Scale Aircraft Modelling

fatalbert

I had a good result this weekend,i popped into a model shop on the way to work and found a pile of old SAM magazines on the floor for 20p each.Some still have the small decal sheets that SAM somtimes came with.The best one for me being a Gloster Javelin set,this issue also has a conversion for the Frog /Heller Javelin plus scale plans. :thumbsup: .Ihavnt been through them all yet but i have found a set of Irish Air Corp rondels too.Does any one know what other decals SAM released.Many thanks....Neil

I have them all at home......There was a "Modern" RAF set too - with items for Nimrods, Phantom's, Tornado's (Yellow/white codes for TWCU, Black/White for the TTTE) and Lightnings with Pale blue/Pale red roundels and fin flashes........I'll have alook later to see if there were any others, but I think most have been covered here......well remembered everyone!

Edited by Bill Clark

I still have a full set of these decals unused, and have listed them below.

They are not listed in order of issue.

FALKLAND SEA HARRIERS

WILLIAM TELL MEET

U.S. ARMY HELICOPTERS

US NAVY LOW VIZ MARKINGS

IRISH AIR CORPS

SOUTH AFRICAN HARVARD / TEXAN

SEA HARRIER FRS.1

HP VICTOR B.2 WITTERING WING

RHODESIA/ZIMBABWE AIR FORCE

GLOSTER JAVELIN SQUADRON MARKINGS

PHANTOMS,LIGHTNING,TORNADO,HAWK,NIMROD

PAKISTAN AIR FORCE

SWASTIKAS

They did 15 sheets in total, usually tied in to the Aircraft in Detail feature, but not always, (IIRC the Javelin sheet was linked to a Heller / Frog-Novo crosskit conversion article).

In chronological order they were:

Sheet 72-001 - Irish Air Corps roundels and Code Letters

Sheet 72-002 - Sea Harrier FRS.1 700A, 800, 801 Squadron (Initial Colours)

Sheet 72-003 - Pakistan AF Shengyan F.6 & Mirage III

Sheet 72-004 - Gloster Javelin - 23, 33, 85, 89, 141, Squadron & 228 OCU

Sheet 72-005 - RAF Phantom, Lightning, Tornado, Hawk & Nimrod updates (the Tornado had just entered RAF service, that really does make me feel old)

Sheet 72-006 - US Army UH-1 / AH-1 Helo's in Vietnam

Sheet 72-007 - Rhodesia / Zimbabwe AF Roundels (2 styles RAF type with Assegai, Zimbabwe Lion in Green Ring)

Sheet 72-008 - N.A. Harvard / Texan - South African AF / Armee De L'Air

Sheet 72-009 - Falklands War, Sea Harrier, Lynx, Sea King

Sheet 72-010 - William Tell '82 - Michigan ANG F-4D Phantom, F-15A Eagle

Sheet 72-011 - H.P. Victor B.2 100, 139 Sqdn

Sheet 72-012 - US Navy Lo-Vis Schemes F-4N VF-154, A-7E VA-195, F/A-18A VX-4 (the Hornet had just entered USN/MC service, that also makes me feel old)

Sheet 72-013 - Swastikas 1939 - 43

Sheet 72-014 - Avro Lancaster - Argentina AF & India AF

Sheet 72-015 - FB-111 Tiger Meet scheme, R.Aux AF Meteors & Suez Crisis Hunters

I have them all.

Hope this helps

Ant

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies guys,i didnt realise they released so many.I wonder why they stopped.Looking at these old issues just shows me how far SAM has fallen ;o(.I love all the conversions,you dont seem to get them so much now.I look at the prices in the adverts and laugh plus its sad when one sees old shops that are no longer with us advertising in the mag.

They stopped because it became too expensive - they had to be inserted into the magazine by hand at the printers. They then tried the 'three in one issue' with the RAuxAF/F-111/Suez sheet but got the dampness problems that I mentioned. That apparently cost them a lot in replacement sheets.

• 4 weeks later...

I sold some on ebay some years ago, but going through the mags during the summer, brought back great memories, especially the conversions using the balsa and talc - wow the hobby has come a long way. I bought a lot of vac formed kits from Airmodel and Frank Modelle. I have a lovely kit of the Pembrook the earliest in 1:72 amongst others still in a box in the attic.

Anyone fancy a it of mixed media modelling?

Initially, the sheets were just slipped inside the magazines, which was fairly easy, but complaints kept rolling in that sheets were missing. There were dark suspicions that customers were lifting the sheets, then saying they were missing, to get another one. This led to them having to be stapled in, during the printing process, which made the whole thing uneconomical.

Edgar

• 3 months later...

Just got curious about this topic myself as I was looking at a Fujimi Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1 that I had done some time ago specifically to serve as a vehicle for those fine Scale Aircraft Modelling decals. That was a great magazine when it concentrated on actual modeling building and conversion how-tos and before it got bogged down with all the new product releases and essentially turned itself into a cover to cover advertisement.

166j60w.jpg

On the Lancaster sheet the options were Argentina and Egypt. Mine came without the protective cover and so has black ink on some of the stickies.Is there any way that these stains could be removed? I quite fancy doing an Argentinian example repainted in an experimental brick red scheme.

MH

Just got curious about this topic myself as I was looking at a Fujimi Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1 that I had done some time ago specifically to serve as a vehicle for those fine Scale Aircraft Modelling decals. That was a great magazine when it concentrated on actual modeling building and conversion how-tos and before it got bogged down with all the new product releases and essentially turned itself into a cover to cover advertisement.

166j60w.jpg

Now that is a superb Sea Harrier. :)