Curtiss F11C-2

p-26luvr

This is a model I started so long ago that I do not remember when I did. It is a Monogram 1/72nd scale F11C-2. This is a picture of the box art. The kit first came out in 1968 & is very basic for the cockpit. I added a seat & control stick. I am not sure, but you might find one now & again at a yard sale. It is an easy & fun kit to build. Aligning the top wing is very easy, because the cabane struts are part of the fuselage mouldings. All you need to be sure to do before assembly is to drill all of your rigging holes. These 3 pictures show you the way the model looks now. OK lets go. Carl T :speak_cool:IMAG000323.jpg

With a tip of my hat & a wink to the Silver Wing group & David Valinski; I call this my 3/4 Silver Wing model. ( bottom wing & underside of the top wing. Does that count correctly ? LOL )

This is a picture of the model as it is now. Carl T

IMAG000235.jpg

This is a picture of the decals I will be using. They are new & will save me from having to paint the striping.

If you look at the fuselage in the picture above you will see the cabane struts as moulded as part of the fuselage. And the same for the landing gear struts. These make this one of the easiest biplane models to assemble ever. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000417.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I painted the first coat of red on the tailplanes, & the first thin coat of flat white undercoat paint on the top of the upper wing preparitory to painting the gloss yellow. I painted the lower wing in Floquil Old Silver as well. Ithinned the walls in the opening to the cockpit since they are quite wide. The lower wing has an annoying little release hole right inside the interplane struts. The underside of the upper wing has an even dozen of these that will have to be removed. Thankfully the wing is one piece & has no sink marks. Also the small depressions are not very deep. There are none on the bottom of the lower wing. Carl T :speak_cool:

This picture shows what I painted on my model today. Where the model is so small I am brush painting it. The red on the tailplanes & the white on the top of the upper wing are both 2nd undercoats of paint. I will paint the top of the upper wing in chrome yellow in a couple of days, after the white paint has thoroughly dried, & the same for the tailplanes, except in red. While these are drying I will be painting the wheels & motor. If you look closely at the interplane struts, the outer 2, you will see that the forward one is missing. This is because they were broken in one of our home moves. I will replace it during final assembly. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000236.jpg

Doug, Yes I am enjoying this model very much. It is the first Curtiss Hawk I have built in over 25 years. The first one was a Hasegawa 1/32nd scale BF2C.

This picture shows the metal parts at the front of the plane better. I used Model Master aircraft grey to paint these areas. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000134.jpg

The picture above shows very clearly what I said before about the cabane struts & landing gear being moulded integrally with the fuselage parts. The 2 panels that go between the cabane struts & the landing gear are seperate parts & are glued in place between them. Carl T :speak_cool:

I have been concentrating so much on this model that I forgot i have another unbuilt one. These 2 pictures show better some of the things I have mentioned. This first one is of the 2 fuselage halves, both inside & out. Please notice the built in struts. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000135.jpg

In this picture the complete interplane struts are at the top, & the top cover that goes between the cabane struts is below to the left. The panel that goes between the landing gears is to the right. I hope these pictures give you a better idea of how the model goes together. And some idea of why I consider it a fun kit to build. If you see one for sale you might consider buying it. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000136.jpg

Christopher, This model I am now working on was assembled many years ago, so the Starfighter interior was not available at the time. I will probably use it with the second kit, & the coversion to make a BFC-2 as well. What this short series of builds is about is finishing models I have assembled years ago, & have gotten back to finishing now. If you look in the WW1 section you will find 2 more models I have finished.

I have been painting on the model this morning. The first coat of gloss red on the tailplanes; gloss yellow on the top wing; gloss blue on the cowling; gloss grey on thr wheel covers; & dark grey on the motor. The model is coming together much faster than I anticipated,& I am now wondering what has taken me so long to get around to finishing it befote now. I will post pictures of my progress once the paint is dry enough to handle. Carl T :speak_cool:

If I may, I will add this to what I just said up above. I am hoping that this short series might encourage some other modelers with unfinished models to get them out & finish them off. All 3, plus the Hawker Demon I did on the ATF site have been fun to work on, & all have given me a great deal of satisfaction when they are done. What more can you ask for. Carl T :hobbyhorse::speak_cool:

This is the first of 3 pictures showing the model in a trial assembly set-up. Nothing is glued together. The pictures will give you an idea of what the finished model will look like. On the finished model there will be a blue band behind the cockpit with the squadron number, plane number in the squadron , & an F for fighter designation, & a blue V in the center of the upper wing . Plus the national stars in a circle on the wings. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000238.jpg

This is the view of the front. The motor is quite well detailed for when this model was first released in 1968. The push rods & fins are clearly shown, & there is even a spark plug wire to be painted up. There will be a fuel tank between the landing gear legs, on the bottom of the fuselage. The wheels fit snuggly in the wheel pants. I will be using foil on the propeller, in order to get a more realistic polished metal look. Carl T :speak_cool:

IMAG000419.jpg

Well everything has now had it's final coat of gloss paint & is ready to be assembled. I will be waiting a few days, in order to let the paint to thoroughly harden up. In the final yellow coat of paint I added a little red paint in order to bring the color closer to the real color. I will be using Bare Metal Foil on the propeller.

Doug this model is coming along so good that I got out my Monogram F4B-4, P6E, & Matchbox P-12E. I have the Starfighter resin cockpits. I also have the O-Limp P6E. I am thinking of having mmy own private little unofficial group build as it were. The total number of models will be 6. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

That leaves my Hawker Furies & a conversion of a Demon into an Osprey for your Silver Wings group build.

What do you think about this ? Carl T :speak_cool:

BTW, for anyone interested, my next 2 models in this series of finishing up unbuilt models will appear in the WW2 section. They will be an F6F Hellcat & an Me 109 G6. Both with resin & etch-brass detailing. I will be starting to post preliminary pictures soon. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Well everything has now had it's final coat of gloss paint & is ready to be assembled. I will be waiting a few days, in order to let the paint to thoroughly harden up. In the final yellow coat of paint I added a little red paint in order to bring the color closer to the real color. I will be using Bare Metal Foil on the propeller.

Doug this model is coming along so good that I got out my Monogram F4B-4, P6E, & Matchbox P-12E. I have the Starfighter resin cockpits. I also have the O-Limp P6E. I am thinking of having mmy own private little unofficial group build as it were. The total number of models will be 6. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

That leaves my Hawker Furies & a conversion of a Demon into an Osprey for your Silver Wings group build.

What do you think about this ? Carl T :speak_cool:

I have added to this assortment 3 camoflaged Hawker Furies. All are the A Model kit. 2 in Spanish markings & 1 in Yugoslavian markings. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Sounds good Carl, nice to see an Osprey.

I've got an Airfix Fury to do, which I may bring forward and try and do this year or early next year. Got a Roden Gladiator in my schedule early next year too!

I see Classic Airframes do a P-12E in 1/48, which is very tempting!

Doug, About a month from now I will be doing a comparative build of the Monogram & O-Limp 1/ 72nd P-6Es here on site. I will be doing them together in the same build article. I hve 2 Spitfires, 1 in each scale 1/72nd & 1/48th, over on the BoB group build on the ATF site. All I can say is to keep a watch on the work in progress section. Carl T :thumbsup: