Vulcan news

seanrgb

The camera man clearly wasn't up to filming moving objects :angry:

Yeah... I could have done better with my little JVC camcorder :rolleyes:

What did he think was going to happen when he suddenly stopped panning? It was totally amateurish camerawork, and the guy deserves a rocket :S

I have just been off line for a couple days with 'puter problems, and I come back to this!

Superb news, and a very well done to all who were involved.

I can understand John's concerns a little. Let's hope that they have the aircrew and support needed. If I recall correctly, the last RAF Vulcan Display Flight Crews were drawn from the VC10 fleet, so we do have a few multi engined crew with the experience to keep her going. I am sure they will be queuing up for a go!

Thanks Len. Like everyone else, I'm delighted she's successfully become airborne again. Watching those beasts demonstrating serious back of the drag curve flying at displays was a highlight of the Sixties and Seventies at airshows. Not to mention darkening the skies with 4 x Olympus exhausts ! I expect some of the earlier exuberance won't be seen now, but.... Yes, those VC10 crews will have some fun. Now there's another aircraft which could display well, and did at old time Farnborough. Seriously overpowered at light weight.

To Bill - ouch (miaouw - have another saucer of milk there, chum.) A wee bit of realism isn't really spoiling anyone's party. Euphoria doesn't replace engineering and careful thinking. Aviation is a great game, but it's totally b***** unforgiving of mistakes. I spent enough years as an instructor trying to get THAT idea across.

( Incidentally the (Sc) stands for Scotland, where I come from - because the name John B was taken - not on this site, but another where I occasionally post. Still - thanks all for the inventive and amusing alternatives. )

I'd guess Bruntingthorpe is specified as the only approved maintenance facility by the CAA, after all their rigorous demonstrations and inspections which went on. Wonder what Waddingtom has that B doesn't. Most fields have a compass swing platform somewhere. Maybe they specified it would be done to RAF standards, hence easier done at W.

Better to stick to well known, good practice unless there is a good reason to change?

Edited by John B (Sc)

Sorry John, but your post was a little doom and gloom. You mention the Vulcan only being able to make slow passes at airshows, or something like that - yeah, and........... I appreciate that the Vulcan wont be everyone's favourite kite, as it clearly isn't yours, but today's pretty special so at least try and understand everyones enthusiasim.

Realism? only time will tell.

Enthusiasm is for the great crowd of well-wishers today... realism is for the chaps actually doing the flying now & for the rest of 558's flying career. I feel content just to enjoy the show, and think that I may well have to join Caz & myself up to the club, so I can do my bit (again). ^_^

Just having a trawl on a French modelling forum (no banter though) - I translated the page into English but this is how XH558 is coming across - enjoy :D

Master194.com XH558

EDIT: Damn the link takes you to the main section i/o of this topic. Ok if interested to have a gander, go to the forum, then Model & Aeronautics then "The Vulcan has a revole today

Edited by Gary West

Well, I predict that Airfix should do pretty well at future airshows, should they re-release their 1/72 Vulcan kits...having said that, ian t (Ian Taylor - Heritage models) may just snick in there with his 1/32 vacform Vulcan kit?...if all else fails, his kit would make a pretty handy sister airframe to '558! :lol::lol:

Derek

Well, I predict that Airfix should do pretty well at future airshows, should they re-release their 1/72 Vulcan kits...having said that, ian t (Ian Taylor - Heritage models) may just snick in there with his 1/32 vacform Vulcan kit?...if all else fails, his kit would make a pretty handy sister airframe to '558! :lol::lol:

Derek

morning derek, strangely enough just got back from the vacformers yesterday, the vulcan main moulds are now in resin and awaiting polishing...boy do they look the bizniss :speak_cool: had a lump in my throat watching 558, as an engineer i know what those lads have been through! as for the aircrew getting all the kudos remember

YOU CAN TEACH A MNKEY TO RIDE A BIKE BUT HE WONT MEND HIS OWN PUNCTURES!

ian

Edited by iant

I thought that's where it was gonna stay for a while to "work up", as it were?

Any idea where the post about the NOTAM is? Just wondering what the NOTAMs about as I'm only afew miles away from Waddo and would be gutted if it's something to do with 558.

Great video on you tube

Nice spot Sean, I'd just had a look on youtube and didn't find this one. Found a couple of other iffy ones, but this ones great!

The more and more I think about this I'm gutted. Yesterday morning I was just faffing around doing nothing in particular. Had I paid more attention I could have gone over and enjoyed this first hand! :doh:

Anybody got any ideas when the next 2 certification flights will be yet? Guess it'll be kept fairly quiet to avoid masses going there...

Karl.

To Bill - ouch (miaouw - have another saucer of milk there, chum.) A wee bit of realism isn't really spoiling anyone's party. Euphoria doesn't replace engineering and careful thinking. Aviation is a great game, but it's totally b***** unforgiving of mistakes.

Whoa John, a little touchy aren't we? I've known you long enough to know what the B(Sc) stands for !!..... I was just pulling your leg matey................ :chillpill:

I would think that the TVOC are well aware of the Realism , engineering and careful thinking involved, likewise I'm sure that theres enough on here to realise that '558 ain't gonna be doing any low level bombing raids, or working MRR over the North Sea! This euphoric post was to rejoice in the fact that '558 was fying again, after a heroic amount of effort by an awful lot of people and so what? Even if this flying is limited to a few flypasts at a few selected airshows- you'd deny us that spectacular spectacle?

Bill C(Eng) :innocent:

Whoa John, a little touchy aren't we? I've known you long enough to know what the B(Sc) stands for !!..... I was just pulling your leg matey................ :chillpill:

I would think that the TVOC are well aware of the Realism , engineering and careful thinking involved, likewise I'm sure that theres enough on here to realise that '558 ain't gonna be doing any low level bombing raids, or working MRR over the North Sea! This euphoric post was to rejoice in the fact that '558 was fying again, after a heroic amount of effort by an awful lot of people and so what? Even if this flying is limited to a few flypasts at a few selected airshows- you'd deny us that spectacular spectacle?

Bill C(Eng) :innocent:

Sorry Bill - didn't mean to sound touchy, or upset anyone's euphoria.

It's just that if anything , even quite minor, does go pear shaped , we all know the b****y journos will be all over the place, sanctimoniously demanding that 'something should be done. That will mean ALL vintage aeroplanes getting a very rough ride with the CAA, or being grounded totally - they nearly did that once before.

Incidentally I like the suggestion elsewhere on this site from ?Viggen? or similar about having a proper Historic Flught. Won't happen of course, this being book=keeper bound Britain, but works superbly in Sweden !

See you at Telford?

Any idea where the post about the NOTAM is? Just wondering what the NOTAMs about as I'm only afew miles away from Waddo and would be gutted if it's something to do with 558.

Hi Dean

best thing to do is Check out the TVOC Forum HERE

You may have to scroll around all the threads ..but I'm sure it will be in there somewhere

I'll have a look around there later on

Edited by seanrgb

Well looks like no more flights for 2weeks ..the guys are taking a well earned Holiday

They deserve it

Well looks like there maybe more Test Flights

I'm working my way around various forums where TVOC Staff are members

but seem to be getting different stories

think I may have to get off my backside and join up the TVOC Forum and ask around

but the notam for waddo has dissapeared ,.... so looks like I'm going to go blind with all this reading

Afternoon all,

Sorry for the delay in posting. As you may have guessed, there was quite a party on Thursday night, so consequently, I spent much of yesterday feeling sorry for myself!!!

Unfortunately, there will be no further test flights from XH558 for at least 2 weeks. The team are all on a 2 week holiday now, after a very busy 6 months. The aircraft was scheduled to fly again the day after, on the Friday, but sadly, both Fire Tenders went U/S!!!

The crews are all highly experienced Vulcan crew, with the majority being ex Vulcan QFI's. Indeed, Al Mc Dicken was BAE's chief test pilot, and is a current test pilot, so there are no worries there. Aside from anything else, I am surprised that you feel that a current ATPL flying 767's would be better suited to somebody with 35 years and thousands of hours experience on type. Also, the Ex VDF crews were all ex-Vulcan, but by that stage had moved across to the Victor.

Flipflopman

Afternoon all,

Sorry for the delay in posting. As you may have guessed, there was quite a party on Thursday night, so consequently, I spent much of yesterday feeling sorry for myself!!!

Unfortunately, there will be no further test flights from XH558 for at least 2 weeks. The team are all on a 2 week holiday now, after a very busy 6 months. The aircraft was scheduled to fly again the day after, on the Friday, but sadly, both Fire Tenders went U/S!!!

The crews are all highly experienced Vulcan crew, with the majority being ex Vulcan QFI's. Indeed, Al Mc Dicken was BAE's chief test pilot, and is a current test pilot, so there are no worries there. Aside from anything else, I am surprised that you feel that a current ATPL flying 767's would be better suited to somebody with 35 years and thousands of hours experience on type. Also, the Ex VDF crews were all ex-Vulcan, but by that stage had moved across to the Victor.

Flipflopman

Good to see you Ron, and sad as we'll all be not to see her fly for another couple of weeks, you've all worked so hard & deserve the time off. It was brilliant to see her fly again for the first of many times, and we're all very grateful... :thumbsup: