hours total yesterday, so I was wrong about having until 1600, I've got all day......

and believe me, I'll need it!!

Here's a starter pic for today:

004-1.jpg

And... they're off!

Yeah it's tough doing it all in one day and fitting in sleep, I was very tired yesterday evening!

Looking good with the Meteor, Nice to see you've laughed in the face of adveristy and continue to chuckle.

Rowan.

Edited by rowmk9

008-2.jpg

Well, that's done! I don't think I've ever had so much go wrong with my modelling in so short a space of time!

Paint troubles with the first model that caused me to abandon it.

When I gave the Meteor its 2nd coat of MSG underneath after leaving the first coat an hour and a half (Humbrol

acrylic, The first coat started flaking off! I didn't mention it because a second paint problem looked like carelessness!

But an hour later I was able torub the paint off with my fingers and start again- this time it was satisfactory.

A nosewhell door was missing, so I had to fabricate a pair of doors from plastic card (only one would look very strange

if the other was 3 times as thick!), and then, right at the end, as I was attaching the nosewheel doors, the third (front)

door, the one I'd applied a decal to, pinged off from my tweezers and was eaten by the carpet monster! Plastic card to the rescue

again, although there's no decal on this one.

It has a tail prop because the BluTak I crammed into the nose isn't enough!

THAT'S JUST GREAT!!!

I never thought to see it finished right in time!

Congratulation!

now I know what the nickname "Mad" stands for :P:D

Edited by Micha

Thank you all for your kind words about my model.

I am under no illusions about the standard of my modelling, but I do know that my models are (slowly)

improving thanks to the help and encouragement I get on here.

I am pleased with this model, though, I think I've made a breakthrough in my finishing. The final gloss

and matt varnish coats have gone on a lot "lighter" and less thick than on my past models- the secret? For the first

time I thinned my MicroGloss and MicroFlat about 2/3 varnish to 1/3 distilled water. My matt finish is dead

flat, which is too dull, but I've improved! The paint underneath is still uneven and full of brushmarks, with streaks and

"bumps", but if I thin my paint like my varnish, maybe that'll improve too........

Oh, and my decals don't silver either!

Maybe i'm not :deadhorse: after all, Usually I look at other people's models and want to give up modelling, they're so much

better than mine. I don't feel like that now!! I'm just rambling now, I want to let people know how much of a difference

Britmodeller makes, to me at least....

:coat:

Nice Meteor...congrats on the completion...as far as improving building models, the more you do it, the better the results tend to be... :analintruder:

BlitzBCheers,

ggc

great job finishing the model after changing half way through.

And don't worry about the finish on your models, as you're seeing improvement you're on the right curve. I am at a point where I am quite happy with my models, but I know there's still much room for imporvement, it just takes time and practice. I've only had my airbrush about 14 months now and its only because I've constantly churned out kit after kit with it that I'm starting to see results. I don't have an uber brush either, just a cheap double-action brush and compressor deal that I got for £100, it's been great for cutting my teeth with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry, we all have something to contribute to this wonderful website, and we can all learn something too. Stick with it and the results will come. Oh and 1/72 is great to learn with, it is the one true scale!

Best